Folding for DIY-Street - Team: DIY-Street - Team #45454 (disease)

RedDem0n

298 members have voted

1. 1.

• Aliens
    • Disease
    • because Angry has a straight-flush and you only got 2 pair
    • other (please post...I don't know what else to fold for besides aliens/disease)

dont go preachin to someone now

i smoke but i dont advocate smoking but i dang sure dont want to hear another adult telling me (who is an adult also) to do this or that...we smokers know its not healthy...but we choose to do it anyway...just like some of your habits are probably not healthy (everyone has some unhealthy habits...no one is immune!).

live your life like you want to live...you know the consequences...I know i could end up on an oxygen tank one day...but I accept this risk.

AG is absolutely right on. @ Vector: I apologize to you if it sounded like I was preaching. I certainly didn't mean to. I cannot justify my comment in any way outside of that I didn't mean it to be "preaching" rather concerned as a friend. You absolutely have the right to live your life the way you see fit and what's more, I respect your decision.

Perhaps it's becasue I lost both parents to the nasty disease at a VERY early age that I said what I said.

I was once a smoker too, and what's more was that I felt if smoking ended my life earlier, then so be it, because it was my decision.

Again, please disregard my original comment, and accept my humble apology.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries on the smoking tip... Honestly voiceing your opinion on smoking is not an insult at all, and i understand A.G's point of not wanting to hear it from another peer..

But we all know that smoking is harmful and frikkin stupid to say the least. I appreciate the fact that people care. And if some one honestly cares enough to try and better you (me) as a person them im all in, regardless of whether or not i agree with ones opinion if we all tried to help each other out a little more with the betterment of the human race, are children in the future will live better then we ever did, and isnt that what its all about anyways :)

Cigerettes are just like beer and coffee, they are adictive. Cigerettes: People who smoke them

say they're bad but won't stop smoking them regardless(My Grandma) They make them adictive so people will keep buying them and buying them and then think this is bad, and start buying those patches . Beer: How could anyone drink that crap? Because they are adicted. One time I had a taste of beer and man it was nasty! Coffee: Adictive stuff that adicted people have to drink in the morning or they will have a headache(My mom atleast) and drink it to "wake up".

AG, I just lost a whole lot of respect for you.....:(

you cannot compare smoking to other bad habits. Saying you accept the risk is just plain stupid. "Hi I smoke just because and I know It's gonna kill me!! :)"

Now what I dont understand is with the plathora of ways to stop smoking you guys go on.

Just go out the the nearest groccery and buy the damn patches and you'll be off the little basterds in no time.

Not need to go on preaching.........:(

It's a little harder then just sticking a patch on my friend. If your not a smoker you would have absolutly no idea what it takes and if you where a smoker and quit then more power to you... Quiting is alot like ram, just because we both have the same dimms doesnt mean we will get the same performance, all ram acts differently to volts and timings regardless if there the same... So if one thing works for you it doesnt always work for me... :shake:

the longer you smoke the harder it is to quit, learned this from my mom, smoked since 16yrs and tryed EVERYTHING to no avil up until the point she passed. my gramps though was struck by this and somehow quit cold turky after 64 years of smoking. now it smells better here, he has a better attitude, its just better. BTW if its any help he eats hard candy when he gets an urge, kinda like cream savers or jollyranchers :)

sorry AG if I seemed disrepectful and VERY pissed, but think about it. You are paying money to a corporation to basically sell you poisen.

I realize it is hard to quit and I wish you the best of luck :)

Think of all the CPUs you could buy with the money saved from cigarettes :shake: :shake:

sorry AG if I seemed disrepectful and VERY pissed, but think about it. You are paying money to a corporation to basically sell you poisen.

I realize it is hard to quit and I wish you the best of luck :)

Think of all the CPUs you could buy with the money saved from cigarettes :shake: :shake:

Give it up. This comes from an ex smoker- again 5 months or so this time. I was much happier smoking no question about it. Yea it kills I have taken care of hundreds of people with lung hart vascular stomach throat and other problems over the last 5 years because of smoking. I just wish someone would come up with a less deadly form of cigarette.

