Sign in to follow this  
getterflash

NF3 Ultra-D> SPDIF toslink optical input/output

After much web searching, I found a site selling an optical I/O module for an AOpen mobo, it should be compatible with the DFI motherboards offering optical input/output. I just ordered it, will post a followup after it arrives.

http://store.myaopen.com/aoac.html

Here is a better picture form the AOpen website:

http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/spdif.htm

The AOpen SPDIF module arrived today, looks like just the ticket. It has TOSLINK optical in and out, and SPDIF RCA in and out.. The connector is the same and the pinouts match the motherboard, even the key is in the right spot. I have not yet assembled the machine yet, waiting on a new hard drive. I am confident this will work, but I will post test results when the it is up and running.

I can't wait to hear if it works or not. The coax connection is killing me.

Why? I have a full blow HT system with a HD front projector, 120" screen and 7.1 sound. The sound quality from coaxial and optical digital outputs is vertually the same. It all depends on what digital receiver you have. Mine is Pioneer VSX-1014TX.

I have a Logitech Z-5500. For inputs, it has 1 toslink optical, 1 coax, and the "direct" (stereo style w/ center,front,rear).

My DVR can output pretty much anything. I want best quality on PC first, DVR second, and other stuff (like PS2) last.

The coax output in XP64 does not support surround sound properly in games (only with pass-thru like DTS/Dolby in PowerDVD.). I'm evaluating whether to go back to XP32 just due to this, but I'd rather not since virtually everything else is fine.

So, that leaves only the "direct" output with the stereo style connectors for the PC, and that's the worst of the bunch. Without SP/DIF via optical or coax, DVDs just don't sound the same and neither do games. That optical sound is just so amazing. Coax is probably damn near identical, with a good cable, but again, XP64 = no surround sound at all.

I tested the Aopen optical SPDIF bracket. I got the digital in to work, but not digital out, yet. It may not be an issue with the optical out, it may be with the realtek chip itself. I need to know if the Realtek CODEC on the Lanparty NF3 Ultra is the 655 or 658. Th 655 only supports 48KHtz out, where the 658 supports 32/44.1/48/96KHtz out.