DFI: never again

Ok, I know I'll catch a lot of flack for posting this but it's all true so....

THERE IS NO OCing INVOLVED HERE!!!!

I'm on my second DFI UT 250GB, the first one wouldn't detect my harddrives properly so the place I bought it from replaced it after their tech guy confirmed that the board was no good. . happens I know. Here's where I start to get pissed off:If I have ANY two sticks of RAM in the board I got as a replacement then it becomes unstable in SOME aplications (half-life 2, battlefield 2, booting from a norton ghost recovery cd....). at first I thought it was my RAM (OCZ palt rev.2, also my second pair of these because the first pair had a bent heat spreader on one stick and it wouldn't pass memtest 86), but it doesn't matter what kind of RAM i put in the board-with two sticks it'll crash on SOME applications. If I put any one stick in it's perfectly stable, but I'm a designer, i use photoshop and many other RAM hungry apps that run WAY better with lots of RAM, 512 is not enough for me. All of the RAM I have used in this board passes memtest 86, and I used to have this cpu in a Gigabyte board- that I might be going back to! I bought this board so I could OC, but it's not even stable at stock speads so forget that!

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

depends. if ur trying to run the board whit 2x512 in DDR400 i know theres some problems due to the CPU limitations.. try lowering the memory ratings / devider to 166 / PC2700 in the bios. also try enable the 2T command rate, if not enabled allready.

If I wanted a 333mhz FSB I would have bought a semperon.

And since my Gigabyte motherboard could do it I know it's not a "cpu limitation"

Thanks for the reply though

DFI boards are "not for newbies". Even if there is no OC'ing involved, you still have to tweak the RAM voltage. Make sure the DRAM voltage is running at what it's rated to run at, not 2.6 which is the motherboard default, and is unstable on lots of memory. If it is not running at what it's rated to run at, go into the BIOS and correct it. That should solve 98% of your problems. Also make sure you are running the updated BIOS from DFI. Tell us a little more about your problem and we may be able to help you more.

If you read my sig you would see that my ram is at 2.8V. and I have tried every BIOS there is. To top it all off I flashed my BIOS earlier today in an atempt to fix my problems and the machine wonteven POST, it's dead. Good I say. Bye bye DFI.

When it comes to OCZ Memory, you may have to bump the voltage to 3.0v for some of the stuff to be stable at stock speeds. I think you should be blaming your RAM, not the board.

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 uses TCCD modules and needs 2.75v to be stable. 2.8v is probably not cutting it. You could opt for UTT/BH-5 in the Gold series instead which probably would work better.

Guest daffy

Mine works ok too, very fussy board but when it's running you won't find any better. :)

If you read my sig you would see that my ram is at 2.8V. and I have tried every BIOS there is. To top it all off I flashed my BIOS earlier today in an atempt to fix my problems and the machine wonteven POST, it's dead. Good I say. Bye bye DFI.

Well you want get much luck with DFI & Defaults combo :nod: DFI is not made for defaults.

It took me about a week to make a stable rig and I've had NEVER started Windows at default BIOS settings.

So, if you want default settings try ASUS, maybe MSI NEO2 Platinum (nice board if not DOA :D ).