uhh --- videocards and RMA's.... =/

ok last night i re-assembled my computer, as i had to reapply thermal grease ect ect. after i apply the thermal grease i put my motherboard back in my case, screw it in... ect ect. i was quite stupid to do this, but i had a metal grill to protect the fins of my CPU fan, so no wires would get ground up without my notice. i was impatient, it was 12 AM, i was ALL finished with my computer putting it back together, then i couldnt get the door on because of the grill. so i removed the grill and under that was my Gforce 6800GT graphics card... eVGA. When i unscrewed the grill, it slipt out of my hands and i heard a spark :sad: i lookup at my monitor and the graphics are all distorted. is there any way i can RMA this to newegg, idk some ideas of like excuses. eg "i plugged in my graphics card and when i turned it on, the graphics were all distorted and i heard a spark in my case"

i dont know, i need some excuse that they will go for, so my dad doesnt have to spend another 200 dollars on my computer.

i luckily have myslef a PCI regular graphics card, so i quickly plugged that in as i was moaning why didnt i turn off the computer... but once i plugged in my old PCI graphics card things scemed to go normal. i am not sure if anything else is killed from this (i hope nothing is)... but please help me out. has anyone else accidentally sparked out their videocard? i need to know. and if you did, what situation did you do? did you RMA or just buy a new one.. i dont know, i just need feedback.

people who have accidentally shorteed out their GFX cards , what did you do?

:sad: :sad: :(

Tom

let me get this straight, you shorted out the video card and now want the manufactuer to replace it because your an idiot?

Chalk it up to life experiences. NEVER work on your computer when its plugged in, for this reason

get out the visa and move on

One time I had put my PC back together and forgot to plug in the 6600gt,I tried to plug it in while it was on,you can guess what happened,sparks flew and the screen turned black.

I started kickin myself and desperately prayin,turned it off and pluged in the GPU,it miraculously was still working,Hooray!!

I did learn a good lesson,I hope.

One time I had put my PC back together and forgot to plug in the 6600gt,I tried to plug it in while it was on,you can guess what happened,sparks flew and the screen turned black.

I started kickin myself and desperately prayin,turned it off and pluged in the GPU,it miraculously was still working,Hooray!!

I did learn a good lesson,I hope.

well your damn luckey playah... mine with sparks and the thing is shot... now my dad refuses to let me buy a new one =[... this so sucks. :sad:

Just say it died and RMA it.

Its one thing to modify gfx and kill it that way and sent it to RMA.

But this was just very bad luck and i guess you learned something.

Luck had nothing to do with it.

Impatience and inexperience...two things vendors and manufacturers (and ultimately, the rest of us) should not have to pay for.

Save your allowance or get a job, and buy a new card when you can.

oh yeah, if one of the DFI Techs can take a look in this post... i want to know i didnt short anything out on the board... ehh someone please help me out on that question.

Tom

any costs? uhh i just want to have my computer up and running as soon as possible. =

so far i know it works to some extent ( i havent really found CLEAR problems with it)... it boots up normal. i tried my older PCI graphics card just for the sake of board working and it did. ide prefer to keep it so i dont have to wait ect ect =... but thats me =]

eh if it burns out ill bug my dad to buy me a new one :)

Tom =X!