Sign in to follow this  
Jonny5

Helpful Critique Please

I built this website for the company I work for They hired me to be a graphic designer and asked if i could post their site for them.

It turned out what they needed was a whole new website and I had told them up front i had absolutly no experience with building a web page but that i would give it a shot. This is the result and well i know it needs some tweaks and the catalog pages suck mostly because i made them all in Imageready and then edited them minorly in dreamweaver.

http://www.rainbowtile.com

this is the first site i have ever built, please be gentle.

j5

ps. the intro is about 900k if you want to skip it and it was all made with flash mx, photoshop and illustrator.

awesome job for a first timer! I see nothing wrong there! Definetly great for a first time!

my boss wants me to do the same thing and i dont wanna lol i have tried to build 2 pages for myself so far and givin up both times

I am going to tell you what I think... I don't like it. It makes me think of a bunch of hippies getting high.

Here are some changes I would make (I don't know much about the company, so keep this in mind):

I first thing I would do is get rid of flash. Just make it a normal website. This will make it appear more professional and will appeal more to people with crappy internet connections. Secondly I would get rid of the music. Once again I feel that it is making the site seem less professional and it doesn't fit the site very well. Get rid of black background for a light gray color. It is easier on the eyes, and once again, more professional.

That is my opinion. But I must say that it is a good site for a first-timer.

hey the flash looks real good but JJHx2005 is right. For what your selling you want to tone it down a bit.....and no music....

make the music go away... or tone it way down....

whether people admit it or not... many people surf the web at school (you silly kids!) or at work...

I work at home so it is cool....but if someone is in an office an music comes blasting out...

that would be bad

i agree it is a bit much for what your selling but..... i never knew tile could be that exciting!

I thought the intro was really good, but it was a bit overkill

the same thing but just less as it will load quicker. It almost goes on for 30 seconds - thats probably a bit too much.

the menu intro works nicely, I like that a lot. One thing I didn't like was the menu buttons I thought the font was maybe a bit to big

otherwise, banging first try !!!

I told my boss an simple html site would probably work better but he was dead set against it he wanted our site to be "different" than all the other tile sites out there. I will put a volume kill switch on the intro, thats a good idea. Which i agree is to long but the boss likes it. There are 4 tracks on the main menu and you can turn the music off by moving the volume slider all the way down.

I think the buttons are too big too maybe i'll slim them down a bit, it would give me more room for content. I cant do anything about the black background that was one of those things that was set in stone as far as my bosses were concerned. They think it makes it easier to see the colors of the tiles.

As for the company we specialize in exotic materials and unique installations. I crap you not we have tile here that sells for $499 a square foot! it is this wierd decorative wall tile made out of stainedglass laminated witha ceramic backing. we have alot of stuf that only the really wealthy could afford but considering where the company is located i guess it makes sense.

j5

ps. thanks for the critique i really appreciate it. BTW: I am going to be buildinga portfolio page for myself to display my artwork and animation ofr potential employersin the next month or so, when it is done I will post it for review.

pps. This tile gig is just till i find job in the Game or movie effects industry.

Hmm... If I were you, I'd go for a more professional look... considering it is a business! The intro was WAY too big, I have pity on the customers who have a 56k modem! I would get rid of the intro completely and just start with the home page. If I were you, I would also offer an HTML alternative for users who choose not to load Flash. You'd be good in marketing... I was intrigued by tile!