Sign in to follow this  
daveinsurgent

4x512MB OCZ-3200 Premier oddities

I've just added two more sticks of OCZ-3200 Premier (2.5-3-3-7) to my rig, all four are the same memory... the previous stuff clocked well, but I'm not THAT interested in overclocking it to the max as I am just getting 2 gig of memory (hence why I bought the premier) anyway, I'm noticing some odd things happening in games...

Well firstly I did a memtest for 8 hours and there was no errors.

SP2004 (modified GUI for Prime95) on the CPU/memory both for 8 hours, no problem.

In BF2 I'm getting some problems where the text appears blocky. I also notice some strange shader stuff going on - more on that in a sec..

My THEORY is:

Was running hellfire 520-2; wasn't stable. Flashed to new BIOS (7xx-1 first, not stable, then 618-2), this may have messed up the GART table but made the timings fine. So now memory and CPU are both fine but the graphics is 'unstable' despite the video card being okay. Can fix this by reinstalling nforce/ati drivers, or reformatting (I prefer the latter). In BF2 I'm seeing a wierd bug with sandbags where they look like they're... it's impossible to explain. I really doubt the video card is the problem but the problem is BF2 isn't the best game to count on in terms of testing stability since it's well... nothing but bugs. CS Source just crashed but that could be many things since I was alt+tabbing etc.... I'm working long hours with a long bus ride both ways and I don't have a whole lot of time to work on this... I'm going to leave 3DMark2005 running since it tends to be sensitive to memory/fsb overclocks and just crashes, so if that's stable when I get home from work (10+ hours runtime) then I don't know WHAT to think

Anyway... to summarize my actual questions:

1) Can a BIOS update screw up the GART table?

2) If memtest and sp2004 don't find any problems with mem/cpu... what else can be causing crashes and graphic corruption (I'm doubting it's the video card... ATItool and ATItray tools don't find anything either plus this started after adding the memory before that the card worked fine for hours upon hours of straight play)

I'm really thinking the BIOS update messed the GART table up. Hoping.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Yeah, my bad, I went in to the CP and did that AFTER typing the message but BEFORE hitting submit.. and I had hoped that the script would just parse it on afterwards but it didn't.

One minute to get a response to fix the sig, I fix the sig, no help..

Forget these forums; I wont be reccomending any DFI products to any performance-enthusiast customers anymore, either.

Forget these forums; I wont be reccomending any DFI products to any performance-enthusiast customers anymore, either.

Have to agree with you on this one, I'n not putting a DFI board in my machine ar any clients of mine machines. Nothing but trouble!

Who you want to help you man? Somebody that has seen the problem and fixed it is the only one that will do you 'any' good at all. Well not many are running 4x512 yet and myself I would not run the memory you have in a 4x512 configuration. I don't think that memory has real good results with this board.

So who can help you? Probably yourself as you logged it all and answered yourself at the end. Nobody in their right mind wants to dissaude a man from his own thought out fix. You asked and answered your own question as it were. Hard to compete with that.

RGone...

Have you taken the two new sticks out and just run 1gig again .. ?

Just to test and see if you problem is still there ..

I'm with THunDA. Try that. These boards are just picky, and it has been stated MANY times throughout these forums that you are basically gambling if 4X512 will work for you.

Also, whoa there buddy, just because some people on the forums can't fix your problem, you are never going to reccommend DFI again? A little hasty, don't you think? Have you tried talking with the official tech support, one on one? My reccommenation would be to troubleshoot some more to find out what your real problem is.

@Fazz

Good luck with using ECS and other third-rate components in your systems. DFI is for the "enthusiast". Are your clients 65 year olds? Go buy a Dell or something.

I'm moving to 4 x 512 Mushkin L2V2 which I believe will "play nice"

This with a 4800+ X2

It's "experimental" time.........

But I REALLY like the idea of 2 gigs of RAM with this X2

Hey dave, for the heck of it, download S&M set it to long and turn it loose on your memory.

It appears to be your weak link. I downloaded bf2 demo and had my son play it for about an hour today, seeing how my oc and lower end of medium graphics card worked.

I've got good strong cooling on my mem and with this game running, got my mem hotter than I've seen any bench get it. I have a prode taped right to one of my sticks.