Sign in to follow this  
EazTerence

Power On w/ Keyboards..?

Guys..

I understand that DFI LP UT nF4 Ultra-D has this function..

Power On w/ Keyboard (Any Key/Password/Hot Key)

Seriously.. I cant seem to use this function at all.. Do I need to have any special thing to activate it? I actually only tried setting it to enble in BIOS, afterwhich I off my system.. Pressing any key hoping that it'll on.. Sounds stupid I noe.. But I'd like to use this function.. =)

Any helpers out there..?

You need to set the PS/2 Power Select Jumper to "On" pins 2-3. The Ps/2 keyboard will then have power supplied to it even when the pc is switched off. ie. it will be using the +5VSB rail instead of the default +5V rail.

Check the documention to find it's location - also make note of the fact you need greater than or equal to 720mA on the +5VSB. You should be fine with your psu but check it for the sake of it.

I fyou are using a USB keyboard, I never got it to work. I set the jumper fiddled with the BIOS settings, begged for help here and never got it. Seems it is impossible with a USB keyboard. Curiously, if I plug the USB keyboard into a PS/2 slot with a converter, it works fine.

Not that I have used it but I believe it is Power-On from Standby Mode.

This functionality allows one to wake the computer from an off state or standby mode.

The USB Power Select is split over two jumpers. One jumper for usb ports 1 - 6 and another jumper for ports 7 - 10. You'll want at least 2A on the +5VSB rail of your psu to be on the safe side when setting these jumpers.

I found that even with the jumpers set properly, it would not work with USB keyboards. I am still waiting for someone to (hopefully) prove me wrong.

If you have j17 on the 5 volt rail, you are likely best to leave this one alone. Take my psu, its rated at only 2amps on the 5vsb line. SOME issues - that got lumped into the "cold boot" bucket loom here (your psu may aleady be on the edge of a 5vsb overamp on initial power-on).

There is nothing in this warning that will harm equipment - it will just cause your psu to shut back down about as instantly as it come up.

EazTerence:

5V and 5VSB are two different things.

Not sure about the power on by password - haven't tried that myself. I just use the crtl-f1 hotkey.

blink182prj:

Haven't got a usb keyboard - bummer about it not working for you tho. Have you tried just plugging in the adapter only in the keyboard's ps/2 port - just so something is plugged in there? It shouldn't work of course because none of the pins in the adapter would actually be connected to anything - but you never know :)

Power on by by PS/2 works partialy for me.

It works ok when I try it after normal shutdown.

But, if I unplug and then plug in my PC it does not work (yet another "cold boot" problem :shake: )!! Why do they (DFI) insist on treating cold/"worm" boot differently when it is obvious it is a source of so many troubles!!! :confused: