Sign in to follow this  
dpoverlord

Problem installing 2 GB of ram 4x512.

Greetings,

I got another 1 GB of ram the same type of memory by OCZthat I had before PC 3200 ocz4001024WV3dc-k. The problem I am having is that when I put it in the computer will not boot up. It just has a loud beep. Currently my ram is in the orange slots and I was going to put these next 2 dimms in the yellow. I wanted to get it @ 1T what may I be doing wrong. I am assuming I need to prepare the bios for this but I cant seem to find any guide on how to do this. I appreciate your help. FYI Nothing is O/C right now.

It is not going to run 1T that I know anything about. Set CPC = AUTO and likely will boot becuase CPC will become 2T.

RGone...

It is not going to run 1T that I know anything about. Set CPC = AUTO and likely will boot becuase CPC will become 2T.

RGone...

I thought the venice chips made it so that it could run 1T

good read here.....

Hmmm so will I actually see an improvement with these 2GB or does it make more sense to go back to 1GB?

as he said, sandra and memory bandwidth tests are not real-world and have no bearing on real world software useage.

as i have stated many times, memory bandwidth is a moot point on the A64 because of the integrated memory controller. It is not important at all compared to cpu mhz.

trying to base it on a synthetic benchmark instead of real applications (games, photoshop, etc) is folly.

the best real world test you can do is one or both of the following:

1. 1T command, run benches of your favorite games (not benchmarks, but real games like BF2, Doom3, etc).

then compare with the same speeds @ 2T with the same games.

2. 1T - photoshop or any other real-world application (DVD Shrink, DivX encode, Lame mp3 encoding etc)

then ONLY adjusting to 2T, run those same applications

again you will see zero differences yourself, and your numbers generated from such tests will show 1%-5% difference, and the ones that rely solely on cpu speed will show no difference at all.

ALWAYS real world applications and software is a better test than ANY benchmark program like sandra. benches are good to compare numbers to with others, but they don't have any effect on real world applications.

the whole thread....http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16273

so I say use your 2 gigs that you paid good $ for Im sure and run 2T...IMO

Hmmm so will I actually see an improvement with these 2GB or does it make more sense to go back to 1GB?

there will be about zero diff in perf from running 2T vs 1T...stick with the 2GB!

Sounds good,

new problem now... :-( I put in the other 2 GB I set the CPC to Auto. Since I have done this I have found frequent crashes when I start up World of warcraft. I am assuming that this may be caused by the 1:1 ratio setting for the DRam Frequency. Its not something I would have expected to happen though considering that it does 1:1 with 1GB just fine with no errors. Any ideas?

Memtest all your RAM one stick at a time, check for errors in the RAM.

I take it this would be a good overnight test. For the test what options should I run? " Run all standard tests? I memtested the first two dimms I recieved and had no errors" So I will put 1 in at a time tonight. Thanks!

Also, check the WoW sight, if its the error 132 bug, theres a few other things they tell you to try with in wow. theres like 3-4 files they say to delete, and will reinstall when you start the game up again, i had the same crash issue, and it was due to something corrupting in one of those files