Sign in to follow this  
pkilway

ActiveArmor for the NF4

I have a question. I used to use Zonealarm, but when I saw that the DAGF had support for the nVidia ActiveArmor, I thought it would be the perfect time to ditch the Zonealarm - and besides, there were/are several reviews talking about how using a hardware firewall reduced cpu utilization.

I have ActiveArmor set up and it runs great, but am having just two problems with it.

1) Norton Anti-Virus can't get through the Firewall when I MANUALLY try the Live Update, but the auto update that runs in the background works flawlessly.

2) MS Outlook can not get through the Firewall either. When running the test, Outlook can see the pop and smtp servers, but when it goes to log onto them, it gets an error.

So ActiveArmor isn't letting either of these two programs get through - this problem may even be related. I have "allowed" permissions for just about every *.exe program associated with Outlook and Norton, but can't see to get either to work.

Any help would be appreciated. And just leaving the Firewall off is not an option - I do have sensitive files on this pc and it is on 24/7, so I NEED a firewall on the cable modem period.

Guest Shibby

Dunno about the DAGF, but ActiveArmor is problematic on the Lanparty boards and is not recommended to be installed...sounds like you are having the same problems. If you need a hardware firewall, just about any router has one, so you could pick one of those up if you want.

ActiveArmor problematic on LANparty boards? Better not be... I purchased a rather expensive DFI board due to the "quality seal", and I surely expect the hardware firewall implemented by the nF4 chipset to function properly!

Any experts on this problem? If it IS a well-known problem, then technicians at DFI better be contacted, so that the problem may be addressed and eventually corrected in a forthcoming BIOS update.

Best regards,

IceWing - the Dane.

ActiveArmor crashes my system. I think you may make it to work if you spend enough time tweaking it. It is not DFI who developed this firewall chip and software. It is Nvidia. You better off buying a firewall router.

I had problems with activeArmor as well. I have symantec corporate and the live update seem to work fine for me ... don't know what i did different since it's basically the same program :confused:

I did notice that when ever i started Steam i would get and extra box down on teh task bar as though there was another window open, but you couldn't rid of it, If i were to open something else in steam like servers it would bring up another extran one? Also the update news window was unable to display anyting ...

i don't know if ActiveArmor works like ZoneAlarm, where you can go in an manually open specific ports that you know programs will use, while still blocking the others, but perhaps you can search through the help of the programs and see if it tells what ports the use

my pesonal fix was to uninstall it and reinstall ZonAlarm Pro

Guest Shibby

The quality of the DFI board is fine. Complain to nvidia, they are at fault.

ActiveArmor problematic on LANparty boards? Better not be... I purchased a rather expensive DFI board due to the "quality seal", and I surely expect the hardware firewall implemented by the nF4 chipset to function properly!

Any experts on this problem? If it IS a well-known problem, then technicians at DFI better be contacted, so that the problem may be addressed and eventually corrected in a forthcoming BIOS update.

Best regards,

IceWing - the Dane.

Doesnt matter if the board is DFI or Asus or Abit... the fact remains that the Nvidia NAM (which is how you get to Active Armour) is crap..

Its Nvidia's Drivers/Software NOT the Hardware thats causing the problem.. Plus the fact that a hardware firewall needs a 20mb Apache Server installed doesnt quite say Hardware to me...

if you have a grudge to bear then I suggest you take it up with Nvidia and get them to stop poking thier thumbs up thier butt and sitting on thier elbows and get thier software fixed.. Doesnt work in ANY versions never mind 64 or 32 bit...

Really though a hardware firewall that requires software to work isnt right, which is why I use a hardware firewall in my router instead.. No system resources used at all

I would complain and ask nVidia, but at their website they basically said

NVIDIA provides direct support only for NVIDIA DVD Decoder.

And to contact your mobo manufacturer for specific questions on any of their other products (way to shift the responsibility nVidia!!!).

Guest Shibby

LOL, that's funny (but not ha ha funny). Totally agree with Cythrawl though, even if it was working, it's still a poor excuse for a hardware firewall as it requires software (read: system resources) to run. I wouldn't install it even if it was fine.

Any help would be appreciated. And just leaving the Firewall off is not an option - I do have sensitive files on this pc and it is on 24/7, so I NEED a firewall on the cable modem period.

Then I would NOT EVER use a software firewall solutions at ALL... 24/7 with sensitive files, you NEED a hardware router.. END OF STORY!!!

Go here or buy one more expensive that does more... Really you should not be looking at sofware solution. If your software crashed then your firewall is down.. and if you arent there to see it, then by the time you found out it would already be too late.. If a router crashes, you aint connected to the internet ... period..

Turn router off wait 30 seconds.. then back on is all you need to do....

Please please PLEASE, give this some hard thought....

Dont say I didnt warn you...

Then I would NOT EVER use a software firewall solutions at ALL... 24/7 with sensitive files, you NEED a hardware router.. END OF STORY!!!

Go here or buy one more expensive that does more... Really you should not be looking at sofware solution. If your software crashed then your firewall is down.. and if you arent there to see it, then by the time you found out it would already be too late.. If a router crashes, you aint connected to the internet ... period..

Turn router off wait 30 seconds.. then back on is all you need to do....

Please please PLEASE, give this some hard thought....

Dont say I didnt warn you...

Thanks for the info, looking into it now. Didn't know that the ActiveArmor was a software firewall - I assumed it was a hardware firewall, like nVidia claimed.

Thanks for the info, looking into it now. Didn't know that the ActiveArmor was a software firewall - I assumed it was a hardware firewall, like nVidia claimed.

its a hardware firewall that does not work without software... if it was a TRUE hardware firewall then the software would be built into the hardware, and you would access it using a webbrowser without installing jack . on your OS.

It should be accessable in ANY OS without the need of software, but it doesnt and as it stands you can only use the "hardware firewall" on windows. On any other OS you are screwed.

Oh and if you use stuff like Bit Torrent, Edonkey, etc etc... some ppl will try to tell you that a router does not work well with these apps, or that games dont work. The simple fact is that they DO work you just need to configure your router to make them work. Depending on which one you decide on getting that can range from being piss easy to rock hard... The SMC is nice and easy. It will do the dailing out (PPPOE) so its an always on connection. It can port forward and trigger so you can get ANY game or App working. and it has a stateful Packet Inspection firewall so you can see those hax0r0rs ..

Once you get a good router, you wont look back I promise you.

Also if you do get one, and you get stuck PM me and I will give you my Email for proper help. :)