Female, new to PC building seeks help

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Joalaielna

Buncha of guys wanting to help the lady, alot of the dudes, dont get this much help :)

this is untrue...the rated speeds of the modules don't mean much other than what they were binned to run at specific timings.

the problem is trying to run mismatched SPD modules (ie a 1GB kit with 2-2-5-2 will not work with a 1GB kit with 2.5-3-8-3 etc)

Ah, see, I started building systems back in the days when you had to install memory in groups of four. I can say from experience that those parts are sometimes binned lower for a reason.

Now, when did they make it so that your system could run with different sticks of memory working at different rates? o.0

you are powering all that with a thermaltake 480watt power supply?
Thermaltake Silent PUREPOWER 480Watt Power Supply
This is a really bad idea!

I recommend a truly good PSU considering what you have invested.

The PC P&C 850W SSI ($469) would be my top choice,

the PC P&C 510 Express/SLI ($219) would be my second choice.

At the very least get the Antec True Power II 550W ($89).

PSU Guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Please don't trust all of that to a TT PSU.

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

again, using mismatched sticks with different SPD's is going to cause your rig to only see 1GB of memory (i've tested this about 7 times lately since BF2 came out)

the only reason my 1GB kit of OCZ BH-5 and 1GB kit of VX4000 work together is they both have the same SPD timings by default

I have a problem and I am hoping for some expert help.

I have 2 gigs of memory, 2 x 512 kingston hyper-x cas 3 ddr500 and 2 x 512 pny ddr433 cas 2.5

I am running an AMD FX-55 @ 2.9GHz stable on a DFI LP NF4-D ( non ultra )

my problem is, I can only run the kingston hyper-x in slots 3 and 4 ...

What settings do I need to change in order to run all 4 sticks?

All slots filled with memory I get beeping, one combination, it started to book but screen went black.

Kristina

your one powerful female... with an FX-55 AMD. :drool:

• 2 weeks later...
again, using mismatched sticks with different SPD's is going to cause your rig to only see 1GB of memory (i've tested this about 7 times lately since BF2 came out)

the only reason my 1GB kit of OCZ BH-5 and 1GB kit of VX4000 work together is they both have the same SPD timings by default

Wait, so even if both module types are rated the same and will run the same timings without issue, the SPD data causes them to not work together (The KHX is set to CAS2, the OCZ to CAS2.5 acording to CPU-Z)?

I'm also trying to get 4x512 working (I know a BIOS flash is in my near future since I'm still running 331-1) with 2x512 of KHX3200 (full part number KHX3200K2/1G), and 2x512 of OCZ PC3200 Gold EL (full part number OCZ4001024ELDC-K).

Currently I can boot with all 4 sticks installed (KHX in orange slots, OCZ in yellow) with CPC disabled at my normal timings (200 MHZ, 2-2-2-6*2.8 vdimm) and get into Windows, but the BIOS and Windows only report 1GB. CPU-Z shows 2GB of RAM. (Note, if I try KHX in yellow and OCZ in orange I cannot load windows (lsass.exe craps out on me) but the BIOS still reports 1GB. From what I know about my bios (331-1) it uses the 310 tables for memory timings and in those tables the yellow slots are less desireable. So this would seem to imply that the OCZ ram is fairly strong? (Note, I can hit 250MHZ with 2-2-2-6 @3.3vdimm on the kingston).

As an added bonus, I'm running this on a Winchester core 3000+

At any rate, I think I've rambled on for long enough about this, returning to the root of the question, is it the SPD data that's causing this problem, or something else?

edit:

Just a thought, but perhaps changing the topic of this thread might be useful.

Guys & gals I need to step in and say something, even if I am not the mod of this forum:

Gender or race should not make any difference (and don't to me) as to what type of support a person is given. Comments as I have seen would have had your post deleted and a warning sent. Period. Now let's get back on to assisting this member, and all people who have questions, and keep the comments pertaining to gender out of the equation.

SixFootDuo (aka, Kristina): Have you tried any of the BIOS flash suggestions given? If not, let us know how we might be able to assist you in accomplishing the BIOS flash which may elleviate some of your issues.

If you have a floppy drive and a clean, error free floppy, I can provide you with an automated image of the BIOS Angry_Games suggested. Let me know if this would be of assistance of lessening your BIOS flashing fears.