Zyban works for some (welbutrin) The patches by themselves dont seem to help unless you replace the behavior with something else.

all right all right

i didnt mean to make cpuz feel bad

and certainly didn't want anyone to feel upset because I voiced that what you do with your own body is a choice.

so I'll put it to you this way and see if it is more tolerable.

i started smoking way back. I was a 2+ pack a day smoker for a long time. I've quit here and there but I end up going back to it.

Anyone and everyone that knows me knows that I threaten the lives of little kids or even teenagers by saying things like 'if i ever catch you smoking I'll kick the . out of you' etc etc.

I don't think it is a habit that anyone should take up.

HOWEVER

I AM an adult. I AM able to make my own choices. I DO NOT need to hear how bad smoking is from anyone because I DO know that it is bad.

I DO know people who have had all kinds of problems (including death) from smoking. A LOT of them wished they'd never started. A LOT of them wished they would have quit some time. But a LOT of them also said it was just one thing and they'd done lots of other bad things to their bodies or minds all through their life, and even SOME claimed it was one of their little habits that possibly brought a little pleasure to them no matter how bad it was.

who am I to judge someone else's life and more importantly who am I to disrespect someone else's choice if that is what they choose to do and it doesn't hurt anyone (and please, lets not count grief over someone's death as hurting them because everyone dies at some point...killing someone else with your habit is an entirely different monster and I ain't real down with bringing others to hell with me or because of me).

but also keep in mind I am a different sort of smoker.

I NEVER smoke in the house.

I NEVER smoke in any enclosed areas (even when other smokers are around)

I am ALWAYS conscious of my smoking around others and I ALWAYS do it outside away from others.

I almost never smoke in the car (once in a blue moon these days). I NEVER smoke at someone else's house...and if they are smokers i STILL go outside. Even when it annoys the hell out of them.

I hate chumps that just light up in a car or a bar and blow it my way, etc. I consider them disrespectful just like I am sure you all do.

I don't encourage it, glorify it, recommend it, preach it, nor do I want to see others begin the habit.

what does this mean?

it means I know that smoking is bad. it also means I know that smoking around others and forcing them to deal with it is bad. it means that I do my own thing by my own choice and I elect not to subject anyone else to it.

I know its a bad habit. You know its a bad habit. I'm only hurting myself and I choose to because again, I am mature adult that knows the pro's (hah like there are any) and the con's (everything) and I still choose to do it.

Not a single one of you here can claim to me that there isn't some little (or big) thing in your life that you do that isn't harmful in some way and you KNOW it, yet you do it anyway (sniffing glue, driving after having a drink, adding rocks to the aluminum cans then crushing them so they weigh more at the recycler...it doesn't really matter what it is...every one of us has some bad habit, almost all have more than one).

To hear someone tell me that my smoking is bad...to me it is like some religious person telling me I am going to hell, or some conservative right wing republican telling me I am a liberal moron, or any number of things that are pretty damn obvious (i'm half jewish and i've got a big jew nose...how much do I like hearing people announce that fact to me, like I have no clue I am jewish and I've never actually seen my big jew nose in the mirror many times a day?).

why should someone be able to tell me something so plainly obvious and on top of that make some blanket judgement about the type of person they think I am based on a single statement? Am I unable to preach a little tolerance or respect of other's ways of life?

if you are homosexual would you like me to constantly harp that it is bad and list all of the bad things that can happen to you or maybe even what the bible supposedly says is bad about it and tell you what God does to homosexuals?

if you are heterosexual and unmarried and have a child would you like to hear my opinion about how that is bad?

if you smoke pot or drink and get wasted do you want to hear about how bad that is from my perspective?

and hear how bad I might think it is and judge you based on the choices you made in life without even knowing much about you?

who am I to tell you your habits are bad? I don't live with you. Even if i did, and you had bad habits but they didn't involve me in any way what good would it be to tell you about your bad habits?

You know they are bad. You know you should maybe not do them. You know also that you are the one that will decide in the end to quit your bad habit or keep on it for a while longer.

If you guys were my girlfriend or mom or brother then I might not spout such a long speech about it, I would expect it...but then again my girlfriend and my brother (and my late mother) all knew that I smoked and they only said something once or twice and I let them know 'I know its a bad habit. I choose to do it. I don't involve you in it. Please respect that'.

