Sign in to follow this  
OSKAR_WU

WARNING about bios bug in 7/04 beta bios

One time "suio". There is pressure that you have no idea about at all. Pressure from errors that you see in this thread that hurt more than you know. Period. Did AG respond professionally as you would like? Not for me to answer to man.

Ok if you want to ascertain anything about your warranty or warranty period and live in the USA or Canada use this address. It will get you warranty information on your board in the UsA or Canada.

In that email concerning warranty for UsA or Canada; you will need to furnish this information.

When you email or call DFI, please provide these information:

Product model and revision if known. ( Usually shown as R. AXX or similar on stick-on with barcode on

PCI slot).

Mother board serial number. On end of box board came in and also in various places on the board.

Place where you purchased this product.

Invoice number or Receipt number from your vendor.

Actually over 70% of all emails that I receive when servicing 'tech support' do not even include the motherboard in question. When seeking help that really gives me pause about the situation at the other end at times. This is a very strange consumer world we live in is all I can imagine.

Now I have shown you DFI SJ, CA zone policy for warranty information. It is not my policy but what I am instructed to follow and I intend to follow same to maintain any alliance with DFI. Thank you.

RGone...

AG,

Your response to my questions sounds very strange. Are you under a lot of pressure or what? These were simple questions. Does DFI have an official document that lists all the terms and conditions for its limited warranty? Why should I call or even visit DFI offcie in order to get warranty information? This should be readily available on the DFI web site and users manual. Where is the warranty registration card in the retail box? Newegg.com does not have it and Zipzoomfly.com says the warranty is one year.

Did I ever say I didn't believe you? Where did you get the impression from? I was trying to make a point that DFI management has done a poor job in this area and this is EXACTLY why we have this debate about DFI warranty in this thread.

Thanks for the reply and have a nice day!

P.S. This is the same case about which bios version we should use -1, -2 or -3. You recommended -2 for all memory types. No one questioned your credibility. But you over-reacted. You talked about a recorded conversation with Mr. Wu etc. We are not in a court session, aren't we? Do we need witnesses? It was DFI who created this confusion not you and you are a tech support personeel for DFI. Take it easy my friend.

Oh and for those dozens of people that didn't have a problem with this bios and aren't mods, but still want to voice some blowhard opinion, I think a tasteful STFU is in order, this issue obviously doesn't concern you.

When I read this I had to respond,as a member here I have an opinion,you have a right to one also,everybody that lost hardware from trying a BETA bios,that was a risk you accepted when you flashed,might sound cold,but thems the facts.

When I decided to pump over 3.5vdimm into my Mushkin 2-2-2 Specials and now I get memtest errors,can I blame Mushkin or the many forums where I read they should be good up to 3.6vdimm,hardly.

I buy DFI to OC,I buy it cause it's the best in my opinion,maybe quirkier than other MB's,but I've already accepted that.I've also got an Abit AN7 that never has had 1 cold or warm boot symptom,but can't hold a candle to my LP b.

If you can't accept the risks w/OCin buy a DELL,DFI offers the best OC MB's in my opinion,but they don't force me to OC

guys this thread is way off-topic :)

Oscar - dont worry about it - it's called Beta software for a reason!...

What I would like to know is I have run up 704-2 on my Ultra-D, at the moment I have VID=1.35, Spec = 104%, Startup=Auto.

If i bump them all to auto will that be safe?

I won't over-volt until a new 704 is released :)

Also whats the deal with Startup VID???

Cheers

Dave

Guest burningrave101
Also whats the deal with Startup VID???

Startup VID is the voltage required in order for the system to POST and get to the Windows loading screen. You can just leave it at Auto.

guys this thread is way off-topic :)

Oscar - dont worry about it - it's called Beta software for a reason!...

What I would like to know is I have run up 704-2 on my Ultra-D, at the moment I have VID=1.35, Spec = 104%, Startup=Auto.

If i bump them all to auto will that be safe?

Dave

This problem has only been found in 7/04 bios and 'Above VID * 123%' , 'Above VID * 126%' , 'Above VID * 133%' , 'Above VID * 136%' are used ... If you did not use the 4 settings , it will be ok you if still want to use 7/04 bios ...

just take a little closer look at what Oskar WU said.

