Sign in to follow this  
CybrWlf

[RESOLVED]HOOKUP 12V 4pin>> 4 red diag lights=no BOOT

This is my situation. Building a brand new box. I have the PSU, motherboard, cpu, video and memory in place. I try and power on the unit. I get no video response nor any audio (post beeps) and 4 red diag lights on mobo. I remove every except the PSU, mobo, and CPU (thinking I'll get no memory beeps). No Audio and still 4 red diag lights. Just for the Heck of it (and cause it was late and I was tired) I removed the CPU and power on just the mobo. No Beeps and same 4 diag lights.

When I first started I had the 24 pin cable, a "regular" 4 pin molex (the kind used on HD/cdroms), and the small "floppy" sized on as well. At some point in my many boot attempts I removed all but the 24 pin power. I noticed no differance and no lights changing on diag so I assumed they wer to power onboard items such as sound/sata/etx.

Is this a bad board? am I doing something wrong? If it is a bios issue how can I flash it if I can't even boot it? I willing to do just about ANYTHING at this point. I just want to know what anything is.

BTW This is my first DFI and first Athon64, but I'm not a novice PC builder. Suggestions?

There should be four power connections from the PSU to the motherboard. If you do not have all four connected, you are asking for trouble. They are: 24 pin, 4 pin 12V (square), 4 pin molex (hdd/cd-rom) and 4 pin floppy.

4 red lights means not detecting cpu... if I remember correctly. Can you verify the cpu in another motherboard or a friend's computer or something?

G'luck.

J

Guest Shibby

Yeah, sounds like your forgetting the 12V connector, it's right under the 24-pin connector - very important. Also, keep trying with just one memory stick (try swapping sticks if you continue to have problems). Don't use both until you are able to memtest them each separately or you are at least confident that you are booting up okay.

@Killerjay - Where in rural manitoba?

You are in the same spot I was in on my first build. Keep posting and let these good people help you out. How is it looking now?

PLW321

You guys are great, it was a couple of things combine but in the end you guys were right . Power was my main problem. The vital missing link was that my PSU doesn't have a 4 pin cable but an 8 pin that I thought was for the BTX stuff( it's suppose to be compatible). I then found the adapter that took the 8 pin to the square 4 pin and post beeps were heard.

Thanx all and remeber to check ALL your boxes when you buy new stuff (almost threw out that vital adapter)!!!

Guest Shibby

Good stuff buddy! Glad the problem was easily solved.