Sign in to follow this  
Computerman41

Athlon64 X2 Thermal Pad on Heatsink

Someone with an X2: Is that gray square on the bottom of the copper plate on the heatsink that comes with the X2 a thermal pad? Is it okay that I wiped it off and am using Arctic Silver 5 instead? Or was that a bad idea? Thank you.

i always remove any thermal pads on my cpu's...then clean the sink real good with 100% acetone then 90% or better alcohol, then apply my fav thermal material

Three things:

1) Would the thermal pad have cooled better than Arctic Silver 5 or is Arctic Silver 5 better?

2) Is it okay that I used only 70% isopropyl alcohol and no acetone?

3) Also, is it okay that first, I used a piece of plastic to scrape the thermal pad off and it kind of scratched the copper?

Thank you.

Two things:

1) Would the thermal pad have cooled better than Arctic Silver 5 or is Arctic Silver 5 better?

2) Is it okay that I used only 70% isopropyl alcohol and no acetone?

Thank you.

1. i dont like AS5...but I don't like the thermal pads either...its really just a choice, and you can't really make the wrong choice as long as you apply the thermal material correctly.

2. no, not really. You need to find a Walgreens, WalMart, CVS, Eckerds, some drugstore like that and find some 90% or better rubbing alcohol. You should also be able to find a bottle of 100% pure acetone. 70% alcohol has a 30% water content and it doesn't evaporate as well nor clean as well.

1. i dont like AS5...but I don't like the thermal pads either...its really just a choice, and you can't really make the wrong choice as long as you apply the thermal material correctly.

2. no, not really. You need to find a Walgreens, WalMart, CVS, Eckerds, some drugstore like that and find some 90% or better rubbing alcohol. You should also be able to find a bottle of 100% pure acetone. 70% alcohol has a 30% water content and it doesn't evaporate as well nor clean as well.

What is your favorire TIM? :confused:

I use ASC.

Thanks,

Dave

i hate ceramique also...that and as5 are just too hard to spread (and i have never been a fan of the 'just put a drop in the middle and put the heatsink on' method)

i use this old OCZ Ultra II compound...its silvery and freakin AWESOME...and it spreads like soft butter...and cleans off real easy...and doesn't make the cpu stick to the heatsink...and doesn't get oily like old salad dressing from sitting around for long periods like as5...

;)

im trying to get Andy to get me some more of it but the tube I have must be....2 years old? and you know...I apply the stuff around 2-5 times a day when testing stuff...so it lasts just about forever...