Sign in to follow this  
OSKAR_WU

WARNING about bios bug in 7/04 beta bios

Well then, do YOU want to be the person to explain to X2 owners htat in order to use their CPU, they need to void their warrenty?

And dont give me that crap about how few people own an X2, it is still out there.

No, I would simply tell them to wait until an official BIOS rolls out. The 3/10 BIOS works perfectly well with an X2, although only showing and using one core. It won't be that long, deal with it. If you did your homework, you would see that DFI doesn't have an "official" BIOS for the X2 (as of two days ago), so why would you expect to buy an X2, plug it into your system, and expect it to work 100%? BIOSes take TIME. People smarter then myself and yourself are working on these issues as we speak. It would be like buying a stick of memory that isn't on the list of supported modules then freaking out when you plug the memory in, only to find it doesn't work in your system. Know what you have and what it supports before you buy new stuff.

**EDIT**

Last I checked on DFI.tw site 623-3 was offered and not on the beta site

See, it's out already. I just checked for myself. Your X2 argument is null and void. Stick with the official BIOS's or you are aware of the risks... it's that simple.

And your point is? Asus and DFI are better stock board? :D I could care less about the warranty as I modded it and OC'ed it out of the box even before i powered it up once.

How did you OC it out of the box before powering it up?

They can verify all they want or nothing if they don't have to. That's why it's called a BETA BIOS. If it were official, then yes, I would expect it to perform without a hitch. But come on... They even warn you that non-official BIOS's are at your own risk... And you STILL want them to be responsible? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, in case you didn't understand the original post, I do want DFI to be responsible for verifying correct voltage supply in any bios available to end users. That includes BETA bioses. If you don't understand, then in my opinion, you have pretty low product expectations. By the way, I think it's safe to assume that DFI *wants to* verify the accuracy of voltage supply before releasing any bios, and that this case was an extremely-unlikely oversight... one which almost assuredly not be repeated.

Yes, in case you didn't understand the original post, I do want DFI to be responsible for verifying correct voltage supply in any bios available to end users. That includes BETA bioses. If you don't understand, then in my opinion, you have pretty low product expectations. By the way, I think it's safe to assume that DFI *wants to* verify the accuracy of voltage supply before releasing any bios, and that this case was an extremely-unlikely oversight... one which almost assuredly not be repeated.

I don't think it's low product expectations, I'm pretty sure it's common sense. They say it in big bold letters before you even flash the BIOS that it will void your warranty, and you're on your own. But yet you say you want them to be responsible for something they warned you about? If this were brought to any justice system, you would lose your argument.

I think DFI releases BETA BIOS's like these so we can play "Uber Geek" and test them out and see how good they are. BUT, just like they warn you, they pretty much say, "Hey yeah, you can play in our sandbox and test these BIOS's with us, but if your stuff craps out on you, you can't say we didn't warn you." Plenty of people played in the sandbox, and probably only 1-2% had anything happen to their systems. I think that's pretty good for non-official stuff...

Come on. The point here is that DFI should be verifying such *basic* things as correct voltages before releasing even a beta bios

WRONG.

a beta bios is a COURTESY for us.

I am a programmer and i can very well see how it might be possible to have some SMALL bug in code, which, for stupid reasons FIRST initializes the special control and THEN the right other voltage.

Its a little thing which can happen.

NOW STOP BIATCHING !

Don't download BETA bioses then or dont even OVERCLOCK when you want safety and security.

Yes, in case you didn't understand the original post, I do want DFI to be responsible for verifying correct voltage supply in any bios available to end users. That includes BETA bioses.

LOL...how far away you are from reality.

tell that to ANY programmer.

Also....if it were to go thru THOUROUGH testing like you *demand* it would NOT be a beta and the rate of bioses released would be MUCH SMALLER...like a new bios each 6 months because YOU demand that the code is perfect and the bios is TOUROUGHLY tested.

you should also tell tat to Nvidia (chipset drivers) and MICROSOFT and Creative and ATI and all other companies.

Either DO NOT DOWNLOAD BETAS or: SHUT UP !

groove should be thankful if he gets his board replaced, even after admitting of overclocking and flashing with 3rd PARTY MODIFIED/HACKED bios. HE used a hellfire/merlin etc. bios.

I dunno what dfi will do and i dont know if he gets a new CPU.....but MAYBE another company would just laugh in his face !!

WRONG.

a beta bios is a COURTESY for us.

I am a programmer and i can very well see how it might be possible to have some SMALL bug in code, which, for stupid reasons FIRST initializes the special control and THEN the right other voltage.

Its a little thing which can happen.

NOW STOP BIATCHING !

Don't download BETA bioses then or dont even OVERCLOCK when you want safety and security.

