4x512 2T a success .... so far

bread

Well after watching BF2 bring my machine to it's knees, multiple times, I took the plunge and ordered another set of the OCZ 4000 VX modules. Yes I know it's not going to allow me to maintain 1T, but after seeing countless, not backed up, posts regarding the hit with swapping to 2T, I did some testing of my own. The real world difference was soo small it was enough to make me anticipate my new memories arrival even more.

My previous memory smoked along at 260 1.5-2-2-5. I changed the divider to 9/10 set the command rate to 2T and plopped in the new ones (after shutting down of course). Up goes the machine, 3/10 bios with memory occupying all slots was happy as a clam. :sweat:

After a little drive strength and latency tweaks, passing of memtest, I was booting into windows at 10x260 (same cpu speed) with the memory on a 9/10 divider at 2-2-2-5.

BF2 starts up and I dive in to change my old 1 gigabyte video settings. High across the board, apply, and into a game I go.

There really isn't much to be said about the difference between 1 gig and 2 gig other then the fact that it's practically like going from a power point presentation to a dvd movie ... in HD. :tooth:

I'm currently running memtest on that rig to get the timings as tight as I can get em, and the fsb hopefully close to where it was. But for now, 4x512 at 2T rocks in BF2. :nod:

Nice 4 sticks are doin fine. How high will they go at 1:1 without the divider? Im thinking about another set of VX too. Could you run Sandra or Everest to see the diff between 2 sticks at 1t and 4 at 2t (same settings)?

Cheers

As soon as I get em burned in I'll run the everest, sandra stuff for you all. Hopefully they will be coerced enough to get to 260 as well and can really do the 1T 2T stuff for you all with the same speeds and stuff.

I can say this much though, going to 2 gigs is what it's all about.

1T dumpty

2T smoooooothT

:nod:

there is no noticeable difference in any program from 1T to 2T

period

a benchmark might show 1%-5% difference but you will NEVER see a difference...you will see a difference in certain aspects like loading times and the lack of caching from the pagefile with 2GB, so in essence you could say that 2GB @ 2T is better performing than 1GB @ 1T.

but in how many pixels and polygons and collision objects and all that....1T vs 2T is a very very very moot point and you guys need to really forget all about thinking there is a performance penalty.

NF2 yeah...there was a huge penalty.

NF3/NF4 no...because of the integrated memory controller.

test it yourself. Even with your current setup. You will find that I am not bull crapting you and it might help you all to get this whole '2T is worse performance' stigma cured ;)

(no im not singling anyone out or yelling at you...just trying to do my part to educate you that a LOT of things you used to know with AthlonXP/P4 cpu's is no longer a factor and sometimes not even true at all with the new A64 and it's integrated memory controller)

interesting.. obviously 2gb would make a big diff in load times, but i wouldn't have thought much once in the game...

yeah have u tried 1t?

Yes I tried it extensively as I only had 1 gigabyte of memory up until last night. Like AG said, 1T really really only shows up in the numbers games 'ie benchmarks'. If you are building your machine to be a benchmark queen, then do what it takes to maintain every little ounce of speed possible. If you are building your machine to be a gaming rig, then you will want what is best with games. In the case of BF2, 2 gigs of ram - however you can get it - is what you want.

glad to hear it turned out good for you... one small note though, the difference between 1gb and 2gb basically isn't anything in games other than bf2. bf2 simply requires 2gb of ram for full performance. same as doom3 required 1gb for full performance, 512mb just wasn't enough for d3.

Good to hear Bread..

I love 2gig's and BF2.. It just eats it up for breakfast, lunch and dinner..hehe..

I have another set of bh5 coming from someone in a few days so that I can run 2gig's of bh5 and once they get here Ill post up some differences also..

Everyone NEEDS to stop being so stuck on 1T.. !! I mean if you want a plain out benching rig then you shouldnt be looking for 2gig's anyways.. But honestly the smooth game play in BF2 MORE THAN makes up for the couple hundred points in 3dmark that I might loose from 2T..

:nod:

Tweaking the timings on 4 sticks isn't quite as easy as I had hoped, but once I get it right... :drool:

Its never easy.. just take your time and be patient..

I know im not using VX.. but I did notice that with 4 sticks changing Max Async Latency to 8ns helped.. normally with 2 sticks 7ns worked ok ..

GL.. :D