Battlefield 2 Issues

Pihrana

i only saw bf2 with textures in high being playable, with a machine with 2 gf7800gtx in SLI and 1 gb of ram, or one with 2 b and a "normal" vga config :P

if you don't have any of those, textures must be set to medium (with that setting and my rig [see sig] bf2 + windows use 999/1010 Mb :P)

also, in options ,you want to set your conection to adsl or whatever it ays, leaving it in lan/t1 is suposed to give you lag/freeze problems.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats funny.... I played a patched BF2 lastnight for about 8 hours with no probs at all. I doubt they can *recall* a patch.

Have you got a link to your source?

Obviously you never played FarCry...

AWESOME game, but patches were pulled. err, "Recalled" if you want to call it that. Much like the July BIOS on the DFI website. Was available for download (many people DID download it), and then a day or two later Ubisoft came out and said "My bad! Patch is bad! Get rid of the patch!"

The main problem with the game is memory usage when using high settings not video card. I have a X850 and i get average of 60-70FPS only dipping below that on big explosions. But the game still runs choppy as hell in beginning or with more then 45ppl. Yet my FPS are not low. I noticed it was using 850MB of mem after exiting.

Ahhh I see....they are making a hotfix for the patch. If you have the Mem leakage probs , you can re-instal game without patch....BUT.......You will not be able to play multiplayer due to the WRONG version.

So people saying..quote "If you have installed the patch you must re-install the game. Nice!" un-quote... does not go anywhere near the truth.

This is incorrect. The part that says something about not being able to play in Multiplayer. If you guys use the "Filter's" at the bottom, like me, ie. Ranked, Populated, Not Full, Same Version Only you will get how many for that version. BUT, if you uncheck "Same Version Only" depending on what time of the day/night you will prolly see more people/servers that rolled back/reinstalled the game. I personally have reinstalled because I run on Ultra High settings (most of them) and I don't need a memory leak at all.

Since the patch really didn't do much for me except delay the "There is a problem with your Connection" deal, I didn't really mind, hopefully they will actually patch something that really matters.

-Freez

The main problem with the game is memory usage when using high settings not video card. I have a X850 and i get average of 60-70FPS only dipping below that on big explosions. But the game still runs choppy as hell in beginning or with more then 45ppl. Yet my FPS are not low. I noticed it was using 850MB of mem after exiting.

You aren't kidding about mem usage and BF2. I have not had any issues that were mem related at ALL during the past month, including zero problems with mem with lots of game play with D3, FarCry, and Half Life2. I usually run memtest every now and then to see how things are cooking and there typically are zero errors.

Well, this has changed. As of late, I have been trying to play BF2 and I was randomly getting crashes to desktop at seemingly random parts in the game during both single and multiplayer gaming. I really could hear my hard drive crunching, making me think that the pagefile was being used, despite my system having 1GB of mem.

I ran memtest, only to find that test #6 was all of a sudden spitting out THOUSANDS of errors!!! Not a few, over 6000 errors!! I was like, whoa?!?!

So, I made some changes and loosened some settings a tad, and now the machine has no mem errors and is Prime stable.

What I don't understand is how my mem could have been running perfectly stable for a long time, and it wasn't until I started playing BF2 that the memory started pumping out errors. It was almost as if BF2 pushed my mem and mobo into some strange settings that promoted the memory to start spitting out the errors!!

Ah well. All is well now. Game is running great and I am not running the recalled patch!

MC

It was pretty stupid to release a game without 1280x1024 which so many TFT's use. Add this to your shortcut for BF2.

Default looks like this...

"D:GAMESBattlefield 2BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

Change it to this...

"D:GAMESBattlefield 2BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Works for me, though you still wont see that resolution listed in the options, it will run in that mode.

Not sure about your performance issues. BF2 running great for me with spec in sig.

You are correct in your post ToneC, except I don't think there should be a space between the x or y and the number.

It should look like : "D:GAMESBattlefield 2BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx1280 +szy1024

I couldn't get it to run at that res until I removed the spaces...

I could be wrong though :confused:

My system will play BF2 with all settings set to high at 1280 X 1024 and 4 X AA. I do get a bit of stutter for about 30 seconds or so when I first connect to a server, but not in single player.

My system is running at stock speeds ATM...

Guest Lucky
Obviously you never played FarCry...

AWESOME game, but patches were pulled. err, "Recalled" if you want to call it that. Much like the July BIOS on the DFI website. Was available for download (many people DID download it), and then a day or two later Ubisoft came out and said "My bad! Patch is bad! Get rid of the patch!"

Ummm...I think this thread is on BF2 not Farcry or DFI....and you are wrong..I do own Farcry, but apparently its so obvious i dont.

Ummm...I think this thread is on BF2 not Farcry or DFI....and you are wrong..I do own Farcry, but apparently its so obvious i dont.

You missed the whole point of my post... You said:

Thats funny.... I played a patched BF2 lastnight for about 8 hours with no probs at all. I doubt they can *recall* a patch.

Have you got a link to your source?

My response was for you saying "I doubt they can *recall* a patch". Because they can. FarCry had a patch recalled, so why wouldn't BF2 be able to? DFI posted a BIOS on it's webpage, and quickly took it off as well.

I mentioned DFI and FarCry to prove my point, which goes hand in hand with the subject... which is that BF2 CAN and DID recall a patch. Didn't think I had to break it down like that...

runs pretty good on my system, I set it at 1600x1200 and medium for all, except high for all lighting related options and high texture filtering. I don't know the fps but it feels very responsive and fast most of the time with the occasional dip with lots of smoke or those explosions that make your vision go blurry. I can't tell if the fps is low or its just part of the effects of that. I do have a geforce 6800nu which is probably slightly better than a 6600gt. It doesn't overclock very well though so i keep it at stock.

I did install the 1.01 patch and havn't had any problems with it at all so i'm not gonna uninstall it unless I have to.

The guy who made BF2 made it with his feet... its filled with weird bugs, people with ATI cards are having issues, and the rest is having low ram problems.

From what I see you need 1.4 gb of RAM to play the game with out stuttering... 1 gb isn't enough :(

Zero, my machine can play at an average of 85 fps with FSAA 4x and everything on HIGH quality... yet when there is stuttering for lack of ram the FPS drop considerably. I need 2 GB!!!!

really sorrento ? :(

maybe there was no stutering with 2x 7800gtx and 1 gb because it was a single player game ? i tested it myself :P

the game + windows was taking 900+ (but less than 1000) mb, with everything on high, but with everything in medium in my rig, windows + bf2 take 1010 mb :P