Dual 7800 GTX and Ultra X-Connect

thanks for the info, i will look into a new power supply tonight! :)

i know people who run the vantec stealth 520w for their sli setups, they seem to have no problems whatsoever

Get rid of the X-Connect!

The Vantec 520W is fine for non-SLI, it is NOT enough for SLI. :shake:

The cheapest SLI Certified solution is the Antec True Power II 550W @new egg for only $89.

Check the PSU Guide for more info.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pair of X-Connects awhile back, for a mod I was working on (they sure are purdy). One of them is still running my intel rig, and has been, 24/7 for nearly 5 mos. now.

That's a 3.2C/Zalman CNPS 7700, 1 Gig of PC3200 ram, an Audigy 2ZS Platinum, AIW X800XT, 2 opticals, 2- 74G Raptors, a Musketeer, an Aerogate 2 and 7- 80mm led fans (folding 24/7), so it's not a terrible unit.

That being said,when I started putting my new rig together, I was going to temporarily use the other X-Connect, with a 20->24 pin adapter, but it seems a batch of these adapter cables were pinned wrong at the factory, and I wasted three days troubleshooting before I figured it out.

Before the replacement they sent me arrived, I had what I'm now running installed, and wouldn't even consider using the X-Connect. The DFI is a different beast altogether, and the OCZ has been flawless.

I bought a pair of X-Connects awhile back, for a mod I was working on (they sure are purdy). One of them is still running my intel rig, and has been, 24/7 for nearly 5 mos. now.

That's a 3.2C/Zalman CNPS 7700, 1 Gig of PC3200 ram, an Audigy 2ZS Platinum, AIW X800XT, 2 opticals, 2- 74G Raptors, a Musketeer, an Aerogate 2 and 7- 80mm led fans (folding 24/7), so it's not a terrible unit.

That being said,when I started putting my new rig together, I was going to temporarily use the other X-Connect, with a 20->24 pin adapter, but it seems a batch of these adapter cables were pinned wrong at the factory, and I wasted three days troubleshooting before I figured it out.

Before the replacement they sent me arrived, I had what I'm now running installed, and wouldn't even consider using the X-Connect. The DFI is a different beast altogether, and the OCZ has been flawless.

Be careful, if you got that X-Connect this year, then when it fails you may lose mobo/video.

If you got it last year, it should be fine as long as you don't load it too much.

Be careful, if you got that X-Connect this year, then when it fails you may lose mobo/video.

Got them about 6mos. ago, but they were old stock, (without the sata cables, that they never did come good for). Mind if I ask where you came by this info?

Well to answer anyone else's questions regarding power consumption, the 7800 GTX uses less power then the 6800 ultra's because it is architecturely advanced just like the difference between the 6800 ultra and the 5950 ultra. The 6800 ultra consumed around 80 watts at full load.

without a doubt pc power n cooling's PSU is tough to beat...if u can afford that is! we dun have em here so plus shipping and all, it will burn a hole in my pocket jus for a PSU heh. but i've read nothing but excellent reviews about them. well okaaaay they dun have modular cables and glowy UV sleevings :rolleyes:

Guest kerclaps
I wouldn't touch an Ultra-X with a 10ft pole. A buddy of mine bought one because it "looked cool" and it was blowing black smoke within a month.

LOL:nod:

I have monitored my PSU (Aspire 500W) for a year using various software programs, MBM5 (when I was using an MSI K8T MB), Sandra Environment Monitor, Speed Fan, others. It has always been reported as maintaining steady voltages, but, a little low. My 12V reads from 11.65 to 11.85, 3.3V 3.18 to 3.23. I'm not aware of any stability issues. Anyone think this is a problem with my rig?

Guest burningrave101
I have monitored my PSU (Aspire 500W) for a year using various software programs, MBM5 (when I was using an MSI K8T MB), Sandra Environment Monitor, Speed Fan, others. It has always been reported as maintaining steady voltages, but, a little low. My 12V reads from 11.65 to 11.85, 3.3V 3.18 to 3.23. I'm not aware of any stability issues. Anyone think this is a problem with my rig?

You wont get accurate readings with software. You'll have to use a DMM to measure the rails individually. As long as your rails are reporting within spec which is +/- 5% and as long as your aren't having PSU related problems then i wouldn't worry about it.