Hurricane Dennis - Say a prayer for us!

red930

Forecaster Avilla predicts Dennis will be a Category 4 by the time it makes landfall on the Gulf Coast.

I know what that means to me,Cat 4's are very damaging,wow can't believe they're here this early!!!Hope this isn't an omen for the rest of hurricane season.

Anybody have any doubts what a Cat 4 can do

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/g...galleries.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/16/hurricane.ivan/

This is some damage from Isabel,which I think was only a Cat 3,this is in Richmond which is 80-100 mi from coast,

http://www.harkphoto.com/isabel.html

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a pic of the damage to Interstate 10 across Escambia bay in Pensacola.

photo7.jpg

The damage was just as bad on the other side of the rise in the road.

And yes! That's the remains of an 18 wheeler that tried to cross during the hurricane. He died!

Well I'm not in the way yet,have to see how bad it's going to get,the guy I worked w/last year,from S.Carolina just called to tell me about it.

I got into Pensacola the mourning after last year and he was there the day b4,if it's really going to be a Cat 4 at landfall,I guess I gots to show.

ExRoadie,

They ever get I-10 fixed yet,they had opened up 2 lanes of traffic on the bayside bridge,when I was there.They were sayin they might have to construct a whole new bridge

drive north if you can, people. heck, here in kentucky, we always get the remnants of hurricanes, be it from the south or the east. and it's always bad by the time it gets to us so we can't imagine what it's like to get hit as these storm system hit shore. it's easy to say you should be used to this but, really, drive north if you can. if not, bunker down. we are thinking and praying for you. are we not the only country that gets tornadoes AND hurrricanes on a yearly basis? we're with you, man! let us know if there's any way this community can help yours.

Everyone in the path of Dennis has my prayers Bro. Just make sure you, and your family, get to someplace safe. I don't want to hear stories about you strapping a saddle to the roof of your house to ride out the storm. We would then have to label you a Redneck! ;)

And make sure u have UPS for those machines of yours... U dont want to get Ure settings blasted when the power goes... I wont be praying for U bc thats just not me but Ill spare a thought now and then and hope that Ure ok. :dog:

GL Bro..

The Interstate 10 bridge across Escambia Bay just opened both directions a couple of months ago. These brigdes are built using a system that allows the roadway to be fabricated off site then lifted onto the supports. Only a couple of the supports were damaged so they cut the tops off then poured new caps.

This same system was used in Louisiana to cross the swamps and marshes. They dig a canal down the middle and start construction from either end. The roadway goes up pretty quickly once the supports are in place.

We have a 6 mile bridge just a few hundred yards from the house that crosses the Pascagoula river, Singing river and the marsh between them.

Here's the link to the longest over water bridge in the world located in Louisiana. The Ponchatrain Causeway is built using the same technology as the rest of the Interstate bridges and above ground elevated sections.

http://www.engineeringsights.org/SightDeta...&page=1&image=0

Of all the natural disasters, I like the idea that hurricanes are slow moving so you have a chance to get out of the way.

yes, for those that listen to the wise man.

You guys in the forum might want to say a prayer for us Gulf Coast dwellers.

Looks like Hurricane Dennis is heading right for us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_a...1359.shtml?5day

Me and Cobia69 are only a few miles west of the Mississippi/Alabama state line.

Playah and a few others are right in the path of this monter also.

i'm going to be in panama city beach on sunday/monday, so i will be in the path of destruction too, heh. going on a youth camp trip. we aren't going to change our plans, so we just hope that everything turns out alright

i'll keep you all in my prayers though

Wow! Dennis is headed right into the area and according to the latest track Panama City Beach is just on the east or bad side of the track.

Unless it moves significantly east or west I have a sneaky feeling they are going to cancel your trip.

i'm going to be in panama city beach on sunday/monday, so i will be in the path of destruction too, heh. going on a youth camp trip. we aren't going to change our plans, so we just hope that everything turns out alright

i'll keep you all in my prayers though

Wow! Dennis is headed right into the area and according to the latest track Panama City Beach is just on the east or bad side of the track.

Unless it moves significantly east or west I have a sneaky feeling they are going to cancel your trip.

no, it wont be canceled. at worst postponed, or we will find some hotel to stay in on the way down until it clears up. we're a very determined group of people lol