Sign in to follow this  
sava700

Power Performance Drop running in SLI?

My system specs are in my Sig for this problem.. I'm running dual 6800 GT's at stock speeds or at least trying to anyway.

I'm usually in a game such as BF2 and wham the game desktops out to a Nvidia power sentinal popup saying its lowered the performance of the graphics to help prevent damage?!??!?! Ok I'm running a SLI certified PS from pcpowerand cooling which is the 510Turbo Cool SLI PS. From what the tech guy on the phone from them said I should have MORE than enough power to run this thing plus more.

Only thing I can come up with is there are 4 power connections to this MOBO at which 1 being right below the processor and above the first PCI slot nearest to a few small grey heat sinks.. its a 4 pin FDD connector that looks as if it takes a floppy power connector. My PS only has one connector for this and of course the layout is 5v on the left "RED" and 12v on the right "Yellow" two grounds in the middle.. If your looking at the Mobo it should be like this according to the insructions. Well if I try to hook this connector to it it doesn't snap into place at all and when I just push it on.. the comp doesn't boot up..just a few fans start to run. I switch it around and it boots up but it doesn't snap into place and again this just doesn't seem right since its yellow or 12v over the 5vpin?!?!? So would this connection not hooked up cause this power issue or popup with the graphics cards?? Also where do I get a cable adaptor to maybe hook to a regular molex connector to connect to this hookup?? I'm just running out of options besides the PS not working properly but the rails look solid on a meter.

Guest oRiOn

you need all 4 connected, I think the one that uses the floppy connector is down by the gfx cards for a reason :)

Well the issue I run into with that small floppy connector is per the instructions.. 5V on the left.. two grounds in middle and 12v on the right.

If you look at the blueprint for the Powersupply it says 12v is Yellow which would be plugged in to the right on top of the 12v pin RIGHT?!! well it won't snap into place and if I just push it on it and go to start computer it doesn't start only a few fans run... If I switch it around it turns on but I have 12v over top of the 5vpin.... and the popup still exists causing the power issue.

Either the DFI instruction book is WRONG or I need a special connector for that to tap off say a MOLEX connector to get it power.

IIRC there was a misprint in the manual in relation to power connectors and thier colors

Just plug it in (the way the plug fits) and you should be fine

IIRC there was a misprint in the manual in relation to power connectors and thier colors

Just plug it in (the way the plug fits) and you should be fine

Its been plugged in the way it fits for a few days.. still getting the power popup saying its dropping performance to protect it from damage.... I don't want to protect it from damage damn I just want the sucker to run in stock speeds hell I haven't even begun to want to OC the cards yet lol

I'd rather see smoke comming from them at least then I can RMA every thing in the case... I can't believe there isn't any DFI tech that reads these forums that has seen this Nvidia Power Sentinal Popup?!!??!

Hey Sava, this may be redundant, but make sure this is hows yours is going.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16305 Post#4

Oh yes, make sure you don't need to plug that 4 pin Power into your PCI-e, I am not sure what it is for...

I've followed that post earlier today..and posted in it already.

I see all 4 places to plug into but as I've said earlier even with all 4 plugged in I can be in the middle of say BF2 and boom to desk top I go to see that Nvidia power Sentinal popup saying its lowered performance to keep from damaging it.

Has anyone ever seen this popup???

It takes stock Core from 370 down to 201 and stock memory from 1000 down to 599!!!!

This makes for a major downgrade that I can't control...only way I can get it back to where it was is to unplug power from comp plug back in and power back up and reset to default core and mem speeds to only go through the same thing again and again.. the only way I can avoid it is leave it be where it moved everything too or UNDER clock each one down to say 330 core and 930 memory for example but that shouldn't need to be done.

I want to OC em one day and I'm sure this PS is enough to power everythingI have plus way more.