Sign in to follow this  
OSKAR_WU

WARNING about bios bug in 7/04 beta bios

Dear Oskar,

I appreciate all your efforts, hard work and dedication very much. It is only seen very rarely that someone in the business communicates with the community AND admittes mistakes. Mistakes we all make. This is what generates a lot of positive publicity within the community for DFI. If you would not do this I feel that a lot more negative comments would fall upon DFI.

Off course you can’t satisfy everybody’s smallest wish. Its impossible. Common sense would be that

DFI (as a whole, not you particularly) would firstly try to send out a final bios which:

1) works with all CPU’s out there and a broad range of memory on standard non-overclocked settings.

2) make all settings in the bios work reliable and like their supposed to.

With this bios released, DFI could work on finetuning the bios so person X with CPU A and Memory B reaches a CPUspeed of 2505 instead of 2500 with the final bios.

The whole thread here is not about you, your efforts or to piss you off but a discussion about what different people think is fair & right regarding their expectations of a mobo they buy and the BIOS supportstrategy coming with it.

There are some very valid arguments in this discussion which are not always pleasant to read and opinions vary. However this discussion IS important.

For us as buyers to know what we can expect.

For DFI to be able to know what their buyers want / expect.

For you, to know what to focus on.

And for all of us to, in the longer run have products / bioses which satisfy our needs better and which therefore gain more sold products for DFI.

All the best

Matt

Hi Oskar. I for one think you are doing a fantastic job. All of us make mistakes. Even more so when we are rushed. I would like to thank you for all your efforts. I don't know where the Overclocking community would be without you and DFI raising the bar and pushing the limits.

To the community here. What we need is constructive critisism here. If you find a problem or bug if you will it is ok to point it out. To cry and moan and say DFI is this and that to me is unacceptable. Even triple more if you are using a beta bios or beta anything for that matter. You guys do know what beta means right? That means you are a tester and are willing to find bugs and report back. It also means you are willing to take risk and accept whatever the consequence are when something goes wrong. I thought this was common sence and didnt' need to be said. Bottom line is if you don't want to take these risk use an official bios.

Once again Oskar I thank you and you are the BEST!!!! Keep up the good work. Even though it doesnt seem so most of the enthusiast community is behind you it just seems you hear from the other side more!!

Basic terms:

Asus and MSI offer 3 year warranty for their motherboards

DFI's warranty for its motherboards is 1 year.

Come on people!!!! What are you arguing about? DFI only offers 1 year warranty for stock speeds and voltages.

dont know where you got that information but it is quite incorrect (and a simple search on these forums would alert you to your error)

3 years for motherboards in USA/Canada

you should search before attempting to look like you know what you are talking about.

dont know where you got that information but it is quite incorrect (and a simple search on these forums would alert you to your error)

3 years for motherboards in USA/Canada

you should search before attempting to look like you know what you are talking about.

Show me where I can find warranty info on DFI's web site. Tell me why there was no warranty info and registration card for my DFI motherboard from my retailer. I want to read the terms and conditions of DFI warranty. Not the ones you wrote in this thread.

At zipzoomfly.com, it says the warranty is one year.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=246478

I have modded a version of the 704-2BT that does now NOT have 123% and above for vcore...this should now render the bios safe for use.

If you want this version pop me an email, i will of course ask the mods here if i can post this publicly as it did come from a dangerous build.

For now, if you want to test mail me

6/23 bios has been put as offical one and not beta anymore ...

Generally , modify anything in bios that is voltage related need to be tested internally before it's released no matter it's alpha , beta or gamma ...

Before the 7/04 beta bios , no voltage related code has been modified ... In order to solve that sometimes new DDR500 option will fail to boot in 7/02 beta bios , I change the protection I made before and it's a negligent fault of me ... I am in a rush of solving the 7/02 beta bios problem , I forget to do the complete testing about the modification I made because generally I did not set low " CPU VID " + high " CPU VID Special Control " in the same time and did not found the fatal bug I made ...

In order to make every user happy , I have generate too much beta bios trying to satisfy every single user complain blah blah that this beta bios decrease my overclocking and please fix it and so on ... I don't really need to do all this and you can see this clearly when you have overclocking problem in other mb ... And something like this is impossible for any MB company ... I need to handle the complaint from other department because of this and this also affect which is the best version we should sent to do the validation and finally put it into official ... It's impossible for me to find a perfect one to satisfy everyone ... We have reset the validation for many times since 3/10 bios because some user compalin blah blah that my overclocking is not good with this one and fix it ... Finally we settle down 6/23 should be safe for general purpose and put it as official one now ... But there is still tons of complaint out there ... When you are trying to satisfy everybody , it's probably you will satisfy nobody ...

Give me sometime ... The bug in 7/04 bios will be solved within this week with full verification in the change I made ... And I will modify the 5/10 based fix as well if you are not happy with 6/23 official one ...

Thank you for all your efforts. No other MB company I know of would go to all this trouble. :)

...In order to make every user happy , I have generate too much beta bios trying to satisfy every single user complain blah blah that this beta bios decrease my overclocking and please fix it and so on ... I don't really need to do all this and you can see this clearly when you have overclocking problem in other mb ... ... But there is still tons of complaint out there ... When you are trying to satisfy everybody , it's probably you will satisfy nobody ...

