Sign in to follow this  
Sorrento

A64 3700+ SD... how good these overclock?

Interested in upgrading the DFI system, and retiring the 3500+ NC on another system, so I thought about the 3700+ San Diego... but don't know how good it overclocks.

All I know is it has 1 mb of cache (L2) and runs at stock 11 x 200 speed, like the 3500+.

Anyone with a cpu with a core like this one sharing his/her experience would be highly apreciated :) I would like to know how hot these things are in comparison to 512 kb L2 cache chips, what would be the max overclock if the others share a 2.8 ghz on air, and stuff like that.

Moving to watercooling as well, so temperature as such won't be a problem... just an idea on the back of my head drilling a hole to the other side, like all things of course :rolleyes:

Thanks

Hehe, its always good to have you around AG... thanks.

I just don't understand this forum 100% yet... hehe, as you probably figured that out.

2.9 ghz is posible, with water? Was that 240 x 12 the limit? And is that faster than, let say 288 x 10 because of the FPU?

i stopped at 2880Mhz because i just didn't have time to go farther (OC Database)

i was very stable at 2950Mhz on water and air, but never could get 3Ghz stable even on water.

I figured 480Mhz overclock was just fine

its funny now because i yanked out the 2x512 OCZ BH-5's and put in 4 matching Buffalo TCCD's and now run 2GB @ 2T, 2-3-5-2 back at default stock CPU speed (2400Mhz)

there's no difference in performance...except in BF2...and the default clock + 2GB = better performance than 2880Mhz w/1GB of memory ;)

Im happy with my overclock :)

Ive pushed over 3ghz but I leave it running @ settings in my sig.....and from a DFI noob point of view I didnt have much trouble getting it there either :)

hi there just thought id share my experience with the 3700 so far

i've had it running stable with 1.55 [email protected] 270x10 on stock cooler with 150 divider on Mem coz my RAM sucks

i'm currently running @ 2.67 267x10 with 1.5 Vcore (Cos i don't like giving it too much Vcore on stock cooling) , same 150 divider again coz my RAM sucks, my RAM sucks so much that i am is single channel mode with 2 512 sticks of DDR400 cos it shows loads of errors in memtest x86 in dual channel.( same ram on Nforce2 did same thing so i know it's the RAM fault)

im also using a 20 to 24 pin converter on a 450 PSU so i think a new power supply with a native 24 pin connecter might help with the overclock a bit, i hope

i've had it running @ 2.77 for three hours but it eventually crashed

my current temps,44c CPU under full load for hours, [email protected] for Team 44261 Geordie-assasins.co.uk.

there's no difference in performance...except in BF2...and the default clock + 2GB = better performance than 2880Mhz w/1GB of memory ;)

That kills me :shake:, hehe more ram beats any other cards combination.

Interesting that KingPing could get to 3 ghz and you didn't... where is AMD's control quality, LOL no thanks since "control quality" would mean to make all cpu's overclock to its slowest link. I guess thats how it works, either get a good chip, an extraordinary one, or a really bad one; being there myself with the 3500+ NC :(

I believe 2.2 ghz on the 3700 is quite enough for 24/7 work, maybe to run it at 2.6 ghz too but that would be my limit; electric bill is killing me. What I want is to reach higher speeds if I want to show off with benchmarks, or if a friend wants to get humiliated... I am doing that already, hehe... and then return to an ordinary overclock after, YAY! for CMOS Reloaded :D

One final question, what is the diference in heat between a Venice and a San Diego? The FX55 CH is hell on earth, at stock 2.6 ghz people can't do anything with the stock heatsink unless they are daredevils and want to live in danger. Are these San Diegos anything like that, and what about the X2... is it as hot as I think it is?

ive seen a lot of users claim 3Ghz on air and even water but none have ever provided proof of it so...and suicide screens i just ignore because I can boot any of my newer A64's up past 3Ghz, and can even sometimes get into windows....but the highest I have ever been able to run all of the OC Database benches (Toaster Sig requirements etc) is 2950Mhz...but the voltage jump to get there from 2880Mhz was not work the extra 70Mhz on the cpu.

I know what you mean, and that explains a lot... which is good because it means the 3700+ I get has high chances of being as good as yours.

This is a friend's FX55 CH with peltier cooling at 3.2 ghz using 1.825 volts :eek2:

The motherboard he was using back then was the MSI K8N Neo2 (Ewwwww!), but now he is using a DFI nF4 Ultra-D instead; I think he works for DFI here. With the MSI he wasn't able to get more than 240 mhz HTT, but this proved to be a good thing since running at 200x16 is faster than 320x10; he can do both with the DFI now :cool:

3200mhz8og.jpg

Guest kris

I am a complete noob. First time builder and overclocker and I was able to get to 2800 easy BUT I am still trying to get prime stable. I can game and burn and run office apps and surf but prime errors out after about two hours. Can run prime stable for 24 hours at 2760 so I still have much to learn or I got a dud! It will still be fun trying to figure it out!

Weird, in all my systems if Prime95 ran for 1 hour with out problems, everytime it did it could run for 24 hours with out any errors. Maybe this behavior has to do with the temperature of the system, Prime95 stress RAM a lot and it is more eficient if temperature is below 40º C, same if case temperature increase things become unstable because of this.

Or maybe I have been lucky with Prime :)

I have my 3700SD stable in 2 settings. 249x10.5 @ 1.525v (2614MHz) giving my ram at 201mhz @ 2.6v 2.3.2.6 1T (166 ratio) or 260x10 @ 1.525v (2600MHz) with ram at 217MHz @ 2.5v 3.3.3.8 1T (166 ratio). Both are stable and never seem to error. My CPU revision is in my sig.

Sig didnt show...

PC: AMD 3700+ San Diego (CABGE 0516MPM), 1GB OCZ Dual Channel EL DDR (OCZ4001024ELDC-K), XFX Nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb, DFI Lanparty SLI-D (704-3 Bios), SATA 120GB HDD, Creative Audigy, 19" CRT/17" LCD.