New Case from Lian Li

red930

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Examining the design a bit more thoroughly, I was thinking of the advantages the case design may offer.

Accoustics: It would appear the acoustical 'noise' generated by the installed components would be reduced a little over a rectangular case of similiar height, width and material makeup. There would be less corners for sound to reverberate from.

Stability: The PSU is located on the bottom-middle of the chassis which lowers the overall center of gravity by a good margin. Even with the strong base, having a top heavy case is not, to me, a desirable trait. I was even thinking about designing a case similar to my Lian Li PC75B with the PSUs on the bottom, 5 1/4" drives at the front-bottom and the motherboard tray moved up. But that is for another thread...

Internal Aesthetics: Though the overall design is practically the same of any of the cases most (if not all) of us are using, having the PSU on the bottom would make it somewhat easier (IMHO) to route wiring and cables efficiently.

Cooling: With no vent at the top of the case where the PSU would normally sit, a hot spot is created at the top 5 1/4 drive bay. A simple mesh vent or a blowhole would alleviate most of the hot air gathering in that area. Having a 120mm over the CPU area is a plus though the 120mm fan blowing hot hard drive air over the same area would have a counteractive affect. Speaking of which, I am not too impressed with a single fan in front. Having 2 120mm or 90mm fans would be an ideal situation to me, yet it would generate more noise.

Outer Case Design: Even though many people here do not use 3 1/2" floppy drives, I find them a necessity in my day to day operations. Adding a single 3 1/2" bay below the 6 x 5 1/4" bays would definitely suit my, and many of my 'different' customers, needs. Who knows when you need to do a BIOS flash and the 'built-within BIOS' programming utility won't read CDs. On a alternative note, the 3 1/2" bay below the 5 1/4"s would give (what I would deem, IMHO) a sense of nostalgic class. What I do not care for is the protrusions, which complete the snail shape we see, at the back over the expansion slots. People with big fingers might find it difficult to manipulate cables in the limited space provided.

Ok, that's enough of my ramblings. Anyone else have any thoughts they would like to share?

I'm expecting an entire line of Dr. Doolittle signature cases. First is the Pink Sea Snail to be followed by the Lunar Moth(excellent cooling due to the large wings) and Pushmi-Pullyu(optical drive bays on either end).

Ace, you make some good points.

my opinion though...is 'even if that thing pooped out gold bricks, I would still never own it for the sheer ugliness'

heh

it might be a really awesome case

but its ugliness terrifies me ;)

Not only have 2 of my 'different' customers want that case (each put $200 down on it and will pay the remainder when I get pricing), but several of my other customers have also wanted me to order it to replace their current 'plain' looking cases as well. To quote one of my customers:

"It has that nuveau look that I really like and would fit well with the rest of my furniture."

I have a feeling I am going to be one busy Goober when it finally becomes available in the retail channel...

Not only have 2 of my 'different' customers want that case (each put $200 down on it and will pay the remainder when I get pricing), but several of my other customers have also wanted me to order it to replace their current 'plain' looking cases as well. To quote one of my customers:

I have a feeling I am going to be one busy Goober when it finally becomes available in the retail channel...

yeah know, i'm really not surprised. i kind of thought it might. i'm sort of liking it!