Is This A Good Overclock?

MagnaX

Hi all,

This is my first post so I want to see if it'll be a good one or not.

I'm also new to overclocking. Let me know if this is a good overdrive or not.

First, my system:

Gigabyte GA-7ZXE MoBo (VIA KT133A chipset)

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C

1.5 GHz PC133 RAM (Kingston)

Ati (Sapphire) Radeon 7500 64MB DDR AGP

Antec 420W PSU

SLK-800 w/Tt SF 2 mounted

4 120mm system fans. (2 intake, 2 exhaust)

Now, my overclock experience. (I did a lot of reading before hand)

Because my MoBo is "older", it only allows up to PC133 RAM and the BIOS only let's you change the FSB. No voltages or anything.

I have my FSB set to 171. If I go to 172, the PC won't boot. Of course, the multiplier on the 1700 is stock at 11. (The chip is unlocked, but I can't change it via the BIOS). My Vcore is currently running at 1.64V.

My idle system temps are ~29-33C and at load they are ~33-35C

My idle CPU temps are ~30-32C and at load they are ~34-38C

My full overclock is 1.8GHz (11x171)

Is this good for this chip/system config?

Thanks!

well - for that mobo - its the best you can do without buying anything or messing around with pin config (on the CPU) so yeah I guess its good - if u really want to get into OCing though id upgrade your system to at least better ram and better mobo (the ASUS A7N8X has a lot of good features but epox is the best OCer)

I'm thinking about get an Abit KD7. I can pick one up for $35 shipped. Would that be a good board as an upgrade? I eventually would like to get an Epox 8RDA, but until then I have to settle with what I can afford. My friend has a 512 stick of (unknown brand) PC3700 RAM. Would that be a decent choice to upgrade to also?

It does not depends on speed of memory....It depends on brand. Some good names that are great are Mushkin, Corsair, and OCZ. The better the memory the more likely the better the OC. I found out the hard way about this. Don't get cheap memory. If you want to OC get the more expensive. You get what you pay for!

i would personally wait and get the epox board but you dont have to.....you have a very good overclock for the system you are running on...you see the system im on and i can barely hit 1.85 ghz without it freezing and now i cant even do that for some reason :( .

but like i said i would hold off and get the epox and not waste your money.

and :withstupid: the brands do count big time....i would rather have pc 2700 of a good brand like OCZ or Mushkin than a cheap 3700 stick....unless hes giving it too you then i wouldnt take it.

i almost forgot, welcome to the club man. :D

Edited by sYstEmATiC