Zalman 7700CU and AMD64 x2

Just starting to build my new system.

BUT... the CPU die is twice as thick as a non x2...

I worry about trying to mount the Zalman, I suppose I could use the AMD supplied cooler until zalman responds....

Any Ideas?

i don't know about the main question, but the DFI ultra-D isn't supported by that cooler, according to zalman's website. i think it comes too close to the RAM to be considered safe. you can check the list here:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/770...0MBlist_eng.htm

the 7000 cooler is compatible since it's slightly smaller

I can't speak to X2 compatibility, but I have a 7700 CU installed on my ultra-d and it fits fine. It's very close to the back of my 6600GT, but still fits.

Thanks,

Mike

The Zalman 7700-Cu fits perfectly on the board. It's hard to install ram into slot 4 if you have already mounted the Zalman but it will still go in. Best to install slot 4 prior though. And the floppy power plug is a bit difficult to plug in if Zalman is already mounted. But all in all it fits pretty well for being such a big cooler, cools of the top of your video card very well and the ram too.

Plus I was getting 21C idle and 27C load on my previous board, though that has changed now that the fan doesn't run at low temps. PLus I can never hear the thing which is good.

Of course this is on a 3000+ winchester. As far as the x2 goes, what exactly is the problem? Are the mounting screws not deep enough? I know there are a few different screws for the zalman, but the long ones might be too long. Maybe there are some bolts you can scrounge up somewhere?

I have an X2 with the Zalman on it..

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU (model from newegg)

No problems with fitting, except if you ram has HIGH heat spreaders on it, put ram in first then put the cooler on.. but then again I have the lanparty sli-dr

I have Geil, Pny, Kingmax and Simpletech..

They all have heatspreaders on them, the Simpletech is the only one I had a problem with, the heatspreader and ram is taller than the others...