Sign in to follow this  
cjoe7

Is the LP NF3 939 ready for prime time?

Has the LP NF3 939 been fully debugged yet? I noticed that the NF3 939 thread is not at the top anymore. Does this mean its fully functional like the NF4 board?

Is there any performance difference between the NF4 and NF3 motherboards?

If there isn't any difference, I would like to use the NF3 MB with my AGP 6800GT and extra 939 CPU as a game machine. I would then use NF4 as my download machine.

Can I just unplug my current NF4 Sata Raid HDs and stick them into the NF3? or do I need to rebuild / reformat?

Thanks.

CJoe

I'm not really sure why people are complaining about this board. I've only had it for a few days but it seems fine to me.

One thing to look out for is the SATA ports on this motherboard. If you overclock it looks like you HAVE to use slots 3 or 4 because ports 1 and 2 go via a PHY that is NOT bus locked.

I haven't really done much overclocking so far but my 3200+ winchester is currently cruising along fine being overclocked by half a gigahert i.e my HTT is at 250. I have my kingmax ddr500 ram also running at 250 (ddr500) with the 1T setting on.

Pulling 6800mb/s in sandra.

The thing with all a64 boards is, memory settings. I have DDR500 memory and I know what the within-spec settings for it are (ie 3-5-5-10), so i'm fine.

No problems, stable. Haven't updated the bios.

My System :

Case : Lian Li V1000+

Motherboard : DFI Lanparty UT nF3 ULTRA D with Swiftech MCX159-R

Power Supply : Antec Truepower 480W

Memory : 2 x 512MB Kingmax "Hardcore" DDR500

CPU : Athlon64 3200+ "Winchester" Core with Thermalright XP120 heatsink

Video : Albatron Geforce 6800 Ultra with Zalman VF700-Cu VGA Cooler

Hard Disk : 300GB Maxtor Diamondmax10 Serial ATA (16mb cache)

Sound : Creative Audigy2 ZS PCI

DVD Burner : Pioneer DVR109 dual layer compatible

Has the LP NF3 939 been fully debugged yet?

Not by a long shot. I don't know WHY they took it off sticky, as it gets a hell of a lot more use than any other thread in this forum currently. Either way, the beta BIOSes that were released are not even safe to flash for everyone, and currently are not showing any benefits or fixes to the problems people have been having.

I've got one, and i'm running the stock BIOS. If you read the thread you will have seen the issue of one of the vCore-releated resistors on the board - the need to replace this resistor may cause a revision 2 of the board. It essentially undervolts the CPU, and when removing it, it causes the CPU to overvolt. Replacing it with a resistor of different resistance will most likely fix it, or if you're game, to use a trimpot and adjust it yourself.

Anyway, with that said, there are plenty of people that have absolutely no issues with this board, or have problems that are easily manageable.

For now it's probably good to wait it out and see how things turn out with the resistor issue. It's a damn shame though, after waiting all this time for so many of us, to be let down by all these issues. Though I have faith in DFI that eventually all these issues can be resolved.

Hope that helps.

---dens

If you read the thread you will have seen the issue of one of the vCore-releated resistors on the board - the need to replace this resistor may cause a revision 2 of the board. It essentially undervolts the CPU, and when removing it, it causes the CPU to overvolt. Replacing it with a resistor of different resistance will most likely fix it, or if you're game, to use a trimpot and adjust it yourself.

Anyway, with that said, there are plenty of people that have absolutely no issues with this board, or have problems that are easily manageable.

For now it's probably good to wait it out and see how things turn out with the resistor issue. It's a damn shame though, after waiting all this time for so many of us, to be let down by all these issues. Though I have faith in DFI that eventually all these issues can be resolved.

Hope that helps.

---dens

Yeah, I skimmed through last few pages and read about the resistor issue earlier. I was very confused why this thread was removed from from the sticky list with such a significant issue. Are all the boards affected by this problem?

I'm really disappointed because I've waited since Feb 2005. I finally gave up and purchased the NF4. However, I still have a really good spare parts: 6800GT AGP video, 939 CPU, 6GB memory, several HDs, and another Exos water kit.

Moreover, my girlfriend wants my current download machine so I need a replacement machine now. I'm really tempted to purchase a Shuttle SN25P with another PCI-E video card and forget about the DFI NF3.

CJoe

I'm really disappointed because I've waited since Feb 2005.

lol you think you're disappointed? There are some who have been waiting for this for an extremely long time, one of them being AG. I became interested since about a year before it was officially released, and at the end of last year got fed up and bought a Neo2. I've kept both now, and they've both got their own problems, but nothing's perfect.

Yeah you've been lucky RebelsHaven ;) I'm sure many people are envious of your setup. Including me :shake:

Anyway, with the amount of parts that you've got ready for it, i'd say it'd be worth going for the board. If I were in your shoes i'd take the risk, as the board itself is relatively inexpensive - it's not as if you're choosing between the most expensive NF4 boards.

