Hurricane Dennis - Say a prayer for us!

red930

Well, they have activated our EOC so I have to go in tonight at midnight and be there until its through. Current track shows us only getting brushed in the Tampa Bay area and hopefully the damn thing doesnt change it's mind. Gonna be a long weekend. Get outta the way of this one folks, it's a bruiser for sure.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it wont be canceled. at worst postponed, or we will find some hotel to stay in on the way down until it clears up. we're a very determined group of people lol

Please stay put and DO NOT deliberately encounter a cat 3 or above storm.

I live on the intercostal waterway about 25 miles East of Panama City beach and have spent all day today securing the boat I work on. (37 footer)

The bridge near my house is the only way out for 25 miles each direction.

It shuts down when the wind reaches 45mph, you are here for the duration.

*(and I might make coffee for the state troopers and have water for the darwin candidates if I stay.)

So long as the house stands, I am about 25 feet off the water and should be ok. but I will make the call at the appropriate time.

We took the boat upriver and I shot probably 150 pictures, but its on boss's digital and it may be some time before we get them online. *(He is boarding his house up right now as he lives 3 blocks off the beach. It's cool though, his house has a breakaway first floor and sits on pilings.)

Tomorrow we go reposition the boat and then pray for the best.

Right now it has 3 anchors and a tree holding it. We will possibly reposition tomorrow morning. We have a flotilla up there now of about 20 boats and growing. Location is 15 miles up the ICWaterway and away from the ocean.)

*(means the storm surge just takes longer to feed from PSJ and Panama city into the ICWaterway and then up the creek where we are anchored.)

Trust me Kamel, you dont want any part of it when it hits.

I doubt I will disuade you from your adventure. But I advise against it.

PS you florida folks need this linky ~ !@

http://hurricanealley.net/Storms/04L.html

http://hurricanealley.net/index.htm

Just move mouse to a storm and click for projected path.

Its what we used all last year also.

Edit check the wind projection and get your calculator.

1 mph = 0.868976242 knot

http://hurricanealley.net/Storms/04LFWS.html

KNOTS to MPH. 20 kts = 23 mph. 95 kts = 109 mph. 25 kts = 29 mph. 100 kts = 115 mph. 30 kts = 35 mph. 105 kts = 121 mph. 35 kts = 40 mph. 110 kts = 127 mph ...

RE-EdIT : So Panama City is forecasted to recieve 50+ MPH Sustained. Its not a picnic.

RE - Edit : Local 6 pm Panama City news shows alot (45%) OF Panama City is being evacuated tomorrow at 7 am. Again, this is not something to take lightly. *(From Destin to this area is now closed and low lying areas are being evacuated. )

So come midnight or midday tomorrow, the closest your going to get to panama city is stopped 60 miles inland and told to turn around.

12 to 16 foot storm surge is expected if we take a direct hit.

i remember those days of living in Orlando and having hurricanes pass right over us (ripping the roof off our apt building)

can't say i miss that at all (nor the huge amounts of evacuees that end up in your town and then the nasty price-gouging that goes on...tho there's laws against that now, you still see it happening)

Please stay put and DO NOT deliberately encounter a cat 3 or above storm.

I live on the intercostal waterway about 25 miles East of Panama City beach and have spent all day today securing the boat I work on. (37 footer)

The bridge near my house is the only way out for 25 miles each direction.

It shuts down when the wind reaches 45mph, you are here for the duration.

*(and I might make coffee for the state troopers and have water for the darwin candidates if I stay.)

So long as the house stands, I am about 25 feet off the water and should be ok. but I will make the call at the appropriate time.

We took the boat upriver and I shot probably 150 pictures, but its on boss's digital and it may be some time before we get them online. *(He is boarding his house up right now as he lives 3 blocks off the beach. It's cool though, his house has a breakaway first floor and sits on pilings.)

Tomorrow we go reposition the boat and then pray for the best.

Right now it has 3 anchors and a tree holding it. We will possibly reposition tomorrow morning. We have a flotilla up there now of about 20 boats and growing. Location is 15 miles up the ICWaterway and away from the ocean.)

*(means the storm surge just takes longer to feed from PSJ and Panama city into the ICWaterway and then up the creek where we are anchored.)

Trust me Kamel, you dont want any part of it when it hits.

I doubt I will disuade you from your adventure. But I advise against it.

PS you florida folks need this linky ~ !@

http://hurricanealley.net/Storms/04L.html

http://hurricanealley.net/index.htm

Just move mouse to a storm and click for projected path.

Its what we used all last year also.

Edit check the wind projection and get your calculator.

