Sign in to follow this  
Protostar

Bios -1,-2,-3 / final answer which is for which

I'll tell you what guys............

forget the whole thing ........ but thanks for posting.

Techpowerup is right.

1-Tccd/Tcc5

2-BH/CH/UTT

3-generic

Some random exceptions crop up, like people using ultra cheap value ram and reporting better results with -2. You obviously can't fit every fit every chip ever manufactured concretely into one of those 3 categories.

Your plat rev 2 *should* work the best with -1 but is worth a try on -3 as well.

Instead of whining, why don't you try the other 2 and figure out what works best for YOU.

Some of the problem may be that, though there are trends, RAM works differently from setup to setup and each RAM reacts a little differently to timing settings. Here is the best answer that I have been able to find:

-1 very tight DRAM drive strengths and really only for tight timings memory like bh-5

-2 best for all types, BH-5, UTT, TCCD (nothing is good for Hynix though). -2 is still the most popular and the most compatible that we have found

-3 supposedly for TCCD but -3 doesn't do TCCD for me, -2 does and I always recommend -2 as it has fixed the most user issues with bios out of any of them.

would i post it if i wasn't sure?

the drive strength on -1 is too strong to be for anything but BH-5/UTT tight timings memory

-2 works with TCCD high htt's and BH-5/UTT tight timings

-3 is supposed to be TCCD but it's pretty useless to me.

Rgone and I always recommend -2 for everyone. -2 fixes majority of users up with a good bios and they are off to the races.

you might have great or poor results with any version of any bios. it is always best to test which one is for you. Just because we swear by -2 doesn't mean it is best for you.

Hope this helps.

CJ

Thanks for your post CJ4........

It is appreciated.

I guess either I worded this wrong somehow or what i dunno.

The real point of my post is ..... Why .... is .... there ..... different .... opinions ....?

How come this is a debateable subject....?

Why does A G ( no offense ) say one thing. Techpowerup says pretty much the exact opposite & others have think/say somthing completely different.

I can pretty much figure I'm not going to get to the bottom of the mystery & I really do'nt know how else to spell it out.

I will again finsh this post by saying " I am not having trouble with my bios in any way what so ever " Understand everybody...?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be an overlooked anamoly.

Thanks for your post CJ4........

It is appreciated.

I guess either I worded this wrong somehow or what i dunno.

The real point of my post is ..... Why .... is .... there ..... different .... opinions ....?

How come this is a debateable subject....?

Why does A G ( no offense ) say one thing. Techpowerup says pretty much the exact opposite & others have think/say somthing completely different.

I can pretty much figure I'm not going to get to the bottom of the mystery & I really do'nt know how else to spell it out.

I will again finsh this post by saying " I am not having trouble with my bios in any way what so ever " Understand everybody...?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be an overlooked anamoly.

I agree with you 100%, as I've been shaking my head about this ever since I put this last system together. No other board I've used in the past has had 3 different sets of bios to pick and choose from and guess, hope and pray you pick the right one..... as I have seen no definitive answer on this subject. One place says this, another says that... on and on. Where is DFI' stance on this.... why are they not the ones to say which "-" is the best for whatever type ram? (and not a -1 works with this ram table 3/16, -2 works with that ram table 3/26 blah, blah. (and if anyone wants to know why I say that, its because its confusing as hell, thats why), kinda stuff either) Instead of users out in the field.

Sure, I'm running ok with the bios I'm using now, but...... is it the one that I "Should" be using? heh, Shot in the dark, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know what's worse...Having a type ram that gets alot of attention and everyone says try this or that, and conflicting each other, or having my ram (that gets no attention because of various reasons). I guess you just need to try them all. It's just another variable, along with all the settings in the bios. Could someone very skilled in math add up the number of settings in the bios, along with the number of bioses, and calculate the total number of variables I am looking at? Then I can multiply this number by about an hour (very least amount of time to run memtest and/or other benchmarks) to see how much time I need to spend optimizing my ram alone.

why ask then if you aren't going to believe anything I say?

If i tell you waht CJ quoted you as correct, you will just read someone else saying I am not correct and then you will be back to square 1 and not have an answer...

this is what was quoted to me nearly word for word (from oskar, cleaned up for chinese to english). If Oskar comes in and says that is not correct, then that means what he told me is incorrect.

Rgone read the same thing I read because I saved the conversation I had with Oskar because it had a lot of important info that he knows all about and we know nothing about in it.

either believe me or dont...but if you don't then again I ask why even bother to ask this question...if the guys that work for DFI and talk directly to Oskar about it won't tell you exactly what Oskar told to them...then who would you possibly believe?

What he is trying to get you to say, is that Techreport has it wrong, Rogueblowtorch has it wrong.... and you've got it right. Easy as that? Right?