Sign in to follow this  
OSKAR_WU

WARNING about bios bug in 7/04 beta bios

The frustration you guys are feeling is understandable, but I don't think it is justifiable to act aggressively towards DFI and/or Oskar Wu. I have lost precious hardware too because of this, but hey - that's life, or more accurately, hey- that's computers.

But most importantly, I think it's unfair to DFI/Oskar Wu to associate deaths of other hardware components to this BIOS, at least, not YET.

The problem has been explained almost thoroughly enough - the BIOS has introduced VID control errors with the 123,126,133, & 136% settings. If anything, maybe the situations under which using those settings would cause voltage spikes could be explained, otherwise it's detailed enough and we just have to live with it.

I am with you, John. I think Mr. Wu did a right thing to issue this official warning and removed the bios from his site in a timely manner.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bio..._FLAG=A&SITE=US

hmmm "Date Code 2005/03/10" is the LATEST DFI approved bios for my board, seems like if I HAD used some BETA thing LATER than that and FRIED something, i wouldnt be able to whine about it to DFI.... just a thought.

Why did DFI advise customers (emails to customers) to use beta bioses to solve the cold boot issue? Isn't Mr. Oskar Wu a DFI employee?

Guest Halvis
Why did DFI advise customers (emails to customers) to use beta bioses to solve the cold boot issue? Isn't Mr. Oskar Wu a DFI employee?

AHA! NO emails to ME!

Well for those of us with the X2, we have no choice but use the Beta Bios.......

When I boot up, what the system tells me is none of the dates I flashed with, it is the 7/4 bios but I belive it says 6/23 instead... dunno.....

Generally , if anything related to voltage that may cause the damage to

hardware , I would not put it into public beta and only release to certain people

to test it first ... It's my fault to put 7/04 bios public beta ...

The bug of 7/04 bios is this bios will program "CPU VID Special Control" first

before setting protection to cpu voltage ...

If you set "CPU VID" to a high voltage , EX : 1.55V then change to a low " CPU

VID " and a high " CPU VID Special Control " in the same time , hit the save and exit ...

Before the bios set the " CPU VID " to low voltage , the "CPU VID Special Control"

will be programmed first without protection and may generate some core voltage

like 1.55V * 1.36... Although it's a very short period , but If the cpu can not

handle this voltage , the cpu will be dead ... Especially 90nm core cpu ...

It's my fault and should blame me coz I have had done it :sad: ...

I sincerely apologize for this mistake in beta bios before the change in 7/04 beta

bios is fully verified ...

It's my fault and should blame me coz I have had done it :sad: ...

I sincerely apologize for this mistake in beta bios before the change in 7/04 beta

bios is fully verified ...

Dear Oskar,

We greatly appericate you efforts to "push the envelope",

giving us the finest over-clocking mobos that the world has ever seen.

There are always a few bumps along any "new" road.

Thanks,

Dave

If you set "CPU VID" to a high voltage , EX : 1.55V then change to a low " CPU

VID " and a high " CPU VID Special Control " in the same time , hit the save and exit ...

Before the bios set the " CPU VID " to low voltage , the "CPU VID Special Control"

will be programmed first without protection and may generate some core voltage

like 1.55V * 1.36... Although it's a very short period , but If the cpu can not

handle this voltage , the cpu will be dead ... Especially 90nm core cpu ...

Gosh that's EXACTLY what I did :( , except it was 1.525 before I changed it... sigh... my venice instantly died...

Hard to get RMA in Australia... AMD RMA procedure is very tight... and I have to go through my retailer first, who is interstate and I have to provide explanations...

Well Oskar...

this explains the rather timely demise of my 90nm winchester's memory controller. I was using the exact settings you are now warning against. The processor survived but cannot run dual channel under any circumstances. Now, even with one stick of 512 memory it will suddenly explode into thousands of errors in memtest at completely random times. I appreciate everything that you're doing for this board Oskar but lord... I'm not having good luck AT ALL. Don't suppose you can throw in a new proc with my VX that I'm assuming you still have?

Oscar I found a bug in the 623-3 bios. It doesnt harm the CPU but thought you might be interested to know so you can see what is causing it for future bioses. Below is what I have found.

I decide to post the events and circumstance that lead to this conclusion.

Also Their 623-3 and possibly the -1 and -2 also have a bug.

Last night me and my friend CWA4ME was doing some benching and testing. He had recently changed his CPU to a 3500+ clawhammer due to the 3200 Venice having a weak memory controller. He was still using the official 310 bios so I suggested he try the 623-3 bios since I have tried most of the bioses including the 704-3 which I didn't like because it seemed flaky and less stable.

Anyways we flashed him to 623-3 loaded optimised defaults and I began tweaking the bios. Finished tweaking and hit F10 and saved. Booted into windows and went into control panel and double clicked on system and the computer never would go to systems tab.

System seemed overall sluggish. So I thought for a few seconds and said...Weird this doesnt happen in my machine and ours or almost identical. Thought for a few more seconds and said crap...the 623-3 fixed performance issues for dual core and added in advanced bios features...Erata 123 set to enabled and ACPI Srat...also set to enabled.

So I said wait let me reboot and go back in Bios. System wouldn't reboot so I said lets hit reset button. Booted back into bios disabled ERATA 123 and ACPI SRAT...hit F10 booted back into windows went back into control panel double clicked system and it worked perfectly..then BOOM blue screen Memory errors.

System reboots back in windows then I notice in MBM5 that Vdimm was set to 2.6 and fsb was at 200= stock. I was like thats odd I could have swore I put 240 and 2.8 Vdimm. After a long 8 hrs or so of straight benching I was like well I am kinda burnt and maybe I made a mistake.

SO I go back into bios set up my Dram config and Genie bios again hit F10 double checked and made sure it said Y to save hit enter and boot back into windows.

Windows loads and MBM5 dashboard opens and again 200FSB and 2.6 Vdimm. I scratched my head and said hmmm this bios doesnt reset options like this on my system...what could be different.

After a minute or so of pondering I said hmmm I disabled ERATA123 and ACPI SRAT maybe changing them does something squirrely.

SO I went back in bios and said well lets start with the top option and just disable ERATA 123 and leave APCI SRAT enabled. Then I optimized my Dram config and genie bios hit F10 then booted back into windows. MBM5 dashoard opens and everything works OK.

So morale of the story is I guess is if you have an older cpu then Venice od San Diego is disable ERATA123 but Leave ACPI SRAT enabled unless you want your Vdimm and FSB changes not to take.

edited by A_G...keep it simple and include spaces...Oskar isn't a native english speaker so try to keep it as simple for him to understand as possible!