1 mph = 0.868976242 knot

http://hurricanealley.net/Storms/04LFWS.html

KNOTS to MPH. 20 kts = 23 mph. 95 kts = 109 mph. 25 kts = 29 mph. 100 kts = 115 mph. 30 kts = 35 mph. 105 kts = 121 mph. 35 kts = 40 mph. 110 kts = 127 mph ...

RE-EdIT : So Panama City is forecasted to recieve 50+ MPH Sustained. Its not a picnic.

RE - Edit : Local 6 pm Panama City news shows alot (45%) OF Panama City is being evacuated tomorrow at 7 am. Again, this is not something to take lightly. *(From Destin to this area is now closed and low lying areas are being evacuated. )

So come midnight or midday tomorrow, the closest your going to get to panama city is stopped 60 miles inland and told to turn around.

12 to 16 foot storm surge is expected if we take a direct hit.

eh o_O i'm not the one that makes the decisions, heh. i guess i didn't make that clear.

anyway, we found a spot on murtle beach to do the camp, so we will be far out of the hurricane's reach.

Hey Mike,

Didnt see this thread till this morning, . it looks like your in for a beating down there. You keep your head down and no heroics - ya hear!

I hope you got plenty of supplies in the cellar (I do mean beer in this case)...

respect.

This is Panama City Beach Local news and what I am watching.

http://www.wmbb.com/ *(click the streaming link for simulcast

of the storm coverage.) (It has about a 1 minute delay from the live TV boradcast in the living room.)

I am about 30 miles East of Panama and so far we got lucky.

Pass the link on. They already are getting worldwide Emails/phone calls on the coverage. (excellent)

Hwy 98 in Carabelle is breached washed out and all bridges are closed. 98 in PSJ is about to start getting coverd in the initial tidal surge and Panama City beach pier is where the wmbb reporters were about 15 minutes ago.

During Ivan they were the only thing on the Air for 150 + miles on the coast each way. I am staying online till the electrical storms get bad *(I dont say the L word) or the wind knocks the power out.

This has a 30 foot bulge of water lifted up under the eye, when it comes to land it will be catastrophic whererver it hits.

Right now, Tornados, f1 f2 *(oh snap f3 !~!!!!!!!) are a possibility in this reigon.

Well,

Greetings from Gautier, Mississippi. Hurricane central for DFI-Street.

Cobia and I decided to board up and ride it out. If we had any reservations we would have gotten the hell outta dodge earlier.

Since the max winds are so close to the eye of the storm even if it hits Mobile dead on we should only get slightly greater than hurricane force winds. We're just under 40 miles from Mobile Alabama.

If you find Pascagoula Mississippi on the map you will see we're only six miles north and six miles west of the center of town.

We're well off the coastline but fairly close to the western edge of the Pascagoula Salt Marsh which is about five miles wide.

The windows are boarded up and we have a stockpile of supplies. Lots of comfort foods like chocolate chip cookies, beef jerky and beer.

Here's a link to the local radar showing the progress. The display uses JAVA. If it doesn't work you can always use the menu on the left side to view the still images of the storm.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmob.shtml

That's the eye of hurricane coming in from the bottom right.

You used the words beer and case in the same sentence. Good thinking! lol

Actually we are stocked up pretty good. We're making block ice to keep things cold in the event power is out for several days. Of course an extended power outage means serious DFI-Street withdrawals. EEEK!

Hey Mike,

Didnt see this thread till this morning, . it looks like your in for a beating down there. You keep your head down and no heroics - ya hear!

I hope you got plenty of supplies in the cellar (I do mean beer in this case)...

respect.

Holly Crap! Carabelle, FLA

I used to spend a lot of time in Carabelle. We had the last cabin on the beach before the National Forrest as you head west to East Point.

I can't tell you how many platters of scallops and pitchers of sweet Iced Tea I had at Julia Mae's.

Spent many spring vacations at Elvis's place out on St. George island.

Are you down by Mexico Beach?

This is Panama City Beach Local news and what I am watching.

http://www.wmbb.com/ *(click the streaming link for simulcast

of the storm coverage.) (It has about a 1 minute delay from the live TV boradcast in the living room.)

I am about 30 miles East of Panama and so far we got lucky.

Pass the link on. They already are getting worldwide Emails/phone calls on the coverage. (excellent)

Hwy 98 in Carabelle is breached washed out and all bridges are closed. 98 in PSJ is about to start getting coverd in the initial tidal surge and Panama City beach pier is where the wmbb reporters were about 15 minutes ago.

During Ivan they were the only thing on the Air for 150 + miles on the coast each way. I am staying online till the electrical storms get bad *(I dont say the L word) or the wind knocks the power out.

This has a 30 foot bulge of water lifted up under the eye, when it comes to land it will be catastrophic whererver it hits.

Right now, Tornados, f1 f2 *(oh snap f3 !~!!!!!!!) are a possibility in this reigon.