Sign in to follow this  
Dirk

xp-90 Cooling solution

XP-90/120 can be awkward to install the first time...first time i tried to install mine, I freakin HATED it...and it sat in a box for about 2 months while I still used SLK-948U bolt-thru's.

but

i played a little with it...and found it is actually so easy that I think I might be slightly retarded not to figure out how easy it really was...

fan-down always for me (cools my memory and a little cooling to the PWMIC mosfet sinks between the cpu and the IDE connectors)

Hi

I read a direct comparison review (can't remember where :rolleyes: ) that said that there was no real difference between the XP-90 Al and the XP-120 Al in cooling at 12 volts with high speed fans, but that there was an across the board improvement of 1 - 2 degrees C if using the XP-90 Cu.

However, at 690 grammes without fan installed, there was no way (weigh lol) I was going to mount that in my tower case (see sig). If I had a desktop case, I would have considered it :D . In a tower case (i.e. upright), the XP-90C is just too much risk for breaking your motherboard IMHO :). It weighs almost twice what the XP-90 (aluminium) weighs.

ricey

off topic a bit, but seeing AG post on how easy it is to install, i have to agree with that, but removing the xp-120 is a pain!

how do you guys do it? is there an easy way? the last two clips beneath the overhang are tough to unhook.

also, do u guys ever get your proc stuck to the base due to the thermal paste and find that the proc lock on the mobo doesnt hold it down? it happens to me.. a lot.. im grateful no broken pins or anything. but when i hear the "rriiiipppp" sound of the proc tearing loose from the socket, it sends a chill down my spine.

how do you guys do it? is there an easy way? the last two clips beneath the overhang are tough to unhook.

good narrow screwdriver (like the kind you find in the 6-pack of jeweler's screwdrivers...i'll take a pic tomorrow and you will say 'oh yeah i know exactly those screwdrivers')

slip the end into the clip (while holding the heatsink down from the top) and un-latch them one at a time...i am going to make a complete 'how-to' build guide for the NF4 in the next day or three and I'll include pics on how to do everything...including this...

Aluminium lefts heat faster WITHOUT air fluctuation, but with a fan on top, copper is better.

more fan-power=more difference in favour of XP90C

salu2.

Aluminium lefts heat faster WITHOUT air fluctuation, but with a fan on top, copper is better.
you will only see about 1-2C difference with the copper. more weight and more expensive. with only a marginal difference, the aluminum is much better in price and weight

I have XP120 too.

When installing, I thought it wasn't going to fit at first...

But somehow you just have to be brave and press the clips down to hook them with a bit of "brute force"... but do it wisely, or else you might damage your CPU...

I'd suggest that you bring your tower to the retailer shop, and ask them to install it for you if you are not too sure.

To mount and unmount mine i line up the heatsink and press firmy on top of it with one hand to simulate the pressure of it and keep the pressure even.

Then I clip the top right, then the bottom left. then I let go and do the others.

Removing i put firm pressure on it, unclip top left, bottom right, top right, slide it and manuver it out of the last hook.

its quite easy after you get used to it.

ricey, do you have enough room in LL V1000, good cooling, etc?

There's ample clearance, and the XP 90's cooling is excellent. It also helps that the V1000 is a great case for cooling.

ricey

Thx, ricey! Just ordered it. I'm putting together my first build (on the bench) & was a bit taken back by how enormous the 7800GTX is. It's really a monster. Looking forward to the case. It's a beauty.

Cheers