ATI Gurus

Shinobi

I just got my very first ATI Graphics Card and i'm after some advice as to which would be the best drivers to use...

Its an Asus 9600XT 128mb card. I did download the latest drivers for it that Asus have on their site, the 8.141's. Anyway, i get a weird issue with them. When i install them i get 2 "unknown devices" appearing in the Device Manager... A quick look on the Asus Forums it looks like i'm not the only 9600XT user to be experiencing this problem with these drivers.

Anyway, so far i'm quite impressed. I get just under 14,000 in 3DMark2001SE at stock settings. Thats about 4,000 more than my old MSI FX5600 :D

Its a shame ATI don't make their drivers as good as Nvidia do... I really don't like the layout for one, Nvidias are much better.

Anyway, can anyone recommend me some good drivers for a 9600XT? Omegas maybe? I never liked the Omega Nvidia drivers for my card but i'm hoping there maybe some good ones for this :)

What about overclocking? Rivatuner?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure about the two unknown devices but it might be cuz the card has vivo.. Try to install the WDM drivers here ..

Ive been using the 5.7 drivers but my card is way different then yours.. If I were you I'd try the Omega drivers.. I know AG swears by them.. For OC'n everyone will have their own preference but I like rivatuner.. I use its launcher feature this way my card only oc's when I select certain programs..

Shin.......

Thunda is correct about the WDM drivers, I had the unknown device issue when I installed my 9600XT from Asus, they have a WDM driver on their download site. I have always had "better" luck with the asus drivers with this card for some reasom but they are always behind the curve in being up to date w/ Catalyist....their Smart Doctor proggie is prety good but seems prety conservative with OC options, ATI Tool works well tho.......

GL

You have a 128mb video card, so the Catalyst 5.7's are definitely the way to go. Get the ones with the control panel. You can always get the omegas later when they come out.

I wouldn't recommend using ASUS drivers at all. Just use the official ones, no muss no fuss.

For overclocking I absolutely love ATI Tray tools, lot's of options and it works very smoothly.

Download here: http://www.radeon2.ru/atitray/

Im not sure about the two unknown devices but it might be cuz the card has vivo.. Try to install the WDM drivers here ..

Your spot on. The card does have Vivo, so that explains that. Thanks guys. Think i'll try out the 5.7's for now then. I'm just downloading the CCC version...

Its weird that, because i was sure i installed the WDM/Rage Theatre Driver originally, but i mustn't have done... Its all fine now anyway :)

I'm liking the 5.7 CCC so far, far better options :nod: I needed to install Microsoft .NET Framework though.

It says my Monitor supports resolutions upto 1920 x 1200 though and upto 160hz, but i don't know where its got that from :confused:

It actually supports upto 1600 x 1200 and upto 150hz...

Btw, what do you use to monitor the cards GPU and Memory Temps? I don't like Asus SmartDoctor... Probably be better just configuring MBM5 to read them eh?

Omega drivers have the ATI Tools or ATI Tray or something by Ray Adams built into them (plus you don't need .NET crap)

He beat me to it! The .NET drivers seem to add a little more overhead than the standard drivers. Once Omega gets his updated drivers out, there will be less bulk and possibly some fixes ATI missed.

I always thought my envision 17" monitor had a max resolution of 85hz and it said max reported was 120hz, I decided to install the driver from the website and viola I can now set refresh rate up to 120hz@ 640x480 100hz@ 800x600 it is very useful for stereo shutter glasses to help with the flicker. But my shutter glasses are destroyed so I have no need for those refresh rates(damn ultra thin wires).

Omega drivers have the ATI Tools or ATI Tray or something by Ray Adams built into them (plus you don't need .NET crap)

Hmmm, think i'm gonna have to make the switch to the Omega Drivers when he updates them then. I'm hoping they will give me a bit more performance too...

Does he do a Performance Set and Quality Set with the ATI ones as well?

Yeah Trevor, my Sony is a 17" so thats one of the things that makes me think 1920 x 1200 is a bit high... I know it can do 1600 x 1200 no problem, and thats a pretty high resolution for just a 17".

Well just been doing some benchmarking with the new drivers:

3dmark2001se5ar.th.png

Not too bad, thats at stock settings so hopefully i'll be able to get quite a bit higher overclocked.

all i know is that he's always claimed he has optimized his drivers based on teh ATI officials (and he's an official beta tester for ATI)

i don't worry much about quality/performance settings etc

i install them, clock up my card, then enabled AA and AF and go play games ;)

sorry if that is not as anal retentive as some like (I used to be like that so its not an insult) but these days I just want to install, set the clocks, and go play games heh