Problems with DFI NF3 UT 250GB!

I finised my first DFI build, and I have a few concerns.

1. Nforce 3 chipset will not take my tv tuner card, love that card.

Its a Kworld tv tuner. I cannot even boot up if it is inserted in a pci slot, thats without any drivers installed.

2. Nforce ide drivers will not work with my maxtor sata drives. Will not even boot up with a new unformatted drive in any of the sata slots, if I am using the dfi drivers.

I uninstalled the dfi drivers and then my maxtor worked a few days, now it does not even show up under my computer, and it is causing unstable boots.

3. Had a hard time getting the usb ports to work at usb 2 levels, had to reinstall the usb 2 drivers a few times off of the cd, this is even after doing all the windows updates.

4. Will not reboot if I set the system in standbye.

5. Poor manuel, does not even explain the bios.

I am thinking about taking this board back. I have never had this many issues with a new build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew

Parts:

MB DFI UT NF3 250gb

cpu amd sempron 2800 1.6

Ram OCZ plat 3200rev 2

psu Mad dog 500watt

os Windows xp pro with all updates

CPU Fan Zalman 7000

Video card (weak link) ATI Radeon 9500 pro

I finised my first DFI build, and I have a few concerns.

1. Nforce 3 chipset will not take my tv tuner card, love that card.

Its a Kworld tv tuner. I cannot even boot up if it is inserted in a pci slot, thats without any drivers installed.

2. Nforce ide drivers will not work with my maxtor sata drives. Will not even boot up with a new unformatted drive in any of the sata slots, if I am using the dfi drivers.

I uninstalled the dfi drivers and then my maxtor worked a few days, now it does not even show up under my computer, and it is causing unstable boots.

3. Had a hard time getting the usb ports to work at usb 2 levels, had to reinstall the usb 2 drivers a few times off of the cd, this is even after doing all the windows updates.

4. Will not reboot if I set the system in standbye.

5. Poor manuel, does not even explain the bios.

I am thinking about taking this board back. I have never had this many issues with a new build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew

Parts:

MB DFI UT NF3 250gb

cpu amd sempron 2800 1.6

Ram OCZ plat 3200rev 2

psu Mad dog 500watt

os Windows xp pro with all updates

CPU Fan Zalman 7000

Video card (weak link) ATI Radeon 9500 pro

You may want to update to the latest official bios (05/04/05) and that may alleviate some of your issues with USB and hard drives. I haven't had any problems with my maxtor PATA drives using the nVidia IDE drivers.

Can't help with standby cuz I never use it on any of my systems, though a bios flash may help that as well.

Yes, the manual provided is piss poor, but the manual in PDF format included on the CD has a little more info.

I would start from scratch after flashing to the new bios and only install the storage controller during OS install if you are not running a RAID array. When you install the chip set drivers just deselect the IDE portion.

My 250gb has been very problem free aside from me doing stupid things to it..she always comes back for more...

Thanks guys.

I do have the newest bios.

Why would the ide drivers affect the sata drives? I don't know, but I read on another forum about a guy having the same problem and that seemed to help him.

Has anyone really acknowledged the problem with the nf3 chipset and Maxtor sata drives? It seems pretty common on the forums. I was hoping someone found or made a fix.

Yes, the kworld tv tuner crashes my system, Do you use a kworld card? I am using the XPERT TV- PVR 878 found here:

http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/PVR-878/PVR-878.html

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Matthew

Are you using a Sata drive?? you do not need sata drivers unless you are setting up a Raid arrey. The sata drive will work Alone with out the drivers on the Floppy supplied by DFI.

I have used prolink TV cards and ATI cards.

• 2 months later...

Any one have a clue? I took the maxtor out and put it in my old p3 and it works fine. I read another forum here where people indicated that the nf3 250ut has some known glitches. I am really frustrated with the reliability of this board.

When I oc I like the performance, but I do not care for the lack of stability even at low oc, and at stock speeds the board is nothing special.

Has dfi acknowledged a problem with this board yet?

Thanks

Without a sig listing your components, It's pretty tough for people to help.

What maxtor drive?

Using the search tool here, you can find a thread that has to do with the problems with some maxtor satas.

I'm using 2 80gb maxtor satas in raid with no issues, and also using a Leadtek tv tuner card on this board.