Sign in to follow this  
Shard

AMD FX 57 released...

i've had the FX-55 90nm for about...6 weeks now I think...its just a San Diego core really...same old cpu with 90nm process, SSE3, supposedly better memory controller (but it isnt from what I have seen myself and others)

the 4000+ or low-cost X2 is the better deal

:D ok I'll rephrase that!

Are they, in general, better/worse/similar to the Venice/San Diego or Winchester cores of the current crop of Athlon64 chips?

And in particular handling memory at high (~300) FSB speeds.

i dont run 300FSB since it doesn't do anything but make the memory controller work too hard

i run typically about 230-250 ish and use high multiplier cpu's or low multiplier cpu's on a memory divider so i can keep tight timings

the X2 memory controller is the same as the San Diego memory controller

it will do 4x512 @ DDR400, 2T

the X2 only has a single memory controller (contrary to popular belief that each core has it's own memory controller)

also I read someone say something in these forums about how the X2 benefits with 4x512 vs 2x1024 which is so absolutely false that I can't believe I didn't take him to task over such a statement

i dont run 300FSB since it doesn't do anything but make the memory controller work too hard

Hmm, I never thought of it like that actually... I learn something new every day.

Thanks A_G

also I read someone say something in these forums about how the X2 benefits with 4x512 vs 2x1024 which is so absolutely false that I can't believe I didn't take him to task over such a statement

:eek2::eek::eek2:

the X2 memory controller is the same as the San Diego memory controller

anandtech actually postulated that it might actually be a bit improved:

In testing for the highest CPU Frequency a new record for TCCD memory was achieved. 326 or DDR652 is the highest yet achieved with these double-sided 512MB OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev 2 modules. This improved performance of the TCCD memory is likley the result of an improved memory controller on the dual-core CPU.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2452&p=3

i think everyone's looking at dual cores now instead.

Not everyone. ;)

the 4000+ or low-cost X2 is the better deal

I was gonna call you on this, but I just rechecked prices here in Canada, and found you are right.

When I bought my FX, the 4000+ was less than $100 cheaper. It has since gone down considerably, so yes, it's now a much better buy.Oddly enough, the FX-55 Clawhammer is now priced higher than the SanDiego.

Guest burningrave101

Personally i care nothing about the release of the FX-57 because i would never spend that much on a CPU but the one good thing about it is it places a new CPU at the top of the benchmark charts. If i was going to spend alot on a CPU right now i'd be looking at dual core and not an FX. And yes at least the new Venice/San Diego cores have rather weak memory controllers so their not the best for hitting 300Mhz+. I think the newer BIOS revisions like 618 have helped some with the motherboard compatibility and getting better RAM clocks.