Cooling Solutions: Memory

I use Super Talent: http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=161

Pics in sig. Very clean, cheap, and best of all it works very well! Load temps @ 3.2V is 40 degrees C via temp probe placed under the ram heatspreader. Works even better with the through air design of the CM Centurion 5 (especially when you place three 65 cfm 80mm fans behind the front panel :nod: .) Its my makeshift stacker........lol!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also i dont see how my powersupply sucks, its 550W, and provides good power, energy for my computer,and runs decently well.

lil..no..i meant by PSU sucks AIR :) Because the PSU intake fan is right above the memory...:)

i thin you already have PLENTY of cooling there....it's like mine, the memory is basically surrounded by fans.

All you need now is make sure you have good airflow thru the case. Otherwise i would not know what else to do.

Btw. its kind of hard to see but does your mem have heatspreaders ? If you REALLY think you need more mem cooling it might be an idea to take them off (VOIDS WARRANTY) because the spreaders itself often do more harm than good. (But there's always a risk of breaking something.) Just FYI. I did it because my spreaders came lose all the time and i got horrible temps/stability problems - so i just got rid of them, Heat them up with memtest #5 each stick .....then carefully try to remove the spreaders (removing the clips and then carefully bending the spreaders open) and clean up the residual glue w/ alcohol.

Having a Antec TruePowerII - 550W doesnt mean that you will not have problems.

Even if you have a 550W TP , is the complete 550W getting utilized.

The amount of energy that is not utilized gets converted to heat.

Whats the use of a 550W PSU if you system is requiring 400-450W

The rest amount of energy is wasted and not utilized.

But i dont say that 550W TP sucks , its a nice PSU.

But check its efficiency , how much u really require and how much is wasted.

Also i didnt knew that you have not overclocked your PSU and u are running it at stock speed.

IF you are running everthing at stock speed and still ram is getting heated then there

must be some other problem.

PSU's don't work like that. If you're only using 150W, it won't be giving out 550W wasting that unused energy. Rather, PSU efficiencies vary depending on what load they are under, which is unique to each model.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article241-page5.html

Here's an example of an efficiency table, showing how efficiency varies under different loads.

True, some PSU's are more efficient at higher load levels, but it is nowhere near the 'oh, 400W of my 550W PSU isn't being used' innefficiency.

This may be offbase but I think people may want to slow there cpu fan speed in Smart Guardian, because temps aren't high. But when you do that it also doesn't cool the ram as well. I've been running the cpu fan at max and things have been working well

I've just got a 60mm 12cfm Vantec Stealth hanging over my memory and even at 3.2v felt cool to the touch. After I get around to picking up some Redline I may grab another 60mm and zip-tie the two together. Not as good as a 120mm, but they're great for fitting in tight spaces.

You should have plenty of cooling. You might want to switch the direction of the fan and see if that works any better.

Btw. its kind of hard to see but does your mem have heatspreaders ? If you REALLY think you need more mem cooling it might be an idea to take them off (VOIDS WARRANTY) because the spreaders itself often do more harm than good. (But there's always a risk of breaking something.) Just FYI. I did it because my spreaders came lose all the time and i got horrible temps/stability problems - so i just got rid of them, Heat them up with memtest #5 each stick .....then carefully try to remove the spreaders (removing the clips and then carefully bending the spreaders open) and clean up the residual glue w/ alcohol.

I've heard it's better to put them in the freezer so that the TIM isn't as sticky. You can also add heat sinks on the individual chips once you've taken off the heatspreaders- this is what I plan to do. These are supposed to work well:

http://www.1coolpc.com/ramsinks.htm

CJ

Since I was not able to find this mem cooler you posted earlier,(the crab one, or evercool) I gave up and think of my case another way. Finally, I can say that 2 x 120mm as intake ~200CFM is working quite good to blow a draft on the memory and across the whole motherboard :D