Nowhere in my post did I advocate for smoking. Nowhere did I pass it off as cool or the 'in' thing. Nowhere did I do anything but remind cpuz that we are adults, and we make our own choices, and that should be respected and not harped on.

I know cpuz didn't mean anything ugly by his simple post. I know it is probably something he says to all sorts of people about all sorts of habits all the time. I know this because I know people in general have this habit of announcing something so obvious to others that it doesn't even need to be said.

All the time I hear about tolerance being preached (not really here so much as life in general) and yet no one still has any tolerance for others or what they do.

If i blow smoke in your asthmatic daughter's face and then drop my cig on your carpet and stub it out...thats pretty bad.

If i go outside on the back porch of my own home and light up in my little outdoor smoking area because I am stressed the hell out about my job or just to enjoy the little pleasure I get out of it, then how is that bad? (and who are you to tell me it is bad like it is actually going to be some revelation and I am going to just quit doing it right then and there?)

And how is it bad that I alerted cpuz (and i guess the rest of you who don't agree) that Mr VectorTensor probably already knows it is bad and doesn't really need to told because honestly, it looks pretty preachy, and it is something that I am sure VectorTensor hears all the time and doesn't need to be told his habit is bad and he should be stopped while he is on these forums?

It is insane that we make such a habit of going around telling others what is bad for them or what they should do or how we would do it differently and we think we are always right.

I preach the one thing I know to you guys...I know my DFI motherboards and I know what works with them as well as in them.

I don't tell you that drinking too much is bad and your liver will curl up and die. I don't tell you that eating whole sticks of butter is disgusting and will clog your heart up. I don't tell you that gambling can be harmful and you shouldn't do it.

orry AG if I seemed disrepectful and VERY pissed, but think about it. You are paying money to a corporation to basically sell you poisen.

I realize it is hard to quit and I wish you the best of luck

Think of all the CPUs you could buy with the money saved from cigarettes

I'm sure you pay money to plenty of corporations that somehow screw others. You buy shoes maybe made in sweatshops...or chinese goods at Wal-Mart that probably helped put American workers out of work...or bought something or pay into something that cause some other bad things to happen. Think about all that you yourself spend your money on, track where it goes, and then come back and tell me that at some point your money didn't go to some corporation that did some harm.

I don't go out and knowingly put money into bad things as a habit...but keep in mind that the company that owns the cigarette brand I smoke also owns a good chunk of the consumer goods market here in the USA (you can guess which company this is I am sure since you BUY THEIR PRODUCTS YOURSELF...do a little research into who owns the companies or name brands of the products you buy...you might be shocked by what you find).

It's a little harder then just sticking a patch on my friend. If your not a smoker you would have absolutly no idea what it takes and if you where a smoker and quit then more power to you... Quiting is alot like ram, just because we both have the same dimms doesnt mean we will get the same performance, all ram acts differently to volts and timings regardless if there the same... So if one thing works for you it doesnt always work for me...

unless you have been a smoker, you can't possibly understand the power of it. Unless you have been a heroin addict, you can't possibly know the power of it. Unless you have been ANY kind of real addict and really addicted to something, you don't have any real sense of what it is. Especially something like smoking or alcohol or drugs that have not only a physical addiction, but an emotional and mental addiction also.

as VT says, what works for you might not work for someone else. It is very easy to come out and say 'just quit' when you don't have any clue as to what kind of power whatever it is the person is supposed to quit has over him or her...and then compound that by you also not understanding the fundamental difference between humans...we are all different...we all deal with things in different ways. You might think you are strong and can quit something. But I bet there's something in your life that you tell yourself 'man, I'll never quit that', or worse, something in your life that you KNOW has some hold on you and you just can't give it up, aren't ready to give it up, or don't want to give it up.

I fall under the power of 'don't want to give it up'. As I said, I know its bad. I make it bad for me and me alone. I choose to. I will kick the crap out of kids if I know them and ever catch them smoking. Their parents even scare them into announcing that they would do the holding-down of the kid while I beat the crud out of him (or worse, make him smoke a carton of smokes, one right after the other, inhaling each time...that cured a LOT of kids to never begin smoking...but some it only delayed it).

