Chipset fan location

Anybody else notice that the chipset fan on the SLI DR board is located in such a way that it is just a piece of paper close to the video card when pugged in? (Esepecially for the 6800 cards) Is there a thinner aftermarket fan to get it away a bit more? Anyone having card seating issues? It seems as if it were even just a whisper closer it would stop the fan even. Anybody watercooling their chipset? I can't see how to get 1/2" tubing in there and from what I understand this chipset runs hot to so I'd like to watercool it. Any block recommendations? Anybody using a danger den maze block on it?

I just just got an ultra-d non sli and a 6600GT and asked this very same question on this forum. Lots of people here have the issue but they say as long as the fan blades and the vid card don't touch it's ok if the card rests on the fanguard itself. I thought about it though, and I was planning to remove the chipset fan to see if there is a thermal pad underneath. If there is...I will take it off and put down some thermal paste. This might give an extra millimeter or so of clearance. Well...thats what I am planning to try. As for using a waterblock on the chipset...I don't see how that would work unless you use a really short card ...heh

Ummm..post a sig so everyone knows what gear you are using

maybe you should learn to use to search button ...

there are a lot of topics about the chipset

there is a thermal pad under it, and yes you better remove that and put some as5 or something on it

there are also waterblocks for the chipset

see here

Originally posted by $anka

there is a thermal pad under it, and yes you better remove that and put some as5 or something on it

I would not recommend you moving the square thermal pad off. It is there to keep it in place. If you remove it, the pushy screws will not hold it in place.

What you can do is set your jumpers in SLI mode and put your card in the second slot. you will get 8x instead of 16x, but there is no substancial difference. Only about 100 point difference in 3dmark05

Is there a way to remove the fan guard? that would be enough.

Saw those blocks thanks and as you see in my sig I run copper blocks those are brass. any disimilar metal reactions to worry about? corrosion?

Guest scaramonga
I would not recommend you moving the square thermal pad off. It is there to keep it in place. If you remove it, the pushy screws will not hold it in place.

Rubbish!

It holds in place perfectly........ :) had it like that since I build my rig........a little AS5 and it sits flush.....remove the stupid silver plate also for a little more clearance......

:nod:

Guest Dangermouse

I just installed a vantec iceberq HSF, and it almost fits. The graphics card (ATI x800xl) puts enough pressure on it that the fan makes a funny buzzing noise. I'm gonna mess around tonight, see if I can make it fit, but I don't think it will fit any better than the stock one. Sure does look nicer though.