I think that most of the people are more than satisfied with what you are doing. You just hear the complaining minority since people don't tend to post if they are not satisfied.

I, for one, am very thankful for all the effort that you and the rest of DFI (AG and RGone especially) have put into this board.

CJ

Oskar: Thank you for letting us know about this issue. also thanks if it was you who made the version tony has that removes the dangerous settings.

To anyone who lost hardare: I feel sorry for you guys, i've lost hardware from bios flashes, sitting on CPU's, sneezing while attaching coolers, and general stupidity. it's never fun and you always want someone to give you a new piece of hardware, becaue its depressing.

Well all i can say that doesnt repeat everyone else, is good luck on making this BIOS safe Oskar, those that didnt toast their CPU seem to really love this BIOS.

Show me where I can find warranty info on DFI's web site. Tell me why there was no warranty info and registration card for my DFI motherboard from my retailer. I want to read the terms and conditions of DFI warranty. Not the ones you wrote in this thread.

At zipzoomfly.com, it says the warranty is one year.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=246478

510-274-8000

talk to donna or frank

ask them

you'll find out that being a smartass means you still don't have a clue what you are talking about and I do since i work for DFI.

satisfied?

i get really tired of some of you acting like I have no clue or don't even work for the company...did it occur to you that maybe I DO know what I am talking about when it comes to things like warranty length? Did it occur to you to do as I suggested and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND YOU WOULD SEE NOT ONLY ME BUT DONNA ANSWERING THIS QUESTION?

or do you not believe that donna works for DFI?

would you like to drive to the office in Hayward and find a secret document behind UV-retardant glass that states the 10 commandments of DFI warranty terms?

Would you like the CEO to make a sworn testimonial that yes there is a 3 year warranty on USA/Canada boards since you are oh-so-hard-to-please and won't believe anything an actual employee says?

Guest JediMaster

Hi Oskar,

Thanks for your warning about the 7/04 beta bios. I personally deeply appreciate your prompt action and honest effort in admitting that there could be a potential issue with that bios.

Also, I've been having a dizzying rock-n-roll with the DFI Ultra-D motherboard - so far so good :) . I've been able to overclock my Venice 3000+ (0517EPAW) to 3.01GHz, obtained a superfast 1M SuperPi time of 28.047 sec on air, and managed to take my PDP all the way to 290MHz @ 2.5-3-3-8 (nf4 TCCD thread at XtremeSystems: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...?t=53290&page=1).

Well, I actually happened to have played with the 704-3 beta bios for a few hours before I realized that there is a warning out to ditch that bios. And surprise, surprise ! With that bios I was actually able to memtest the PDP to 300MHz from my previous best of 290MHz. Also, I did use both the 123% and 126% options to pump in juice into my CPU (yeah I know it's kinda high for air) ;) for sometime. And my Venice seems to have survived. However, I switched back to 510-3 bios because I was neither able to reproduce my fastest 1M SuperPi @ 28.047 sec nor were the PDP sticks stable during 32M SuperPi @ 300MHz in windows.

Looks like the 704-3 bios holds a lot of promise for TCC(X) sticks. Hopefully you will get us the patch soon :) ! Thanks again to you, and Angry and RGone for your support !

PS: My first post around here though I take a peek whenever I could squeeze in some free cycles !

510-274-8000

talk to donna or frank

ask them

you'll find out that being a smartass means you still don't have a clue what you are talking about and I do since i work for DFI.

satisfied?

i get really tired of some of you acting like I have no clue or don't even work for the company...did it occur to you that maybe I DO know what I am talking about when it comes to things like warranty length? Did it occur to you to do as I suggested and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND YOU WOULD SEE NOT ONLY ME BUT DONNA ANSWERING THIS QUESTION?

or do you not believe that donna works for DFI?

would you like to drive to the office in Hayward and find a secret document behind UV-retardant glass that states the 10 commandments of DFI warranty terms?

Would you like the CEO to make a sworn testimonial that yes there is a 3 year warranty on USA/Canada boards since you are oh-so-hard-to-please and won't believe anything an actual employee says?

AG,

Your response to my questions sounds very strange. Are you under a lot of pressure or what? These were simple questions. Does DFI have an official document that lists all the terms and conditions for its limited warranty? Why should I call or even visit DFI offcie in order to get warranty information? This should be readily available on the DFI web site and users manual. Where is the warranty registration card in the retail box? Newegg.com does not have it and Zipzoomfly.com says the warranty is one year.

Did I ever say I didn't believe you? Where did you get the impression from? I was trying to make a point that DFI management has done a poor job in this area and this is EXACTLY why we have this debate about DFI warranty in this thread.

Thanks for the reply and have a nice day!

P.S. This is the same case about which bios version we should use -1, -2 or -3. You recommended -2 for all memory types. No one questioned your credibility. But you over-reacted. You talked about a recorded conversation with Mr. Wu etc. We are not in a court session, aren't we? Do we need witnesses? It was DFI who created this confusion not you and you are a tech support personeel for DFI. Take it easy my friend.

Well, while I'm at it, I would like to thank "Angry" for his time and effort that he puts in on this forum, and for the help he has been providing all of us. Thank you. I for one, did not realize you worked for DFI, but it is nice to know. As for believing you, I see that about 99.8% of the posters here do, even though it may not seem that way sometimes. Keep up the good work Angry, "Fight the Good Fight!" :nod: