Who here would like to see an Nforce4 Ultra m-ATX board?

293 members have voted

1. 1.

• Hell yeah I would!!!
    • No, I'm not into SFF, I believe bigger is better
    • I like lugging my 50lb PC to LAN parties. It's the only workout I get as a geek.

Hello,

The problems with mATX,

- Small case = poor air flow - big heatsinks wont fit.

- mATX PSUs are expensive and to weak.

So what gamer/OCer wants heat problems, power problems and no overclocking.

I suppose if you wait long enough (years) everything will be smaller + liquid metal cooling.

:)

I've got all those problems take care of:

http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-qpack-case-silver.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=2569

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817104934

All I need is another 100 or so votes for 'Hell yeah I would" so DFI will take notice of the demand for the motherboard.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to build an mATX or SFF with a Toledo 4400 X2 in it to replace my P4 Shuttle SB65G2 toaster oven. I'd prefer the mobo to be a DFI but I'll take the first one that has the nF4 Ultra features and overclocks well. That means vcore, vdimm, frequency adjustments, etc much like DFI & nVidia give us in the platform. I like the Shuttle SN25P but it only has one PCIex1 card after the 16x graphics slot. I'd like at least a couple more PCI slots for such things as i-RAM drives but not a huge ATX mid tower size to lug around. I've got three months before I'm funded for the project so hopefully things like component availability will jell by then.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showd...spx?i=2464&p=10

With more and more people interested in smaller computers, motherboard manufacturers are going to continue to come up with new and improved micro ATX layouts that offer just as much power as their full-sized counterparts. Also, with so many devices getting put onto either the motherboard itself or into external devices rather than expansion cards, many users simply don't need as many expansion slots as they used to in order to get the same amount of functionality out of their PC.

mATX is small form factor, which means it goes in a cramped case, which restricts airflow, which lowers cooling preformance, which raises temps to dangerious levels considering this is an overclocking board and will push temps through the roof when you do so. i would rather have fullsize ATX, ive had my fair share of problems with mATX.

Temps are getting better through better silicon and case design. Look at how well Shuttles P case is cooling. That Aspire case that was linked is a big step in the right direction with its 120mm fan and room for high-end air CPU coolers. It even has the windows and lights to fit in with the LAN party scene.

Some guys like that huge ATX or even a server tower cube on dolly wheels beside them with all the UV reactance, CC tubes, LEDs, etc lighting up the room. Hey nothing wrong with that either.

There's plenty of room for both styles in todays enthusiast market.

There is definitely money to be made in this area... I'm all for the idea and would buy one the day it came out.

I'm a case modder, but I also want the TOP END components in my systems. I see people make really awesome looking cases, but only have a P3 inside or whatever. I want to be able to have an NF4 Ultra chipset mobo, and put it in something ridiculously small and cool. Something you can't do with an ATX case. For example, I saw a Humvee mod was pretty cool. Imagine showing up to a LAN party, having the baddest butt looking modded case (that is very protable because of it's size), AS WELL AS using that case to play the latest games with all the eye candy way up. I just think it gives you more options.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed DFI about a mATX motherboard and here is the response...it kinda differs from what that angry guy was saying...

--------------------------

Dear Sirs,

Many thanks for your email and glad to hear that you are satisfied with DFI.

Yes, we wil have mATX socket 939 and the available time should be end of Q3.

Just for your reference.

Best regards,

Greta Kuo

Sales Manager

Tel: 886-2-26942986 ext. 659

Fax: 886-2-26943221

MSN: [email protected]

www.dfi.com

Design For Innovation

---------------------------------