OC 3200+ W.Core

I've been trying to overclock my CPU and been having some issues. I cant seem to find a setting that allows stable overclocking, but yet again I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong. Nevertheless, I have reset the bios back to the defaults until I know exactly how it should be setup.

What genie settings would you recommend I start at for my chip?

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Chick this thread. There are some 3200+ and 3500+ Winnies there. Try thoses settings. I tried to follow those, but I am having little luck...

I did try a number of those settings last night, but it would reboot just before windows started.

Jess

I think that you need to be clear what you are doing.

Before being able to work towards your final setuo, you need to find

a. How far your CPU will go

b. How far your memory will go,

THe factors that affect how far you can push your CPU are.

-THe week of your CPU

-The mood the little elves were in when building your particular CPU - every one is different

-How much volts you give your CPU

-THe temperature of your CPU - i.e. how you cool it.

-Your power supply.

And that's about it.

Before you start OC ing - you need to be certain you are stable at defaults - that you can memtest and run prime 95 overnight (on different nights of course)

THen start ramping up your FSB, put your memory on dividers to keep the memory at around 200mhz; and use the built in memtest to see if your rig remains stable.

With luck, you can reach 2.4ghz at stock voltages; if you have decent cooling. To go beyond that your CPU will needs some volts. Giving some juice to th LDT and chipset is probably also worthwhile when testing, then ease off on the volts. Work from stability - then modify things to make it less stable by pushing it.

So; detail is what you need. And don't try watercooled voltages on a stock heatsink. Search the fora till you are happy at how much voltage you are willing to give your processor - more volts = less lifespan.

more volts and more heat = a lot less lifespan.

more volts and less heat is the compromise on my rig.

Do not just blindly copy other peoples settings - unless they have exactly the same memory and processor and cooling system as you it won't work.

But crib the memory settings page, and choice of BIOS from people with thew same memory; and the CPU voltage and speed based on people with the same cooling and processor.

Okay done some testing...

Stock

Idle:29C

3DMark05 - 4796

@2.1ghz

Idle:29C

Load: 34C

3DMark05 - 4850

@2.2ghz

Idle: 30C

Load: 35C

3DMark05 - 4845

Not sure why my score went down, might of been a driver change that I did. With these temps, should I continue up to 2.3?

Okay I got it stable at 2.4 but only after I put the DRAM Freq at 180 (9/10)

CPU VID Startup Value = 1.425

CPU VID Control = 1.450

CPU VID Special Control = Above Vid * 110

BIOS reads CPU core Voltage as 1.57

Temp is now about 35-36 idle. At what temp should I start to cut back?

Ok so you got the memory running 240 * (180/200) = 216 Mhz

I would try the 166 divider next - so 240*(166/200) = 200Mhz :)

Since you know now the memory handles 216Mhz, you can try to raise the cpu speed some more.

Idle temps doesn't say much really , you need to look at the full load temps. 55°C max i'd say.

3d05 is a really bad bench for cpu/mem because it tests almost exclusively the GPU :) the old 3d01 is better for this

Some other benchies i recommend are aquamark3 , super_pi , OCCT and SP2004.

ALso Memtest for windows is a great tool , it detects errors quickly.

good luck