Sign in to follow this  
Cazlone

New Build - WinXP wont install

I've just built myself a new system based on the DFI NF4 sli-DR MB, with A64 3700+ SD. I put everything together, plugged all the power connectors in to the relevant places and booted into the BIOS. It all looked good, I was able to detect all the drives and memory, the fans were working etc.

However, after coming out of the BIOs, rebooting and trying to install WinXP Pro from the disc, the machine reads from the CD, tehn posts " Setup is testing your hardware configuration....." and just sits there. For hours. Nothing happens.

Clearly I've got some sort of hardware config problem. Ive checked all the cables and reseated everything. Only thing I noticed was that onthe MB floppy style power connector, the manual says the right hand pin (pin1) is +12V. My TAGAN PSU's FDD connector will only fit into the slot one way round, and it shows the pin 1 connector is +5V. Am I mistaken or is this a problem?

Any help would be appreciated - I've checked the various guides on installation, and I will follow them (resetting bios, one set of DDR only, etc etc), but any other views would be appreciated.

haha i had xp install problems too :)

try turning off CPC - ie make the command timing 2T instead of 1T...

I've heard people say that there's something backwards in the manual; that's probably it.

For the install, get rid of one of your RAM sticks, and make sure you're memtest stable with the one you keep. A lot of people have had problems that only occur at XP install (put the other stick back in after install).