Female, new to PC building seeks help

I have a problem and I am hoping for some expert help.

I have 2 gigs of memory, 2 x 512 kingston hyper-x cas 3 ddr500 and 2 x 512 pny ddr433 cas 2.5

I am running an AMD FX-55 @ 2.9GHz stable on a DFI LP NF4-D ( non ultra )

my problem is, I can only run the kingston hyper-x in slots 3 and 4 ...

What settings do I need to change in order to run all 4 sticks?

All slots filled with memory I get beeping, one combination, it started to book but screen went black.

Kristina

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you need to use the bios based on 316 I think it is, that allows you to use all slots properly. It is the one AG and Rgone like to use.

Please note that if you fill all slots on your board you will need to run the command rate (CPC at 2T) to have any kind of stability.

It's not wise to mix brands though. You may have no end of issues simply because one set likes settings the other doesn't.

if you get 3 beeps that is memory error. It may be that you have not pushed the memory right into the slots.

I've tried to read as much as possible on firmware, bios flashing, etc as I need to educate myself but I am still a little hazy on where to get, say the 316 you mentioned for my non-ultra DFI LP NF4-D and exactly what steps I need to take to safely flash my bios on my motherboard.

Anyone want to advise me, hold my hand doing this. This is my second computer I've built. First one was an Asus and i was able to use the suppled software to upgrade my firmware / bios.

Kristina

you can find 316 on the overclocking forum of this site in the bios factory section.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6369

All you do is copy the bios file to a dos boot disk along with the awardflash executible.

You however may find it easier to use winflash which will allow you to flash the bios inside windows. I have used it successfully several times.

You should not NEED to use this bios though. All slots should work with whatever bios you have.

I would make sure your CPC (command per clock) is set to 2T in the memory configuaration in the bios. Make sure both sticks are firmly in the slots and paired across slots as mentioned.

1 set in 1 and 3 the other set in 2 and 4.

I would also start with relaxed timings 3,4,4,8. As one set of your sticks is only rated for cas 3.

I've tried to read as much as possible on firmware, bios flashing, etc as I need to educate myself but I am still a little hazy on where to get, say the 316 you mentioned for my non-ultra DFI LP NF4-D and exactly what steps I need to take to safely flash my bios on my motherboard.

Anyone want to advise me, hold my hand doing this. This is my second computer I've built. First one was an Asus and i was able to use the suppled software to upgrade my firmware / bios.

Kristina

you can use a bootable cd for flashing. click the link in my sig for download. instructions are located there too and onscreen when you boot the cd. alwyas load optimised/fail-safe defaults b4 and after a flash.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

mixing modules, especially modules with different IC's on the module is a bad idea. You won't be able to run 4x512 at anything but 2T, even on the new San Diego/FX/X2 based on these cores (i've tried it myself with the San Diego 4000, Clawhammer FX-55, and San Diego FX-55)

Ok, back and Sig created.

I changed the CPC to disable, memory came up showing 2T this time, All 4 sticks in, no beeps, BUT ........ sadly, only 1 gig of memory is showing. And memory is matched up, 1 ~ 3 and 2 ~ 4

Running memory at 2.8 volts, CPC = disable

Not sure what steps to take next. Anyone?

A bios flash would be my last option as I am quite honestly ... scared.

Wow, how much did that cost? You know, having 2gb of memory is actually slower if you don't use it, and same idea goes for the hard drive space.