AMEN! Brother.....preach it! :angel:

Alright... lets bring this thread to a close. I think it can be agreed that we're all tired of reading the 5 straight pages of redundant opinions that can be separated into two groups supporting two very obvious opinions.

I don't see anyone fighting for DFI who lost a processor to this voltage screwup. I also don't see anyone who won't acknowledge that yes they've somehow voided their warranty and are held solely responsible through at least one of 400 million technicalities.

However, I for one would like to see someone at DFI whip out some frijoles and stand behind their product. The O man is the exception to this. Oskar, when he found out about the cold boot issue, sent me a replacement board, took my board and ram, and worked feverishly to SOLVE the cold boot problem. Meanwhile, the mods and their loyal army of brown nosers simply argued that "well, the 5v jumper isn't actually supported" and reiterated this retarded point thousands of times in every way possible. Is Oskar really the only man in this entire company with enough honor (yes honor, not legal obligation) to look past whatever loophole would negate our arguments and FIX the problem?

I stay with DFI because I respect those at the top for doing what is decent, regardless of whether or not they actually have to. Oskar's handiwork in issues like the above are what bring respect and prestige to a company, unlike the swarms of argumentative "helpers" that do nothing but feverishly deny fault.

I trust that those with the power to do the right thing will do so.

Oh and for those dozens of people that didn't have a problem with this bios and aren't mods, but still want to voice some blowhard opinion, I think a tasteful STFU is in order, this issue obviously doesn't concern you.

how about DFI just make it work like every other manufacturer manages to do with no problem?

Amen

6/23 bios has been put as offical one and not beta anymore ...

Generally , modify anything in bios that is voltage related need to be tested internally before it's released no matter it's alpha , beta or gamma ...

Before the 7/04 beta bios , no voltage related code has been modified ... In order to solve that sometimes new DDR500 option will fail to boot in 7/02 beta bios , I change the protection I made before and it's a negligent fault of me ... I am in a rush of solving the 7/02 beta bios problem , I forget to do the complete testing about the modification I made because generally I did not set low " CPU VID " + high " CPU VID Special Control " in the same time and did not found the fatal bug I made ...

In order to make every user happy , I have generate too much beta bios trying to satisfy every single user complain blah blah that this beta bios decrease my overclocking and please fix it and so on ... I don't really need to do all this and you can see this clearly when you have overclocking problem in other mb ... And something like this is impossible for any MB company ... I need to handle the complaint from other department because of this and this also affect which is the best version we should sent to do the validation and finally put it into official ... It's impossible for me to find a perfect one to satisfy everyone ... We have reset the validation for many times since 3/10 bios because some user compalin blah blah that my overclocking is not good with this one and fix it ... Finally we settle down 6/23 should be safe for general purpose and put it as official one now ... But there is still tons of complaint out there ... When you are trying to satisfy everybody , it's probably you will satisfy nobody ...

Give me sometime ... The bug in 7/04 bios will be solved within this week with full verification in the change I made ... And I will modify the 5/10 based fix as well if you are not happy with 6/23 official one ...

6/23 bios has been put as offical one and not beta anymore ...

Generally , modify anything in bios that is voltage related need to be tested internally before it's released no matter it's alpha , beta or gamma ...

Before the 7/04 beta bios , no voltage related code has been modified ... In order to solve that sometimes new DDR500 option will fail to boot in 7/02 beta bios , I change the protection I made before and it's a negligent fault of me ... I am in a rush of solving the 7/02 beta bios problem , I forget to do the complete testing about the modification I made because generally I did not set low " CPU VID " + high " CPU VID Special Control " in the same time and did not found the fatal bug I made ...

In order to make every user happy , I have generate too much beta bios trying to satisfy every single user complain blah blah that this beta bios decrease my overclocking and please fix it and so on ... I don't really need to do all this and you can see this clearly when you have overclocking problem in other mb ... And something like this is impossible for any MB company ... I need to handle the complaint from other department because of this and this also affect which is the best version we should sent to do the validation and finally put it into official ... It's impossible for me to find a perfect one to satisfy everyone ... We have reset the validation for many times since 3/10 bios because some user compalin blah blah that my overclocking is not good with this one and fix it ... Finally we settle down 6/23 should be safe for general purpose and put it as official one now ... But there is still tons of complaint out there ... When you are trying to satisfy everybody , it's probably you will satisfy nobody ...

Give me sometime ... The bug in 7/04 bios will be solved within this week with full verification in the change I made ... And I will modify the 5/10 based fix as well if you are not happy with 6/23 official one ...

I just want to take this time, to thank you for your efforts in working on these issues.... Thank You! Oskar. Very much.