ocz or ballistics 2 x 1 gig

Guest azure_merged

Guest azure

I am either going to get the ocz platinum 3200 dual gig stick set or 2 ballistics 1 gig sticks. for about 100 more. I like the fact that bleedinedge is there for ocz ram with tech support. Does Ballistics have somewhere they have techs answer in a forum setting?

I want to match my oc, see sig. I will most likely order within the next week.

Does anyone have my MB with either ram sets?

Will the higher timings on the ballistics effect my performance? My hyper x has good timings..... (I have been running my oc 24/7 for months, very stable...)

Or should I just get the ballistics, and go for a higher oc?

BTW, thanks for all the folks here for making good recomendations, you have yet to lead me wrong. This forum is fantastic, if anyone reads this and is unsure about purchasing a DFI product, you will get your answers here. (I used to be a big abit fan, now it's dfi all the way.)

Guest burningrave101
I had the OCZ Plat Rev 2 PC3200 (still have actually).

I ran a 3200 newcie to 2.55GHz stable :D

All good.

Mine IS TCCD but I heard the TCC5 is pretty damn good too :D

OCZ PC3200 Platinum doesn't use TCCD/TCC5 chips, only the Rev 2 stuff. He's talking about 1GB sticks anyways, not 512MB.

I thought the OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2X1024 used Infineon chips and the Rev. 2 of this memory (in 512 Meg sticks) used TCCD/TCC5 chips?

Or, does the "Titanium" version (server memory) just use the Infineon chips?

Probably should PM AndyOCZ about this. ;-}

Charles

I thought the OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2X1024 used Infineon chips and the Rev. 2 of this memory (in 512 Meg sticks) used TCCD/TCC5 chips?

Or, does the "Titanium" version (server memory) just use the Infineon chips?

Probably should PM AndyOCZ about this. ;-}

Charles

You are correct...the 2x1024 platinum sticks use the infinieon chips, the 2x512 rev2 use the TCC5/TCCD. The titanium 2 x 1024 uses the same as the platinum, I believe.

If you are interested in the crucial sticks there is a crucial rep who hangs around called cruciallabs I believe....he has gotten the 2x1024 sticks to run at 250htt 3-4-4-8 timings. The best you can hope for outta the OCZ is 230ish, most only get to 220ish.

Guest burningrave101

Eclipse over at HardForum has one of the Crucial Value 1GB sticks in his DFI board and is running it a little over 250Mhz 1T 3-3-3. I'm probably going to order a couple of the sticks today because i want 2GB of RAM and i'm not going to pay over $360 for Ballistix considering you could never tell the different in performance. The Crucial Value use the same -5B D mircon chips as the 1GB Ballistix sticks and their only $105 a stick.

• 2 weeks later...

That is (one anyway) of the questions. Crucial claims there ballistix runs at 1T even with 2 sticks. OCZ will only run at 2T with 2 x 1024. In addittion the people claim (i will try to link the thread) speeds even higher (like 260-280) with the ballistix on NF4 ultra. I currently have the OCZ running real stable with a san diego at 12x234 but i have to use a divider to keep the memory close to 200.

mrZ

This might be the link mrZesty is looking for xtremesystems.org

And I wouldn't loose any sleep about running 2T at all, unless you are building a benchmarking rig. Check out this thread. In real world performance, 1T vs 2T goes right up there with the great CAS importance myth. (And also dual channel memory in my book)

memory bandwidth is pretty useless since the memory controller is integrated

timings are pretty useless since the memory controller is integrated

1T and 2T are pretty useless since the memory controller is integrated

memory divider hating is useless since the memory controller is integrated

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nothing you could possibly ever notice without a benchmark. What you will notice is programs that eat memory like Photoshop and Battlefield2 will respond a hell of a lot better with 2GB of memory @ 2.5-3-7-3, 2T than they will with 1GB @ 2-2-5-2, 1T