It's the worst habit in the world...worse than heroin in the sense that after being locked up for a month or two and moved it can be very hard to find more heroin...but cigarettes can be had at almost ANY store.

but you know what?

its MY habit. I doubt that my pack every-other-day and Rgone's pack or two a day contributes to the mass extermination of some small town in Iowa, or terrorism, or whatever.

Why must I defend myself over MY choices in life when MY choices don't harm anyone but ME?

Don't start smoking. I'll drive to your house and kick your butt. No matter how much bigger than me or tougher than me you think you are.

But don't try and rank me out for my own lifestyle when it has absolutely no bearing on my job, my life, your life, or any other factor that would drive you to judge me over something as ridiculous as me asking that you show a little respect for other people because they choose to do something they know is bad for them.

you should be concerned with you and take care of you. Let me be concerned with me and take care of me. cpuz (and the rest of you) should be concerned with you and take care of yourselves instead of being concerned about what Vector and I (and anyone else that chooses to do things that others dont agree with) do.

you have to learn to allow others to live their lives the way they want to live them. If their lifestyle is harmful to you, sure you have every right to say something. If nothing changes, YOU have the choice to move on/away and not have it affect you anymore. Or is me saying such a thing imposing MY beliefs on you? It probably is so let me retract that and rephrase.

I believe that we, as adults (and even making it to adulthood after all the dumbass things we did like light firecrackers under our feet, or go swimming in drainage canals with a graveyard of broken beer bottles under our feet *which I have a nice scar from thank you*, or grabbing on to the backs of cars and 'hooking' along down the snowy/icy roads at speeds of up to 35mph with only our shoes keeping us from eating a big chunk of road ice, or riding our bikes off a 30' dropoff over a canyon wall into the Snake River, or having BB gun wars in the canyon and not even wearing sunglasses let alone safety goggles for protection, or ingesting giant amounts of alcohol at the senior prom and getting alcohol poisoning and then drinking the very next weekend even tho we might still be sick...I could go on for weeks about the dumb stuff that could have killed us as kids but didn't), once making it into adulthood (and passing the 'natural selection' filter lol), can decide what we want to do with our lives.

I DONT believe we should impose on others neither our possibly deadly habits, nor our beliefs that we think we know more than the other guy what is best for him.

I DO believe in being open minded and while not agreeing with everything others do, at least having respect that the person in question probably did 10x as much as the dumb stuff as a kid and has earned the right as an adult to make his own choices as long as they don't harm/interfere with me and my life because they probably know as well as I do what they are doing is usually not very healthy.

I DON'T believe in telling a fat person they are fat...an anorexic they are too skinny...an alcoholic they are a drunk...I believe they already know this (ask momma about some of this stuff...she'll be honest about it to you)

drink lots of beer if you want...but don't show up at my house at 1AM drunk trying to get me to go with you to the topless bar and making a scene about it in my front yard.

be anti-smoking if you want to, but leave your anti-smoking speeches in your pocket because I have been passed that handbill a zillion times and it always ends up in the trash.

hate me and my long rants and speeches if you wish, or never visit these forums again because you don't like what I have to say on a personal level (and really, this has nothing to do with my work). That is YOUR choice. I may not like it...I may even think some unkind thoughts about you and your decision. That is MY choice.

But I won't make a big deal about it.

Except this time. Since I made a big deal out of it. But I sorta felt like you all were expecting me to reply in some manner.

And I did. And now I am done replying. And going to go play Battlefield2.

And I am going to go outside for a smoke during the map changes.

And you can join the enemy team and form a squad called "I hate Angry_Smoker".

I'll just try to run you down in my Humvee (lol I might even actually go out of my way...no wait...that would be going against what i just said in this big long rant wouldn't it?). :confused:

I'm no :angel:

That was #$^%# hilarious...

A quote from ANGRY SMOKER.....

"If i blow smoke in your asthmatic daughter's face and then drop my cig on your carpet and stub it out...thats pretty bad"

No its not bad...... its really #^%$& up man... :shake:

lol...well...im not disrespectful as a smoker at all...im annoyingly respectful (trust me, ive been accused many times)

i hate bastard smokers who dont care about anyone but themselves...I hate any bastards that only care about themselves...whether they smoke or not.

I'm just a little touchy about people judging others lifestyles (tho we all do it at one time or another...or all the time...)