---dens

I've had very few problems with the board, but I run G.Skill "LE" and the board loves TCCD..... Specs in siggie:

What's the significance of TCCD with this particular board over other memories like BH5 / CH5?

Yeah, I got "LE" too but it doesn't have performance of the BH5 / CH5 with the tight timings. I could run my LE at 320HTT also but not at 1T on my NF4. I noticed that you're running yours at 2T. What is the best you could achieve at 1T?

Cjoe

What's the significance of TCCD with this particular board over other memories like BH5 / CH5?

Yeah, I got "LE" too but it doesn't have performance of the BH5 / CH5 with the tight timings. I could run my LE at 320HTT also but not at 1T on my NF4. I noticed that you're running yours at 2T. What is the best you could achieve at 1T?

Cjoe

2T and Trcd is an issue with the DFI nF3 Ultra that doesn't exist on the DFI nF4 Ultra...

It's up to the user if he wants 2-2-2-5 @ 250 or 2.5-3-3-7 @ 300-320.........

TCCD goes to 300-350

BH-5 goes to 250-260 but with 3.4Vdimm or more...

I could do 220-250 with Bartons and I didn't spend a small fortune to run speeds like a Barton...

Anyway, with the amount of parts that you've got ready for it, i'd say it'd be worth going for the board. If I were in your shoes i'd take the risk, as the board itself is relatively inexpensive - it's not as if you're choosing between the most expensive NF4 boards.

---dens

True, the board is relatively cheap but if they're going to release a Rev2 board soon. I'd rather wait for the new board. How bad is the undervolt? Is it more that .05V? Since I would like to make this my gaming board, that .05V may be really important.

My NF4 is basically trouble free and I would rather not have to deal with the NF3s cold boot and undervolting issues.

Does MBM work with the NF3? Many in the thread seem to be complaining that the values being read by the various monitor programs are wrong.

Cjoe

True, the board is relatively cheap but if they're going to release a Rev2 board soon. I'd rather wait for the new board. How bad is the undervolt? Is it more that .05V? Since I would like to make this my gaming board, that .05V may be really important......

The Vcore undervolts about 0.1V, while the Vdimm overvolts about 0.1V.....

I measured Vcore and Vdimm using a Digital Multi-Meter. Here's what I got:

DFI nF3 Ultra-D

602 Bios

Venice 3200

Vcore

Default = 1.34V

CPU VID 1.50 = 1.44V

CPU VID 1.55 = 1.50V

Default +.1 = 1.38V

Default +.2 = 1.46V

Default +.3 = 1.51V

Default +.4 = 1.63V

Default +.5 = 1.67V

Default +.6 = 1.76V

Default +.7 - No Thanks!

1.55V +Default = 1.50

1.55V +.1 = 1.54V

1.55V +.2 = 1.64V

1.55V +.3 = 1.69V

1.55V +.4 = 1.83V

1.55V +.5 - No Thanks!

1.55V +.6 - No Thanks!

1.55V +.7 - No Thanks!

VDIMM

2.5V = 2.58V

2.6V = 2.69V

2.7V = 2.80V

2.8V = 2.91V

2.9V = 3.00V

3.0V = 3.10V

3.1V = 3.16V

3.2V = 3.17V

2T and Trcd is an issue with the DFI nF3 Ultra that doesn't exist on the DFI nF4 Ultra...

It's up to the user if he wants 2-2-2-5 @ 250 or 2.5-3-3-7 @ 300-320.........

TCCD goes to 300-350

BH-5 goes to 250-260 but with 3.4Vdimm or more...

I'm considering the NF3 for my gaming machine with Venice 3500 and some BH5 and relegating the NF4 as my download machine with Winchester 3000 and GSkill LE.

I want top performance for my gaming rig; hence, I want 1T and really tight timings. Unfortunately, it looks like the NF3 isn't my board yet.

I'm not really impressed with TCCD at high HTT when compared with BH5/CH5 at lower HTT and tighter timings. I'm not planning to run 24/7 so the high VDimm is not really an issue for me.

Cjoe

I'm considering the NF3 for my gaming machine with Venice 3500 and some BH5 and relegating the NF4 as my download machine with Winchester 3000 and GSkill LE.

I want top performance for my gaming rig; hence, I want 1T and really tight timings. Unfortunately, it looks like the NF3 isn't my board yet.

I'm not really impressed with TCCD at high HTT when compared with BH5/CH5 at lower HTT and tighter timings. I'm not planning to run 24/7 so the high VDimm is not really an issue for me.

Cjoe

It's a bandwidth issue... is 2-2-2-5 @ 250 faster then 2.5-3-3-7 @ 300...?