Sign in to follow this  
Homerboy

Problems with New DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR

I recently picked up a DFI-LanParty and a new AMD64 Venice 3000+ and I'm having 2 show-stopping issues. I've exhausted all my knowledge, and a few others' from Anandtech.com too.

Problem #1: I can't run both stick of RAM no matter what I do. If I run with 1 stick in the first orange slot (#2) and everything is fine. If I try to put the 2nd stick of RAM into slot #4 (orange closest to CPU) the PC will not boot. No Bios no nothing. LED indicators get stuck on detecting RAM (3 lit) and I get continuous long beeps.

Looking at the slots in NV Monitor I see this: http://duba.kicks-butt.net/stuff/slot4.GIF

If you notice slot #4 is reporting "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" which seems to be some sort of error.

Both sticks of RAM are good, as I can run with either one in, but not both. And yes I've tried the 2 yellow slots, and every possible combination.

Problem #2: My PCIE card is not working. If I put the PCIE card into the top or bottom PCIE slot, I get garbage on the screen. The machine seems to be booting up fine, but I cant see or make anything out as its all garbage characters. My card does not require its own 12V connector as its just a 6600GT.

Running a PCI FX1200 right now with n/p except that I cant play anything post 2003 on it :)

I am running with a NeoPower 480 and all 4 power connectors hooked up to the MB. Tried with JUST the C: drive hooked up and same issues as above.

The screenshot is what has me most worried. I'm thinking the board is DOA....

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: It does OC nicely though with the 1 stick in: http://duba.kicks-butt.net/stuff/OC.JPG :D

Guest oRiOn

make a signature so we know what you have. and ditch nTune ASAP, I have heard it has damaged the DFI NF4 boards

edit--

you posted about ram issues without telling us your ram :confused:

1. ""(6.15.05 BIOS)"" that bios was pulled from DFI site as not good and should be removed/deleted and not used.

2. None of us really uses Ntune for anything. It is not really workable on the DFI board because of the much tweakable bios that is not fully able to be understood by Ntune. Get rid of Ntune on the DFI board is my suggestion. One point here and one I 'always' have when using software to look at hardware and take the softwares information as the 'absolute' of truth. We all know windows crashes and is patched almost weekly for something and that any software is always having patch released to fix bug and bug fix creates two more bugs and needs another patch. But yet we think of it is the end all be all of a look at hardware. I rather doubt this is overlly valid. Nuff said.

3. Check with the guys at bleedinedge.com about what timings and voltages they would try to use on their performance series of memory. Looking around in here it is very easy to see the DFI boards liked very well Tcc"X" products and most bought to that. Now the new darling seems to be: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227211

AG the other tech that appears in here all the time has posted that as a fine choice for workablity in stock non-overclocked conditions about 7-8 times in the last 30 hours. Must be something to it.

Trying to see what Ocz recommends is probably the best option at this moment. I have yet to see a board with a truly bad memory socket> only how the board responds with the bios to the various memories and these boards are super picky. Feed them what they do nOt want and they balk and throw craps.

RGone...

Ive tried all the other BIOs. The MB had this issue straight out of the box, I upgraded BIOS is 3.10 (I think thats what is was) and had same problem. THen upgrade to 6.15 BIOS the day it was posted (ironically I emailed DFI tech support with this problem and even after the BIOs was pulled they told me to try the 6.15....)

I wasn't really "using" NTune for anything either. I use ITE Gaurdian, CPU-Z etc. I simply installed NTune after all these problems started to see if it would give me back any information. Which I guess it techically did as that picture demonstrates.

Keep in mind these issues happen at stock, overclocked and even underclocked. I previously had this RAM running in Dual Channel on an Abit NF-7 with a Bartion 2500+ @ 3200+ speeds.

And what about the Video card? Sadly I don't have another PCIE board to test this on.

Hello,

Go back to 310 BIOS.

Do not overclock anything.

Use orange slot.

HOW TO FLASH THE BIOS

Download this run it to make a RAMDRIVE boot disk.

http://www.nerdlabs.org/bootdisks/diskimages/wboot98se.exe

Then get a 2nd disk

- Copy everything in the BIOS zip to it (Extract the files)

- eg, copy awdflash.exe and nf4ld310.bin to it.

- Boot from the RAMDRIVE DISK

- Start computer without cdrom support.

- Once it has loaded insert the 2nd disk.

Type

copy a:*.* c:

Press enter

Type

c:

Press enter

Type

awdflash nf4ld310.bin /f

Press enter

It should flash the BIOS.

- Then you must turn the PC off

- Clear the CMOS using the JBAT jumper, leave it there for 10mins.

- Then put it back and when you power the PC enter the BIOS.

- Load optimised defaults, save and exit.

- Enter the BIOS and go to CMOS reloaded.

- For each profile, save the current settings.

- Then save and exit.

- Now you can enter the BIOS and change the settings.

After that,

Set the memory voltage to 2.8v.

Chipset voltage = MAX out

LDT voltage = MAX out

HTT/FSB = 200Mhz (no overclocking)

Ratio = 1:1

Command per clock...............Disabled

Cas latency...........................2

RAS to CAS delay..................3

Min RAS active time...............6

Row precharge time..............3

Row cycle time......................11

Row refresh cycle time..........14

Row to Row delay.................3

Write recovery time...............2

Write to read delay...............1

read to write delay...............1

Refresh period.......................AUTO

Wrtie CAS latency..................1

DRAM bank interleave.......... .Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................Decrease Skew

DQS Skew Value................................0

DRAM Drive Strength..........................AUTO

DRAM Data Drive Strength..................AUTO

Max Async Latency.............................6ns

Read Preamble Time...........................5ns

Idle Cycle Limit...................................AUTO

Dynamic Counter................................Enable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................AUTO

Bypass Max.........................................AUTO

32 Byte Granularity.............................Disable(8 Bursts)

Save and exit.

Then turn off and put the second stick in (other orange slot.)

And see what happens.

Follow the instructions carefully.

:)

Homerboy,

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm in the process of RMAing the RAM and if that doesn't work then the board is next... and if that doesn't work MSI Neo...

p.s. I can use my older Corsair sticks (xms 256mg X 2) in both orange slots at the same time. SO I feel that the problem is the Ram!

I just had a similar issue. I was exiting World of Warcraft and the game crashed, as it seems to do quite a lot when i quit the application, I think this might be XP 64 edition related but not sure.

Anyhow, when I restarted my board went to 3 LEDs. After nearly soiling myself thinking that I had fried my $1000 CPU and picturing my wife beating me with a shovel, I realized that the CPU had been detected fine and it was the ram that was the problem.

I have the RAM mentioned in my sig in the two orange slots 2 and 4. I pulled out the stick in 2 and just tried with the one in 4, i got the same 3 LEDs. I pulled the stick out of 4 and put it into 2 and it started up fine, so I assume the first time it was because you can't run with one in 4 without one in 2.

Then I shutdown again and put the other stick (which was originally in slot 2) and put it back into slot 2 alone, and got the same 3 LEDs, so I'm thinking now that this stick has "fried" for lack of a better word.

I guess my situation is a little different, but thought I would chime in anyhow, just so you had the information.