NF4 UT SLI-DR and X2 4800 Temperature?

Hi, this is my first post on the forums here, just got my first DFI board which you can see in my signature below.

My main question is about what temperature should my CPU run at with my setup while at full load? I do a lot of folding, SETI, etc... so both of my cores see a lot of action, and so far I tend to see the tempearture run about 60°C if the ambient is cool, and if it gets up to about 80°F inside my house then I see the CPU temp go up to about 70°C. Now I know this is not considered a good temperature to be constantly running the CPU at, I am just wondering if this is normal, or is it possible my cooling is not running as efficiently as possible?

Also, it is not only my CPU which runs hot, but also my "system" according to NV monitor. I also use MBM5 and it shows that the CPU and PW/MIC are running hot, while the NF4 Chipset is stable at around 50-55 °C. I would have thought that "system" in the NV Monitor would refer to the chipset temperature, but that conflicts with what MBM5 is saying.

On a cool night I did overclock my CPU up to 240x11 for 2640 Mhz, and it ran stable through SuperPi, Prime95, and 3DMark 01, 03, and 05. I just cant leave it at this with such a high temperature hapening with it at stock clock.

Any advice?

Also, I have seen a "OCZ expert" suggesting ram settings for other people, any suggestions for my system? I used settings you suggested for somone running the same board and ram, but with a 3200 CPU I think. I still currently run those settings, only with the ram at base 200mhz instead of the 240 i had it overclocked at.

Thanks,

Maybe your temps sensors are off...

What does it read in the Bios?

It has been in the 90's and just going to the 80's this week here in Pittsburgh..

It's 81F in my house right now and my cpu temp is 36C and the System is 45C which is 96.8F and 113F

And I have the X2 4200+ with the Zalman cooler also..

nf3_bios10.jpg

need that in your sig too...5/10 or later bios for X2 cpu support

4800+ with a Zalman and proper thermal material applied should only run about 40°C - 45°C at idle (possibly a little lower or a little higher...really depends on a lot of factors, but that is the median temps on that cpu)

I have the 4400 X2 and MBM5 reads 33C idle and 41C load, haven't seen it go beyond 41C yet. 60C and 70C is way too high , I think thoser X2 are rated at 65C, check your heatsink, thermal paste, and like angry said maybe bios problem ? I had a problem with my mermory bandwidth running way below specs and the good fellas in this forum directed me to update the bios and everything has been so swet so far. BTW my bios is 623-3

At this time my CPU is 44°C at idle and seemed to top out at 66°C when I put it at full load. I have the most recent 6/23 bios installed and my memory runs fine at 200 mhz which is what it is at now, and even all the way up to 240 mhz, though I don't run it at that constantly.

Currently I just use the thermal "grease" which came with the Zalman cooler, should I be using something else?

What V Core should i be running, I think i have it at 1.45V right now.

At this time my CPU is 44°C at idle and seemed to top out at 66°C when I put it at full load. I have the most recent 6/23 bios installed and my memory runs fine at 200 mhz which is what it is at now, and even all the way up to 240 mhz, though I don't run it at that constantly.

Currently I just use the thermal "grease" which came with the Zalman cooler, should I be using something else?

What V Core should i be running, I think i have it at 1.45V right now.

I think your V core is a little high I have mine set this wayin bios:

CPU VID start up value 1.40V

CPU VID Control 1.3V

CPU VID Speciel contr above VID 104%

LDT Voltage control 1.30V

try those settings they may help your temps, I don't overclock so I'm happy with it that way.

Thanks xguy, I changed my voltage settings to what you mentioned and now my CPU runs at 50°C with both cores at full load, thats about 15° cooler than it was at 1.45V vcore.

I also ordered some Artic Silver 5, so ill see if that gives any boost also.

Thanks for the tips gents.

Thanks xguy, I changed my voltage settings to what you mentioned and now my CPU runs at 50°C with both cores at full load, thats about 15° cooler than it was at 1.45V vcore.

I also ordered some Artic Silver 5, so ill see if that gives any boost also.

Thanks for the tips gents.

I'm glad it worked for you :)