Vantec Tornado or Vacuum Cleaner

I have a vantec tornado and it's way too loud for everyday use. I also have a 4 fan drive bay controller.

Problem I can't hook up my tornado to the controller cause its molex not 3 prong.....

can I splice the wire to an old little 80 mm fan 3 prong ???

no way would i ever ever do that... you will burn that controller out for sure, and it may even cause perminent cpu/mobo damage at that.

here's what you need to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811998129

don't plug anything else into it though, just the tornado. this is rated at 1.2amps, 0.2 amps over the tornado's usage. you really don't want to max it out either, as in adding more fans to it. it's not worth the risk.

i'd used mine for about a year without it ever failing before switching to water cooling.

i bought that controller out of a total hunch that it would be able to control a tornado, when i got it in my hand and read the specs, i was relieved to find out that it was even a little more than capible. a heck of a nice fan controller, i definitely reccomend it to anyone with a tornado or large power consumption fan.

(please note, this is based on the 92mm version of the tornado)

Guest Joalaielna

I've been running a tornado max fan for 1 year on a vantec controller with no probs. Good luck. it has 1 90mm and 3 80mm fans on it also. :eek2:

The best way to controll your tornado is just buy the vantec nxp-205, It's cheap and works great I have one with 1-92mm tornado and 3-120mm highflow fans and it works great you could use 3 pin or 4 pin molex and it has4 channels and up to 18w per channel. It cost about $25.00 at www.newegg.com. hope this helps.

ps. those tornado's are great but freakin loud lol thats why I ask for a good controller and was told about this one and i really enjoy the peace and quiet lol

Guest burningrave101

You could just 5V or 7V mod it so it runs alot more quiet. Personally i would get rid of it and buy a 92mm Panaflo because you dont need that Tornado for good cooling, especially for a Venice CPU.

Just to beat a dead horse. I'm very happy (thx to some sound advice) to be running my tornado from the PSU but controlling it's speed from the MB header. All it takes a power transistor, HS and some very basic tinkering skills.

• 2 weeks later...