SanDiego or X2

Surrept

Ben some talk of that already in this forum if you would explain what you want to do with it and how long you are keeping it the result might change. ...... or just google it. Anand has some good reviews already chek them out.

If you want a procc. for gaming SanDeigo ne time.

SD will give you better performance in gaming than Dual Core AMD.

Dual Core helps in Encoding a lot than SD. [Correct me if i am wrong]

The thing is not a whole lot of programs not aimed at the professonal market use multi threading though you can assign tasks in some programs to diffrent CPU's. The thing is as soon as they do start using the power of both you will want a x2 when that will be is anyones guess but I doubt it will be sooner than a year from now.

Depends on budget.

If you can stretch to a 4400+ X2 then it will perform just as well (or nearly) as any single core San Diego at games, some minor OC'ing may be needed.

The exception being the FX-57 I guess. Unless you really overclock her. :)

sure i will go for a dual core for the best update for the future cause most of the software will be releasing versions which benefits from the dual core

Could you give some examples or are you assuming? I'd love to know how many of the programs I use will take advantage of dual cores

encoding and compiling software already takes advantage of it because it is optimized for Intel's P4 Hyperthreaded cpu cores.

within 12-24 months, game devs will realize that dual cores are now saturating the market and will provide multithreaded benefits. SMP software (true dual core systems) will probably be in vogue and expand...then on top of that 64-bit multi-threaded software will eventually become mainstream.

don't expect anything soon though...with only 1% market saturation for AMD (dual cores) and about 90% saturation for Intel (their Hyperthreaded cpu's and now dual cores) it will take a year or more to equalize (ie at least 50%+ AMD users getting into dual cores and by then, 99% of all Intel users will be on a dual/HT core).

if say Id wrote Doom4 and would only benefit from dual cpu's....then it would be unplayable for a huge chunk of people because they simply do not have a cpu capable of multiple threading. Or it might run on a single core...but a majority would not have all the benefits of the features that were made for dual cores (like 1 core doing all the rendering calcs and the second core doing all the physics and AI etc)

You are not really going to go wrong either way one is just more expensive than the other in a year or two when more games are designed with two cpu's in mind there will in all liklyhood be someting bigger and better much like we are seeing in video cards. Choose either and in all liklyhood you will be happy. I guess I should temper things with the idea that if money is no object get the x2. I am thinking on waiting for the "discount" X2 in Aug.