Problems Ocing 2600+

Kurt871

Ok, so here's the deal. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, and I wanted to crank some more juice out of it. I heard here that many users have theirs at 200*12, so I gave that a shot. However, when I did that, either the comp wouldnt POST or Windows wouldnt start. So, I took the multiplier down to 11.5. Sucess! POST, and Windows started. Everything was going fine until about ten minutes into Windows, everything would lock up and id have to restart. So, I took it back down to the default 166*12.5, and everything is fine again. I thought maybe the voltage might have been the suspect, so I upped it to 1.85V, but it still did it. What can I do? Thanks for any help. Here are some specs:

ASUS A7N8X Del. Mobo

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

512MB (2x256) DDR400 RAM

Guest MetalMilitia18

what are your temps? they might to be suspect, but since it won't boot, it could be your RAM, mine did that, what kinda ram you got? mine is jack crap so i can't do anything on it, but if you are using the stock fan you might not want to overclock too much, and like bishop said, burn it in for christ's sake, 400 mhz jump is huge, let alone 200

@MetalMilitia18 - Temps are around 45C to 50C. I'm using Mushkin DDR400 RAM and they both have heatsinks on them. I also have a Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink with an 80mm fan.

@gouber - Ill look into that

Thanks for the advice guys, hope I can get it stable :)

Like Gouber said, remember you're OCing the AGP and PCI also.....--temps are fine....

Unless you lock the AGP bus to 66Mhz, that is correct..

and on to the question at hand

SLOW DOWN!!! you need to go much slower... you might be able to hit those speeds

but you need to build up to it in much smaller increments......\

Guest MetalMilitia18

you should move up in increments of 5 and just keep going until it becomes unstable, once it becomes unstable, work it up in increments of 1. once it becomes unstable again, go to the number 1 lower than the highest stable point, and burn it in. after you burn it in for awhile, start trying to move it up in increments of one again. this should work fine, you got good ram