Sign in to follow this  
CODESEVEN

2GB (1GBX2) or BUST!

Ok, screw it, I've been researching and reading everything I can about memory in general and 1GB memory specifically, at many Forums and have recieved alot of much appreciated help. As of today, I now have all my components delivered, except for the memory, which now is the only thing holding off assembly of my new PC that I have been waiting to build for several years.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 90nm 1mb L2 cache

DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR

1-BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256mb

WD 74 Gb SATA 10,000 rpm Raptor

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI

NEC 3540A DVD RW

Mitsumi Floppy 7 in 1 USB Card Reader/Smart Media Internal Drive

Lian Li PC-60B Plus case

I RMA'd 1GB (2X512) OCZ PC-4000 VX Gold in favor of 2GB (2X1GB). I want 2GB for future games and I would like to be able to add more of the same memory later on without regretting what I buy now so I want it to be the best. But for the life of me I haven't been able to find conclusively which 2GB (2X1GB) to buy. Rather than await hearing anything definitive from OCZ about their own PC-4000 1GB sticks coming out, I'm ready get this long awaited PC put together as soon as possible.

From all I can gather on different Forums, one brand of 1GB module seems to be most often mentioned as the one to get, and thats Crucial Ballistixs. Specifically, the Tracer series.

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/MPa...BL2KIT12864L503

Please let me know if I'm making a mistake, otherwise I'm in search mode for the cheapest place to get'em and them sent ASAP!

Thanks for helping me decide on what I have so far, I appreciate it.

Mike

Guest burningrave101

It will work the same with the Ballistix or the Value. The only real difference between the two is the micron -5B D chips on the Ballistix are binned at a higher speed. If you've got alot of money to spend then get the Ballistix/Tracer modules but its not likely they'll give you a performance increase you'll actually notice and their ALOT more expensive. Like $150+ more expensive.

I have 2x1gig of the Mushkin hp3200 2-3-2-6 1T stuff. It works flawless in my SLI-DR. I highly recommend this stuff. I bought it directly from Mushkin.

Shawn

Guest burningrave101
I have 2x1gig of the Mushkin hp3200 2-3-2-6 1T stuff. It works flawless in my SLI-DR. I highly recommend this stuff. I bought it directly from Mushkin.

Shawn

Whats the max overclock you've been able to get with them? I've seen a couple of other members over at HardForum that has them and they seemed to get descent results. I really like my Crucial PC3200 value sticks. Only $105 a stick and great performance for value memory.

i'm using and testing the same crucial sticks as krid and burningrave. here's the thread with my up-to-date results. trying to get em BF2 and memtest stable at DDR500 1T. i bought them once i heard they use the same 5B-D chips as the DDR500 ballistix and that is true for me. if i get em stable, i will have saved myself $150 :D

I have a 1GB stick of Crucial based on micron -5BD (shall get another shortly). It does 2.5-2-2 upto 232MHz and upto 270 @ 3-3-3. Highly recommended!

Raptors run in packs, you should get another one.

Hehe yeah shall get once i have the money. I'm a poor grad student :D.

Shawn

i have the same, great ram. i got it from tankguys along with another dfi, an ultra-d this time.

this ram is great for me, went to 225mhz 2-3-2-7 and i'm running now 250 2.5-3-3-5, 24hour prime finieshed last night. more importantly, bf2 stable, lol