Sign in to follow this  

I am looking to buy memory for my new system. It's an Athlon64 X2 system. My question is, if I am not going to overclock, should I buy DDR400, since it has the lowest latencies? If I buy faster memory, will it run at the faster speeds automatically, without me overclocking? If not, is it anything more than setting the speed in the BIOS or do I have to mess with the reference clock and everything else, too? Thank you very much.

if your not going to overclock get pc3200 ddr400 with timings of 2-2-2-5... pc4000 will not make your system run faster, it just allows you to overclock it. :D

I am looking to buy memory for my new system. It's an Athlon64 X2 system. My question is, if I am not going to overclock, should I buy DDR400, since it has the lowest latencies? If I buy faster memory, will it run at the faster speeds automatically, without me overclocking? If not, is it anything more than setting the speed in the BIOS or do I have to mess with the reference clock and everything else, too? Thank you very much.

Heh, faster memory will never automatically overclock your system. If you aren't going to overclock, you should have shot for a different motherboard for one. For memory, however, if leaving at 200mhz just grab some well-priced stuff with a CAS timing of 2. Take a look at the stickied thread by Angry Games for OCZ Gold - VERY good deal.