NF4 Ultra-D> freezes in games

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran Prime95 and Memtest86 as well as rthdribl to test CPU/RAM/GFX card.

Did you get ANY errors with Prime or memtest86?

Event viewer gives me this message multiple times every time the PC boots up (I assume it's normal?)

That file is the driver that controls the PATA and SATA drives in your computer. I've never seen this problem with the 6.66 drivers and I'm running them on multiple computers, I assume that 1 of the following could be the case:

#1 your install files became corrupted due to previous drivers being bad and corrupting hard drive data.

#2 your RAM is bad, which caused your drivers to become damaged during installation.

#3 your computer just doesn't like the hard drive controller drivers, perhaps due to the extra features being enabled on some drive that doesn't like to go fast.

#4 Windows2000 doesnt like the hard drive controller drivers (I've had problems with the 6.53s on 2000, it makes me hate 2000 even more).

You said you didn't install the IDE driver after reformatting, so I assume that you aren't getting the event viewer message anymore. If Windows is still screwing up with the ultra-crappy standard IDE drivers, then it must be a hardware issue cause those drivers are as basic and feature-lacking as they come, they should never create problems.

Did you get ANY errors with Prime or memtest86?

No. How long should you run them until you can be sure there are no errors?

You said you didn't install the IDE driver after reformatting, so I assume that you aren't getting the event viewer message anymore. If Windows is still screwing up with the ultra-crappy standard IDE drivers, then it must be a hardware issue cause those drivers are as basic and feature-lacking as they come, they should never create problems.

No, the driver is installed again. I had no other choice, Windows wouldn't find my SATA drive without the driver floppy and then it automatically used the driver for both SATA and ATA.

I did remove the driver and replaced it with the Windows default driver on the installation I had before I formatted, the error in the event viewer went away but the freezes did not. Removing the ATA tree and installing the Windows driver instead was problem free, but when I replaced the SATA driver listed under the SATA bus with the Windows default driver, after rebooting I got a file system corrupted message on three of my SATA partitions (2 on 1 drive, 1 on another drive) and I basically lost everything on those partitions.

Right now, I get that device identified message seven times right after booting the system.

I'm actually considering installing a fresh Windows on an IDE hdd, to keep these Nvidia SATA/ATA drivers completely off my system from the start :(

Will a fully patched Windows 2000 SP4 recognize SATA hdds without the need for Nvidia drivers if I plug them in once the system is up and running?

The link in my signature explains how to do the installation without drivers, I've done it a million times, even a few times on Windows2000 without any problems. Windows should not need the extra drivers loaded in order to see your hard drive. If you are using the nVidia drivers while installing Windows, they could be corrupting the OS installation since they give you problems every time you use them, so waiting til the OS is installed to change to the crappy standard IDE drivers will probably not do much. Another thing to check would be your HTT link to the NF4, if it is set too high (anything above 1000), all of your hard drive access will return corrupted data.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this same problem and I've gone through every suggested fix on the graphics end, including drivers, BIOS settings, reseating the card, severely underclocking, and monitoring temps. Nothing has helped.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the onboard karajan sound on the mobo? I'm using it as well...is it possible that the problem is there instead of with the graphics?

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new gfx card and finally did that fresh install, with an IDE disk as the OS drive as well. Updated my bios too.

Just got my first freeze playing Battlefield 2.

That's not the only problem I have now though, I also get audio stuttering when playing MP3s or MPEGs.

Tried Realtek and Nvidia audio drivers.

Any new ideas?