Intel Is Going To Respond

bigred

intel and MS have now backed out of a little dispute they had over opteron and the 64bit OS's that are coming out. NO intel support at all was the issue that almost took the two giants to court.

intel will get itanium support for server 2003 64bit, but not in xp or longhorn. however intel is sending out samples of thier new 32/64bit chip early next month for MS to start developing the NEXT os to support it along with opteron. It'll be another 12-18 months before intel's new chip is ready for retail sales though

I work for MS, I had to try one of the betas for xp 64 on a P4. it won't even LOAD. I asked one of the programers and he said there is NO intel support in any 64bit windows version YET.

I think this means the athlon 64 and opteron have the market to themselves for at least a year. And they don't even have an officail release of an OS yet... kinda scary but it looks like intel gambled wrong with itanium