Sign in to follow this  
Schmave

New Rig Problem - DFI nF4 Ultra-D + Video card problems

i don't know man ... try this take your card to a computer store (BestBuy, CompUSA ... what ever is near you) see if you can talk one of the guys into putting your card into one of thier PC to see if it will boot .... then you will know that the card is dead(or not) ... my friend did this with his ram

like you he had the ram in it worked fine ... i help him put it together and load windows ... then like a day later it just stoped loading windows. He ran memtest got severall errors, took it to the store and it wouldn't boot in one of thier working pc's, so he RMA'd it and now he's running fine

it is weird though if it was Dead you would expect that it would work at all but it may require more knowledge on how they are built to know how bad hardware can seem to work fine for a little while ?

Alright, well I'll try going over to CompUSA then and see if they can test it in one of their computers. Thanks for all the help everyone.

I will concur with the others in saying that Corsair Value Select is not the greatest in combination with these boards. I will say, however, that you shouldn't have trouble getting it stable with the most relaxed settings possible. Unless you killed it, it should work.

My settings to get RAM stability are in my sig. The rest are on auto. If you are having problems with the memory, try using them. I haven't yet tried tweaking back into more aggressive settings, performance-wise. I would like them to run at 1T or maybe with bank interleave enabled... but this is the most stable I've been with this combination.

I would check out the video card first though. Good luck.

J

Well, I took it to a shop and they tested the video card in another machine and could not get it to POST. So it looks like the video card is busted. So I'll have to RMA the card. But it concerns me a little that when I put the video card in the first PCI-E slot the board hangs with 3 LEDs lit, but if I put it in the other slot it boots all the way until VGA Detected. I hope the motherboard didn't kill the video card and the PCI-E slot it was in. Well, I'll RMA the video card and see if a new one works in the first PCI-E slot on the mobo. If not, maybe I'll RMA the motherboard as well.

killerjay, when I get a new video card I'll play with the RAM timings, though I don't think the RAM is causing my problem.