Just wanted to say that I had my 3000+ Venice die on me (I think) due to this bios. I was getting a few reboots here and there, and then they progressively began to worsen over time. Over the past two days, I have flashed from bios to bios, thinking it would solve the problem...unfortunately it did not. I now experience occassional BSODS (first time ever) and the system will barely still in Windows. I did not use any VID special setting about 113% at any given time, also.

I have another processor en route to me as we speak....my question is it just the processor that went bad, or perhaps the motherboard, too? I really don't want to put a new CPU in the board with the risk that it might die as well. At the moment, the board is currently flashed to the 6/18-3 bios.

Based on the information provided, it appears that only the processor should be affected, but I just want to make sure.

SPECS:

3000+ Venice (bad chip) @9x300 1.4 vcore

DFI NF4 Ultra-D

2x512 MB OCZ PC 4800 Platinum

XP-90 with Vantec Tornado

MSI 6600GT PCI-E

deception``

deception, If you would have gotten hit from the vcore problem outlined here, it would have likely totally killed your cpu (no post). If you were not changing vcore/mult settings under this bios ... this was not your problem.

However, if you did adjust vcore multipliers under this bios, and it only partially killed your cpu (allowing for post/boot but serious instability) ... there is nothing in this bios/problem that would have harmed your mobo.

I'd move back to some basic memtesting with the suspected bad cpu first, and identify if it is really bad ... go to stock/loose timings and run the various stability tests - maybe trying one stick of mem etc.

deception, If you would have gotten hit from the vcore problem outlined here, it would have likely totally killed your cpu (no post). If you were not changing vcore/mult settings under this bios ... this was not your problem.

However, if you did adjust vcore multipliers under this bios, and it only partially killed your cpu (allowing for post/boot but serious instability) ... there is nothing in this bios/problem that would have harmed your mobo.

I'd move back to some basic memtesting with the suspected bad cpu first, and identify if it is really bad ... go to stock/loose timings and run the various stability tests - maybe trying one stick of mem etc.

Trust me when I say that the processor is gone. It may memtest day and night, but we all know that memtest stable != windows stable. I get reboots now as soon as I enter into Windows. Additionally, I have begun to see artifacts on my screen during posting, ESPECIALLY if I try to run high voltages through the processor. This leads me to believe that the processor may have been damaged (albeit not 100% dead) to the point that it would make more sense to replace it altogether (which I have).

deception``

Just wanted to say that I had my 3000+ Venice die on me (I think) due to this bios. I was getting a few reboots here and there, and then they progressively began to worsen over time. Over the past two days, I have flashed from bios to bios, thinking it would solve the problem...unfortunately it did not. I now experience occassional BSODS (first time ever) and the system will barely still in Windows. I did not use any VID special setting about 113% at any given time, also.

I have another processor en route to me as we speak....my question is it just the processor that went bad, or perhaps the motherboard, too?

i really dont know where you take the confidence from that you say you KNOW that your CPU died - while it obviously still works but (as you say) more instable than before.

I have the SAME issue with my config, ie. that my sys got VERY instable over time (used to run at 289 HTT without a hitch !) and now go down to 260 and need a LOT (3.0V 260, [email protected] if even stable! ) for my TCCD which was fine before running at 2.9V like a champ. I havent even tried going to 289HTT anymore because i KNOW it wont be stable.

Then there's so many issues (VTT fluctutation etc, see xtremesystems.org) which i am focusing right now - but how do you KNOW it's your CPU ?

From that point of view i could also say "my CPU is going" - but honestly i dont have a frickin' clue why i need that much voltage for memory NOW which i didnt need before.

I know however that ONCE i did somthing stupid and pushed about 1.8/1.9 into my winchester...but only for about 4 seconds or so 'til i realized it and rebootet and corrected VCore in bios. But i dont remember if that was BEFORE i had all my issues or already afterwards. As said otherwise still everything is running ok EXCEPT that right now i am runing 260HTT and not 289 anymore.

I have SEEN the VTT voltage drops even on a DMM (not even a $10K oscilloscope)....and as lonmg as we dont have a mod for the VTT issue i really dont even bother anymore going for super-overclocks...i KNWO that the board/VTT circuits is just not up to it, i can literally SEE it crashing on the multimeter. (Drop ---> Oupsa ! OCCT stopped...i dont even need to loook at the screen).

From that point of view i COULD assume "my CPU is going"....but it could as well be 1000 other things.