NF4 Ultra-D> freezes in games

Started having this problem a few weeks ago.

At first, games would occasionally stutter (picture freezes, keyboard and mouse don't respond, sound loops for a couple of seconds) and then commence normally.

Lately, the PC freezes completely and I have to hit the reset button to reboot it.

I can't make out any pattern at all, except that it seems to be more likely to happen the longer the PC has been running and that it only happens in games.

W40k: Dawn of War, Counter-Strike: Source, Warcraft 3, GTA:SA are some examples of the games that froze my PC.

Sometimes it happens when the game just started up, sometimes the game freezes after an hour.

I updated the sound drivers with the latest package on the realtek site (WDM_A373a) and I went through half a dozen gfx drivers (71.89 over 77.62 to 80.40, tried regular Nvidia and XG modded versions of most of them).

My specs are in my sig, please ask away if there's any info I didn't mention that would help fix this.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double check GPU Fan and the contact of the Cooler with the Core. Try PCMark03 and monitor your GPU temps to make sure its not over heating.

Check to make sure Card is seated all the way.

Onboard Audio? or Aftermarket Card? Possible driver issues or Game patches required?

!!! Warning Off Topic !!!

BTW how does the VF700 fit your 6600? I think I want one

Thanks

Double check GPU Fan and the contact of the Cooler with the Core. Try PCMark03 and monitor your GPU temps to make sure its not over heating.

Check to make sure Card is seated all the way.

Onboard Audio? or Aftermarket Card? Possible driver issues or Game patches required?

!!! Warning Off Topic !!!

BTW how does the VF700 fit your 6600? I think I want one

Thanks

GPU fan should be ok, temperatures are stable in the mid 60's (ran games and monitored temps with Rivatuner). The Zalman fits perfectly and is absolutely not audible in silent mode (temp difference between silent and normal was 1°C idle and less than 5° under load).

Using the onboard karajan audio.

The games are all patched (well except the ones that don't have any patches - GTA:SA). Don't know about driver issues, but I went through a lot of different gfx drivers.

try two things. disable fastwrites and use PCI Latency Tool 2.3 to set your card latency to 64. use em individually and see what you get. if you can just use the PCI Latency Tool option then great. if you have to disable fastwrites you should still use the Tool to lower you latency. smoothed games out for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Can't anybody help me?

I replaced the PSU, I reinstalled Windows twice, problem not solved.

I increased DDR voltage and CPU voltage and I replaced the RAM with brand new OCZ DIMMs.

I ran Prime95 and Memtest86 as well as rthdribl to test CPU/RAM/GFX card.

The system runs fine for a day or two and then it suddenly freezes in a game and I'm getting really desperate now.

If there is any info I forgot to give, please ask and I will fill it in.

I've also got two new problems since I reinstalled Windows, my (powerhungry) Diamondback mouse will not get powered up when the system loads Windows (I have it in a powered USB 2 hub now to fix this) and when I shut the PC down, it will not power off. Windows shuts down and the monitor goes into standby mode but the PC will not shut off.

Event viewer gives me this message multiple times every time the PC boots up (I assume it's normal?) http://mail.ocrana.com/member/bnf/pics/nvatabus.jpg but it has nothing to say at the time of a freeze. There's no memory dump either.

Mid 60s for GPU temps? That's not all that great with that cooler. You probably need better airflow to that heatsink.

If your card is overclocked (some are by default) you should consider underclocking it and see if the problem goes away. This has happened to me if my GPU core or memory are clocked too high, although it only stutters the sound and freezes my game and does not crash my Windows.

It is not overclocked (I played with overclocking but it didn't go up much so I left it at default) and I recently put another 80mm fan into the case that blows towards the gfx card.

Anyway, I don't really think it's gfx overheating since the temp is still 10°C lower than it was with the stock cooler, the maximum temp while running rthdribl is 72°C while the warning temperature listed in the driver panel is more than twice that much and the games sometimes freeze right after a few seconds (not even enough time for the card to heat up...).

I also don't have any stutters at all, the PC runs perfectly until it freezes totally.

Started having this problem a few weeks ago.

At first, games would occasionally stutter (picture freezes, keyboard and mouse don't respond, sound loops for a couple of seconds) and then commence normally.

Lately, the PC freezes completely and I have to hit the reset button to reboot it.

I can't make out any pattern at all, except that it seems to be more likely to happen the longer the PC has been running and that it only happens in games.

W40k: Dawn of War, Counter-Strike: Source, Warcraft 3, GTA:SA are some examples of the games that froze my PC.

Sometimes it happens when the game just started up, sometimes the game freezes after an hour.

I updated the sound drivers with the latest package on the realtek site (WDM_A373a) and I went through half a dozen gfx drivers (71.89 over 77.62 to 80.40, tried regular Nvidia and XG modded versions of most of them).

My specs are in my sig, please ask away if there's any info I didn't mention that would help fix this.

Hi I get the same thing such a pain not to sure myself what it is???

try two things. disable fastwrites and use PCI Latency Tool 2.3 to set your card latency to 64. use em individually and see what you get. if you can just use the PCI Latency Tool option then great. if you have to disable fastwrites you should still use the Tool to lower you latency. smoothed games out for me.

Fastwrites what is that????

And whats this Latency tool.

Sorry to butt in but god i get it all the time.

Fastwrites what is that????

And whats this Latency tool.

Sorry to butt in but god i get it all the time.

Fastwrites only apply to AGP boards, the option does not seem to exist for PCI-E.

And that latency tool did nothing for me.

I'm having the same problem as well as a few other people I know witrh the NF4 Ultra-D board

I've tried almost everything with no success - really considering going to Abit. I'm not a very happy DFI customer at this stage.

I had random hangs and booting problems until I uninstalled the ATA IDE SW driver from the nForce 6.66 release and used the default WinXP SP supplied driver. Might be worth a try, I've been running for two weeks without any problems, even overclocking now. Guess I need to change my sig.

Might give it try, what have you got to lose?